Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
HI index is trending down and I have a few rounds before a counting score drops off. However I am back to where I started at the club when I joined it over 8 years ago. They allocated me a 9 hcp , having been a 5hcp at a harder club prior, but work and family life took its toll on my game.
The irony was yesterday I was 8 over par but threw 9 shots with some dreadful putts.. but stableford allows this to happen.
What pleased me was my driver and actually seeing a distance return for effort. Although I was confused with some of my iron distances and chose to chase it at times and was too easy at others.
But it’s all positive.. 🙂

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Getting accepted today for membership at Wildernesse Golf Club!
Now to save up for the joining fee! 🤣

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Had a brief chat with my coach yesterday about my ball striking feeling dead. I explained what I think could be at the root of things - keeping my hands too ‘quiet’ through the swing and strike - and he agreed that I’d rather taken ‘quiet hands’ too far and beyond when he needed me to think that.

When changing my swing path from strong in2out with fast hands at the last moment, to out2in I had to stop the hands bit, as that was old path, until I had the path changed. I’ve now pretty much done that so can bring hands back into play.

Straight onto the range following the chat, and it immediately felt better.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a brief chat with my coach yesterday about my ball striking feeling dead. I explained what I think could be at the root of things - keeping my hands too ‘quiet’ through the swing and strike - and he agreed that I’d rather taken ‘quiet hands’ too far and beyond when he needed me to think that.

When changing my swing path from strong in2out with fast hands at the last moment, to out2in I had to stop the hands bit, as that was old path, until I had the path changed. I’ve now pretty much done that so can bring hands back into play.

Straight onto the range following the chat, and it immediately felt better.
Wish I knew what half of that meant! :ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lottie Woad (of my parish) is this year’s winner of the women’s Mark H McCormack Medal…awarded to the #1 Amateur Woman in the WAGR rankings. She’s the first ever British female winner…and it get’s her automatic entry into next year’s pro Women’s US and British Opens (assuming she stays amateur until after they have been played).

She’ll be awarded it either in St Andrews next week during the Women’s Open or at end of month at Sunningdale during the Curtis Cup.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wish I knew what half of that meant! :ROFLMAO:
It’s all about changing what I did for nearly four decades. A quite flat and strong in to out swing that required fast hands just prior to and through impact to straighten up the club face. It gave me a lovely low draw…until it didn’t and instead gave me chronic shanks.

In changing to an out to in swing path I had to stop my ‘fast hands’. Which is what I have now done, but I can allow myself to introduce a bit of ‘hand action’ (as it were) as my persisting with a lack of it (I called ‘quiet’ hands) has been causing me issues.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a lesson - being told that I am hitting my 5i fine - that my shots with it look poor and don’t go any further than when using my 7i is simply down to my not having sufficient clubhead speed to make the club work for me. I am hitting it fine. But if I want to hit a 5i the distance and carry I’d expect I have to significantly increase clubhead speed - and that isn’t going to be easy for me. It’s both an age thing and a ‘what do I want to get out of my golf’ thing.

Now that’s an irritation…but actually on reflection it’s a good thing as I can stop trying to hit my 5i thinking I’ll be able to carry 160yds and hit it maybe 175yds. I can still carry it to use it in different ways.

That understanding and reaching acceptance over it means I can look at a 5 or 6 hybrid that will give me that carry and distance without having to increase my clubhead speed. And that gladdens the heart.