Sad Returning Golfer - 12 months+ waiting list, £2.7k Joining Fee

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Certainly heard a few stories of the return of joining fees. Only rumour, but my old club that had members paying full whack during lockdown with nothing in return have not only upped the fees this year but may also have re-introduced the joining fee not only for new members but also for previous members who quit during lockdown and were looking to come back again this year.

Mine has introduced a £500 joining fee for full membership.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the write up.

I would happily pay £2,000 a year for a good club and the facilities that come with it. The joining fee is however hard to stomach, I would hope to be a member for 10+ years. But I am in my mid 30s, my work, my wife's work, my health, all factors that might mean I can't stay for so long.

And of course there are many other people who are happy to put the cash up for the product, just the way golf goes in this part of the world.
Seems pretty much in line with other clubs down here, bad luck on timing really as waiting lists are full again.

Unfortunately, it’s a pretty much suck it up or become a Nomad where I am.

Swango1980

Visit site
Hi all,

Feeling quite sad today. I moved house during covid and had to give up my old membership at a lovely course as was several hours from my new location.

My new house is in a nice area, 5 minutes walk from a club which I had my eye on joining. I don't drive so it was a perfect fit.

Now I have found out they have a massive waiting list, even with a £2.7k joining fee. The subs are almost £2k a year on top, I live in Surrey so I know it is a better than average income area, but I was surprised.

Feeling bit glum now, what are people's predictions for the future, is this golfing boom here to stay?
If it is any comfort, we have no Joining fee, and can pay £200 annual membership and then £4 a round during the week, £6 at weekend (or just fork out on a full £700 annual membership). Either way, you get full member rights.

Those prices are absurd.

I'm in the same county as Woodhall Spa, home of England Golf. It has 2 courses (both very different), and often rated as one of the best inland courses in the UK. I believe they have a joining fee of £800 and annual membership of £1200. Those are by far the most expensive fees for any club in the county, but compared to your nearby course, they are pennies. I think you are in the wrong county :(

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the write up.

I would happily pay £2,000 a year for a good club and the facilities that come with it. The joining fee is however hard to stomach, I would hope to be a member for 10+ years. But I am in my mid 30s, my work, my wife's work, my health, all factors that might mean I can't stay for so long.

And of course there are many other people who are happy to put the cash up for the product, just the way golf goes in this part of the world.

Out of interest where abouts are you looking at?

I've just moved areas although not massively far from where I orginally was but do have move options. I haven't been a club member for 5 years or so due to family and work but I think next year things will have calmed down enough that it might be an option.

I'm looking at....

Effingham GC £1,970 + £1,970 (joining)
Betchworth Park GC £1,850 + £500.00 (joining)
Tyrrells Wood GC £1,800 + £1,000 (joining)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it is any comfort, we have no Joining fee, and can pay £200 annual membership and then £4 a round during the week, £6 at weekend (or just fork out on a full £700 annual membership). Either way, you get full member rights.

Those prices are absurd.

I'm in the same county as Woodhall Spa, home of England Golf. It has 2 courses (both very different), and often rated as one of the best inland courses in the UK. I believe they have a joining fee of £800 and annual membership of £1200. Those are by far the most expensive fees for any club in the county, but compared to your nearby course, they are pennies. I think you are in the wrong county :(

Where abouts are you based. Looking at options in Lincolnshire at the moment as my old club are approaching Woodhall Spa rates without Woodhall Spa quality.

sunshine

Visit site
Dhdhd

Same here but accross all memberships

Fees are going up to £100 pm for 5 day £125 for 7

From 83 and 100

Wow, a 25% increase in fees. Is the course suddenly becoming much much better? If it's just an opportunistic price hike it won't be sustainable and a lot of people will leave in a year.

Lostgolfer

Visit site
Out of interest where abouts are you looking at?

I've just moved areas although not massively far from where I orginally was but do have move options. I haven't been a club member for 5 years or so due to family and work but I think next year things will have calmed down enough that it might be an option.

I'm looking at....

Effingham GC £1,970 + £1,970 (joining)
Betchworth Park GC £1,850 + £500.00 (joining)
Tyrrells Wood GC £1,800 + £1,000 (joining)

I am in West Byfleet. New Zealand is a few minutes walk away but have not considered it.

Pyrford, Hoebridge and Foxhills will have to be my next considerations.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I am in West Byfleet. New Zealand is a few minutes walk away but have not considered it.

I'm not sure you are able to join New Zealand GC, I think you have to be invited!

