Membership fees, are they hurting clubs?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Finally, someone breaking it down to brass tax. I like it.

Thanks hobbit. 🍺

Ps. I think it should be spread over a short period as Imurg posted though, I’d hate to stump a cost up only to realise I didn’t like the product I’d been sold.

Spreading it is a good idea. If the budgeting/forecast is a rolling 5 year plan, it’s possible to factor in Joe Bloggs only paying £350 in year 1 instead of £1,000. It looks like there’s a £650 deficit but there isn’t because Fred Bloggs is paying his 2nd £350 and Mick Bloggs is paying his 3rd £350. By pitching the joining fee slightly high, wrong terminology, you can cover those that only pay £350/£700 then leave.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spreading it is a good idea. If the budgeting/forecast is a rolling 5 year plan, it’s possible to factor in Joe Bloggs only paying £350 in year 1 instead of £1,000. It looks like there’s a £650 deficit but there isn’t because Fred Bloggs is paying his 2nd £350 and Mick Bloggs is paying his 3rd £350. By pitching the joining fee slightly high, wrong terminology, you can cover those that only pay £350/£700 then leave.

Would joining fees still not be payable though even if you leave after a year or two? I would think so.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Would joining fees still not be payable though even if you leave after a year or two? I would think so.

Yes, the balance of the joining fees is still payable. The (outgoing) member entered into a ‘contract to pay.’

However, most golf clubs don’t chase it via the small claims court as it’s bad PR. I know of one treasurer who tried on a number of occasions to push the committee to agree to it but they didn’t have the stomach for it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Sounds like Mr and Mrs bloggs live a very active lifestyle and they should have spoke to the treasurer about a family discount!

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
One of the things that hurts membership most is the lack of customer service and poor communication of clubs. Recently I’ve emailed 3 different clubs asking about 2024 membership. One club emailed back straight away with details and a follow up promised. The other 2 I’ve since chased and neither have responded. It’s a really lazy approach. I look at those clubs and think if this is your approach to some offering you money, what would it be like to be a member there.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the things that hurts membership most is the lack of customer service and poor communication of clubs. Recently I’ve emailed 3 different clubs asking about 2024 membership. One club emailed back straight away with details and a follow up promised. The other 2 I’ve since chased and neither have responded. It’s a really lazy approach. I look at those clubs and think if this is your approach to some offering you money, what would it be like to be a member there.

Never understood that but it has been like that every time i have changed club. You would have thought that they may have cottoned on to the fact that people like some details by email first before getting in touch on the phone or visiting the club.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Leighton Buzzard has a £1000 joining fee (assuming it hasn't gone up since I joined), and there's a strong waiting list and has been since I joined in June 2020.

I don't think they particularly hurt clubs, Woburn has a 12k joining fee and a 2 year waiting list....

Mandofred

Visit site
Nightmare scenerio......join a club with a big joining fee. A couple of years later they turn into the club from hell through mismanagement. If you leave....bye bye joining fee.

D

Deleted member 23270

Nightmare scenerio......join a club with a big joining fee. A couple of years later they turn into the club from hell through mismanagement. If you leave....bye bye joining fee.
Assuming it's a private club that can be easily rectified by the members.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I've only ever been a member at 2x clubs.
I have never paid a joining fee.
In my area, I have a huge choice of clubs.
A couple of corporate type places (which although nice courses, I wouldn't consider joining)
To my knowledge, maybe about 25% have a smallish joining fee.

The majority of the courses nr me are sort of middle of the road type courses (average courses & facilities)
It would have to be a very special course with outstanding facilities for me to consider paying a joining fee & somewhere I was desperate to join.
Thankfully that course doesn't exist in my area.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Could it be that they either have no space or very little so didn’t take your enquiry that serious?

Poor I agree, but still ….