Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Things that gladden the heart?

The old (~70ish) guy who plays on our local public course every day. A retired builder who hacks his way around with a motley collection of rescued clubs (once told me proudly how he'd retrieved a broken driver and had it re-shafted for nz$100). Always has a beer in his hand – even at 9am – and feeds and names all the magpies (Aussie magpies, vicious and big).

If not him, the island dude who strolled across from the 9th to the 10th with bare feet and a single iron in hand. Hit it a country mile too.

Real people who play this game just because. Love 'em.

bm

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just found a Facebook Group called "Golf Rules."

One question was a bloke reckons he was told it was a rules breach to use an old tee you pick up on the Tee!

That's enough. Left group immediately!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Could be if it's over 4 inches you can never be to sure.:unsure:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Our club hosted the handicap league finale on Sunday and was great to hear the positive feedback on the course from the likes of SAOL and Fairhaven members saying how great the course condition was and how the greens were the best they had played on all year.

venger

Visit site
10pm phone call on Saturday night from younger brother. "Someone's pulled out. If you can get yourself to Berkshire(2 hours away) for a 7:30am start theres a place for you." Arrive at course 5 mins before tee off (deleted expletive tractors) no time to warm up, course i've never played before. No penalty shots, no lost balls, breaks 100 for the 1st time, finishes top of the table. Happy days.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Heritage course is members and guests only so I expect you will be on the International, which is still a great course. Lots of water but quite wide open and usually set up for societies. You’ll have fun.
Turns out we are on the Heritage for some reason! Just saw the email today. Some of these guys have only played golf 5 times or less, I can see a lot of balls being lost..

sunshine

Visit site
Turns out we are on the Heritage for some reason! Just saw the email today. Some of these guys have only played golf 5 times or less, I can see a lot of balls being lost..

I played the Heritage the day after the European Open and it was hard as nails. Rough grown long, especially around the greens, chipping was a nightmare, tightened fairways, rock hard greens it was like putting on a glass table, pins all tucked away. It was a great experience to understand how a course is set up for the final day of a European tour event. But I hope you have a nice friendly set up on the day!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Got let through today in one slick manoeuvre by 3x3 balls of Scottish lads playing at Morgado.

The first group took a wrong turn on after the 10th green realised it, and sorted the hold up it caused.

One guy said he was from Prestwick, good folk all of them.

Shout out to them for their good manners

sjw

Visit site
Hitting your ball into the trees, not seeing it land, thinking it's going to be lost in all the leaves, be on the verge of giving up after hopelessly looking for a couple of minutes, and then turning round and seeing that it's actually bounced into the fairway somehow :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hitting your ball into the trees, not seeing it land, thinking it's going to be lost in all the leaves, be on the verge of giving up after hopelessly looking for a couple of minutes, and then turning round and seeing that it's actually bounced into the fairway somehow :)
We call that FraggerLuck.....he's a Master of it....

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Bought a lovely set of Lillywhite Frowd woods a while ago, but the driver required whipping repair.

whipping LF.jpg

Gave it to my club pro to do, as I don't have any suitable thread.

He gave it back to me yesterday and he'd done a super job.
The quick conversation went, "Oh thanks, I hope you've deducted a suitable amount from my account."
He replied, "Nah, forget about it."
What a great chap!