Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
True enough, other than the two nice courses I played on last year's H4H forum meet. Have certainly never played at the London Club, there looks to be a lot of water there. I don't know which course we're on but both look similar. Should be fun, I might lose a couple of balls though. ? Not as many as the guys I'll be playing with probably. One or two them genuinely said they've only played 3 or 4 rounds of golf, full stop. ?

Edit: In other news you might be interested in, I've just booked to play West Herts for the first time next Friday on my birthday.

London Club is a great set up. Both courses are in fantastic condition but the International is the friendlier of the 2 and much more playable. It's not that long unless the wind is blowing.

the clubhouse is nice but its very corporate

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
@Orikoru you’ll enjoy the London club. Get there early and make use of the facilities, they’re excellent. Might need a credit card if you’re paying for food though.

It was in great nick when I played it earlier this year, greens ran great and were very fast.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Orikoru you’ll enjoy the London club. Get there early and make use of the facilities, they’re excellent. Might need a credit card if you’re paying for food though.

It was in great nick when I played it earlier this year, greens ran great and were very fast.
We've got two meals included in our package so we're good to go. At least I hope I'm not going to receive a bill afterwards. ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driving the bunker on 18 for the first time, usually end up in it.

Gap wedge to the green, which I proceeded to pull into the greenside bunker though ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Played a vets Stableford this morning and played pretty crap. But I bought a new 50° Cleveland RTX wedge yesterday to replace a Vokey that got lost some weeks back on the course and not handed in. I hit it on the first three holes, 2 full shots and one chip and ...........

It is flippin awesome! I probably used it 10 times in the game and it did everything I asked of it, full hit, chip and run, even a bunker shot ??

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
My daughter's first ever handicap cut - from 54 to 51!

and today, 4 days later, she scored 48
points off her new handicap, net 12 under par. Her best gross round by miles. By my calculations she’ll be cut 13 shots in 5 days. She’s been stuck at 54 for about 18 months then it’s just clicked!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
After years of patience my 15 y/o son has finally been bitten by the golf bug. Half way through the summer holidays I got him out on the course and now I can’t get him off, wish I’d have just got him out there sooner!

3 weeks in and he’s watching more YouTube than I am and is desperate to break 100. Lots of 9 hole scores around the 53-57 range and 2 18’s at 121 & 118. It’s easy to see how he can beat 100, he just needs to stay focused and patient - something that I’ve come to appreciate recently. He’s had his first lesson and improved dramatically afterwards which is very encouraging.

Hope he realises how bleak it can be in winter ?

Attachments

• 6528CC57-8831-441D-BB54-B98E0B3F6802.jpeg
    6528CC57-8831-441D-BB54-B98E0B3F6802.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 31

NeilV

Visit site
Spent an hour on the range with one of my regular group, who is 70 and has been battling cancer for the last 10+ years. Been given 6 months to live twice now.

He's always enjoyed his afternoon out, but had lost a lot of distance and was getting despondent and worrying about holding everyone else up. Got him hitting the ball much better (nothing major as I'm not a coach) and watching him enjoying his game again and scoring consistently has been great. He's 20 odd shots better now and as fast a player as anyone I've played with.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Missed out on club championship this weekend past ☹️ but upside is being in Lisbon with Mrs SiLH ?? and this morning discovering that the nett prize was won with -8 over 36 holes, and I am pretty darned sure I wouldn’t have been able to do that - which makes the missing of it all the easier, and indeed to an extent gladdens the heart.

Swango1980

Visit site
I've estimated I've played over 3,000 rounds of golf in my life. However, yesterday I did something I've never done when playing an Open at an away course (off white tees). I had 7 birdies.

I had a couple after 4 holes (and still after 9), and then another couple early in the back 9. However, from the 15th-17th probably played by best run of 3 holes ever. 15th needed a long drive to get to the corner, to see the green on a tight dogleg right. Had gap wedge in, hit it to about 5ft to a tricky pin position. Birdie. 16th was 180 yard par 3. Played a 7iron over the pin, leaving myself with a 20foot birdie putt (to equal my previous record). Birdie. 17th left myself 195 yards to par 5 green in 2, in which the green was just over a lake. Hit a great hybrid onto the green. Hit the eagle putt to a couple of inches. Would have been great to make, but as the putt was about 30 foot, I was more nervous about 3 putting and not getting my record 7th birdie, so I was delighted to see the putt finish for a tap in.

3 birdies on my Saturday round, so 10 birdies on a weekend must also be a record for myself.

It is just a pity that I still have several car crash holes per round.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I've estimated I've played over 3,000 rounds of golf in my life. However, yesterday I did something I've never done when playing an Open at an away course (off white tees). I had 7 birdies.

I had a couple after 4 holes (and still after 9), and then another couple early in the back 9. However, from the 15th-17th probably played by best run of 3 holes ever. 15th needed a long drive to get to the corner, to see the green on a tight dogleg right. Had gap wedge in, hit it to about 5ft to a tricky pin position. Birdie. 16th was 180 yard par 3. Played a 7iron over the pin, leaving myself with a 20foot birdie putt (to equal my previous record). Birdie. 17th left myself 195 yards to par 5 green in 2, in which the green was just over a lake. Hit a great hybrid onto the green. Hit the eagle putt to a couple of inches. Would have been great to make, but as the putt was about 30 foot, I was more nervous about 3 putting and not getting my record 7th birdie, so I was delighted to see the putt finish for a tap in.

3 birdies on my Saturday round, so 10 birdies on a weekend must also be a record for myself.

It is just a pity that I still have several car crash holes per round.
I didn't have as many as you, but the four birdies I had yesterday very much gladdened the heart, however I have the same problem and three car crash holes led to doubles, if I can cut them out I can post a low one!

sjw

Visit site
I didn't have as many as you, but the four birdies I had yesterday very much gladdened the heart, however I have the same problem and three car crash holes led to doubles, if I can cut them out I can post a low one!
I wish my car crash holes only led to doubles!

Springveldt

Visit site
After playing 3 of the 4 par 5's into a very stiff breeze finally get to the last one down wind and hitting it right out the middle 333 yards (2nd longest drive ever, got to love rock hard heathland fairways) and leaving 185 yards to the pin.

Off to the Irritations thread now as I chunked the 7 iron approach 80 yards into a fairway bunker. :ROFLMAO: