Fee for Supplementary Card

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never heard of this before, I would of thought it would be part of the handicaps secretary normal duties.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the zoo we get charged a quid as an "admin fee" but as it can take up to a month to process a card I'm not sure what we're paying for........

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We charge £2. The pro does registration and score entry and get £1. The club gets £1 towards the computer costs.
Normal comps have the same additional charge(s) over the sweep and 2s club entry. The pro doesn't do score entry but does do card reconciliation.
Players pay for the computer according to their usage and it goes to fund trophies etc.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Absolutely ridiculous.

You pay your fees - club should just process the card. Do the club's that charge £1 computer costs also charge you extra for toilet paper if you need to have a number 2?

You sign a book that you are playing a supplementary round. You submit your card. The match secretary (who is a voluntary role) processes said card.

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
Wait... What... People actually have to pay to enter a supplementary card. Absolutely ridiculous idea, pay my fees for my annual membership and that includes things like handicap being regulated properly as part of the handicap committee.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It really depends on the type of club and the frequency of submission of supplementaries. Clubs operating in a proprietary setup very often rely on a proportion of competition fees to pay for their administration costs such as handicapping software, computers etc.. If there were a significant number of members submitting supplementaries rather than paying competition entry fees, that could present a possible financial issue. A player who submitted only 3 supplementaries a year to maintain "c" status would not be contributing anything to the club's running costs if there was no charge - a little unfair on the other members. Not all clubs are the same.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It really depends on the type of club and the frequency of submission of supplementaries. Clubs operating in a proprietary setup very often rely on a proportion of competition fees to pay for their administration costs such as handicapping software, computers etc.. If there were a significant number of members submitting supplementaries rather than paying competition entry fees, that could present a possible financial issue. A player who submitted only 3 supplementaries a year to maintain "c" status would not be contributing anything to the club's running costs if there was no charge - a little unfair on the other members. Not all clubs are the same.

Surely that's paid for in your subscription and also "competition" fees.

To make money off of members who may require to submit a supplementary or simply wish to play under "competition conditions" is very poor show and actually poor management.

I'd actually go and enter an away competition rather than pay for a supplementary card at my home course.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely that's paid for in your subscription and also "competition" fees.

Not in every case, not all clubs are the same as I said. We have 2 clubs under the umbrella of a proprietary outfit. Subscriptions to the company cover the provision and maintenance of both courses and practise facilities and the provision of the clubhouse and catering facilities. Both clubs are responsible for raising funds to pay for office costs including computers, handicapping software and everything else the clubs need to operate as a club.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not in every case, not all clubs are the same as I said. We have 2 clubs under the umbrella of a proprietary outfit. Subscriptions to the company cover the provision and maintenance of both courses and practise facilities and the provision of the clubhouse and catering facilities. Both clubs are responsible for raising funds to pay for office costs including computers, handicapping software and everything else the clubs need to operate as a club.

Which should all be included in the subscription and competition entry fees.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Absolutely ridiculous.

You pay your fees club should just process the card. Do the club's that charge £1 computer costs also charge you extra for toilet paper if you need to have a number 2?

You sign a book that you are playing a supplementary round. You submit your card. The match secretary (who is a voluntary role) processes said card.
Not had a #2 there so not sure...
But , yep, we get charged....:poop:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A significant number of our members do not play in competitions or even have a handicap.
They see no reason why they should pay for handicap maintenance systems and trophies.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wonder if this will be sustainable when WHS comes in in November when presumably the number of cards submitted as Acceptable Rounds outside competitions will increase significantly.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm probably on the side of Jacko on this one. It is an interesting idea charging players for supplementary cards, another way to raise money for the coffers. Except that, one of the main benefits of being a member of a club is that you can have a handicap and the club will maintain it. I suspect many players would be annoyed they had to pay further costs when the assumption is that should come out of your annual membership (especially if the annual membership is quite high).

I'd be reluctant to start charging a fee as I'm sure I could get some grief my members. I suspect it could also be a deterrent to people submitting supplementary cards, which I don't think is a great outcome.

If the fee is to cover costs of the software, what would happen if nobody issued supplementary scores? Would you need to get rid of the software?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which should all be included in the subscription and competition entry fees.

Again, you miss the point that all clubs are not the same. The company says to prospective customers, pay me £x and I will provide and maintain a golf course and provide practise facilities, changing rooms and a bar and catering and, if you get together and want to run competitions and handicaps, then you must find the money to do that. That may well not be how it is with you, but that's how it is with us.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the fee is to cover costs of the software, what would happen if nobody issued supplementary scores? Would you need to get rid of the software?
The fee was introduced initially when the club computerised running competitions and managing handicaps. The members decided that the additional costs should be borne by the competitors; as is the cost of trophies (primarily commemorative glassware, engraving, honours boards, silverware insurance). Supplementary Scores were only introduced by CONGU a few years ago. So now, every time the competition/handicap software/computer is involved, a fee is charged. But the Competition's nominal is sill a red figure :(

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Again, you miss the point that all clubs are not the same. The company says to prospective customers, pay me £x and I will provide and maintain a golf course and provide practise facilities, changing rooms and a bar and catering and, if you get together and want to run competitions and handicaps, then you must find the money to do that. That may well not be how it is with you, but that's how it is with us.

I'm not missing any point thank you very much. The role of match secretary/handicap secretary is a voluntary one. Making money off of golfers struggling to maintain their handicap is scrupulous simply because for whatever reason they can't make Saturday medals/competitions.

If your Saturday comps do not make enough money over a year to pay for expenses you simply add in a an extra competition/open competition/small levy.

How often does a club need to replace a computer?