Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Living in such a wee place its rare for me to get to play a course for the 1st time (basically have to wait for one to be built) but this Saturday I’ll get my first crack at La Reserve Golf Links co-design by Louis Oosthuizen
It’s been open 9 months but only to members and guests. It hosted a DPWT event 4 weeks after opening, won by Oosthuizen & features a funky short par 4 with a bunker in middle of the green

Really looking forward to it & zero expectations of scoring, well but should be fun

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Living in such a wee place its rare for me to get to play a course for the 1st time (basically have to wait for one to be built) but this Saturday I’ll get my first crack at La Reserve Golf Links co-design by Louis Oosthuizen
It’s been open 9 months but only to members and guests. It hosted a DPWT event 4 weeks after opening, won by Oosthuizen & features a funky short par 4 with a bunker in middle of the green

Really looking forward to it & zero expectations of scoring, well but should be fun
Enjoy. Isn't there a similar hole at Riviera on the PGA tour with a bunker in the green? Might not be there

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just had a look at La Reserve

La Reserve bunker.jpg

A bit of a gimmick in my opinion. But I do like the long thin green on what looks like the following hole - might be a par-3.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve got a G425 SFT and am toying with tuning it down from 10.5 to 9. I drive well generally however they can go pretty high and slightly right to left, I’m hoping that taking it down to 9 will take a little bit of height off as well being a bit straighter - was that your experience?
The reason he put the loft down was just that I was getting too much spin (in his view) when it was at 10.5. I think when I get the club I might play it at 9.5 rather than 9 though. He fitted me with ProV1s I think and I stupidly forgot to tell him that I use softer, lower spinning balls on the course. At 9 I'd be a little worried about hitting one thin and it not really getting off the ground. Overall though I think the 430 just launches higher than the 410. Generally speaking lowering the loft opens the face slightly so you might be right about it reducing your right to left.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
The next 6 scores to drop out of my 20 has only one in my best 8.
The 7th score to drop off is my 8th best. That could become a non-counting if I can beat it.
I'm very hopeful that September will see a downward trend to the HI.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He walked in with Lottie and Sarah Byrne after they won their match on the 17th…he seemed a real nice guy and very supportive of the girls and the GB&I team as a whole.

I had a great day at Sunningdale following a couple of matches with a good number of members from my club. Weather was cracking…and such good support…big crowds for the amateur game - including great Irish support making a lot of noise 👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Shared morning Curtis Cup foursomes at Sunningdale. GB&I girls going toe-to-toe with the Americans - score now 4.5 each after nine matches. Fourballs this afternoon.

With the Americans overall very significantly higher in world rankings you’d imagine that GB&I need to have a lead going into tomorrow’s singles. But so far they’ve already equalled the 4.5 pts they got in the 15.5/4.5 drubbing last time out. Go girls!

For any interested (and why wouldn’t any keen golfer be 🤷‍♂️) Live scoring and live R&A TV here…also on Sky Sports Mix from 1pm.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played my first 18 holes since March on Thursday, using a buggy because of my knee.
No adverse reactions, though still suffering a bit at night.
I'm so chuffed that I've got another 18 holes booked for this afternoon and I'm planning on walking it with a trolly.
Stoked!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Discovering that as a member of Wildernesse, I can play Tandrige on a Monday for £35! That'll be another UK bucket list course ticked off in 2024!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yet another great day of matchplay golf at Sunningdale.

GB&I give themselves a great chance of winning the Curtis Cup tomorrow. Leading 6-4 they only need 3.5pts out of 8 matches. That’s a big ‘only’.

Anyway…a shocking (but perhaps not totally unexpected) Club Champ 1st round today saw me miss the cut for tomorrow’s second…so it’s off to Sunningdale for me.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watching the singles of the Curtis Cup on TV. Sunningdale looks stunning. Unfortunately I’ve never played there and with today’s prices I probably never will.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Mimi Rhodes.
2 down after 10
3 birdies in 4 holes to be 1 up after 14. (y)
This could be the crucial point or even half to win the match.

Massive 6&5 win for her younger sister Patience. (y)