I was a member of Hoebridge for a season, it's decent enough although can get busy as it's very much a public course. I don't particularly like Pyrford, you have to pick your way around too much and some of it just seemed like crazy golf especially in the summer when the fairways are hard.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I don't know where you are in Surrey, but basically that's the going rate for a decent club in Surrey. Mine is the same.

If you look at the public courses in the area, the are charging about £30 for a weekend green fee. Multiply that by 50 weeks in a year and you're at £1,500.

My £2,000 sub gets me all the golf I want which is usually at least once a weekend & once in the week, a locker, a decent bar & changing rooms, 2 snooker tables and access to socials that I'm paying an extra £500 a year for. The £2,000 joining fee is down to £200 per year and will only continue to go in one direction. We have a full membership and a long waiting list that is getting longer. Because we have a good product that people want, and it is priced reasonably when compared to the nearby competition. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is not likely to change; it's been the same for the 10 years I've been here.

It's about keeping a revenue stream. I left a different club 10 years ago because of various issues. A lot of people did &went to a club with no joining fee; and left after a year. That club then has a £20k hole in its budget to fill.

The clubs charging joining fees have to make it worth people paying that, so it keeps the club on its toes, it can't afford to rest on its laurels. And it attracts people who are invested in the club.

And I'm sure that my mates on here will be quick to point out, if it was about keeping riff riff out it certainly didn't work in my case. :)
Riff-raff? Mine even welcomes Scots with open arms. In Surrey for goodness sake - Scots!!! Whatever next... ?

But yes...that’s the cost of golf in a decent members club in our part of the wurruld.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site

If those are your 3 options I would pick foxhills over the other 2 by quite some way. I’ve never really enjoyed Pyrford, Hoebridge is where I first started playing golf (not as a member), it’s ok nothing more but don’t expect to get round in less than 5 hours in the summer, foxhills does have 2 nice courses but it always had a bit of a corporate feel to me.

I was a member at West Byfleet for 6 years and only left this year because I moved out of the area. I know they were letting people spread the cost of the joining fee, perhaps going on the waiting list is an option? I have no idea how long that might take though.

One to consider might be Sutton Green, would assume membership fee is somewhat less than West Byfleet, course is nothing special but the membership is very sociable.

orangepip

Visit site
I have to say I've just moved to Byfleet and am finding it similarly frustrating. I don't particularly want to join Hoebridge / Silvermere but then it might be the only option open... at least for this year. I had similar conversations with west hill, west byfleet, effingham etc... all full!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats gone up quite a bit... did the club suffer significant losses last year?
Wow, a 25% increase in fees. Is the course suddenly becoming much much better? If it's just an opportunistic price hike it won't be sustainable and a lot of people will leave in a year.

The club were fantastic due to covid

They paused all the gym only members until it reopened

Every month golf was closed our direct debit was frozen so I didn't pay much (just over half)

The third 9 is being built

July last year we went from 14 holes to full 18 (our membership increases in July - July)

So now a full year of 18 holes

And 9 holes being built aswell

So improvements plus treated well in covid

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My club is fairly average for round here in the East Mids, circa £1000 a year, no joining fee.
If this year had been lockdown free from the start I would probably reach 75 rounds or more for the year - you do the arithmetic.
Plus, can get to play in some away matches for no cost.
Reciprocal arrangement with 3 other clubs - £5 green fee some weekdays.
Excellent club pro and greens staff.
Very happy where I am.
I feel sorry for the OP, but made me realise how lucky I am and how grateful I should be.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

New Zealand is a lovely course but very much marches to the beat of its own drummer; preferred lies all year round, no handicaps to name but two. Personally I thoroughly enjoy it when I go and rather like the fact that it is comfortable being different, but it may not be what everyone looks for in a club. West Byfleet is a far more traditional club and a very nice place.

D

Deleted member 3432

Hi all,

Feeling quite sad today. I moved house during covid and had to give up my old membership at a lovely course as was several hours from my new location.

My new house is in a nice area, 5 minutes walk from a club which I had my eye on joining. I don't drive so it was a perfect fit.

Now I have found out they have a massive waiting list, even with a £2.7k joining fee. The subs are almost £2k a year on top, I live in Surrey so I know it is a better than average income area, but I was surprised.

Feeling bit glum now, what are people's predictions for the future, is this golfing boom here to stay?

Top 100 track.

£550 Subs, £300 joining fee and I think there are a few memberships available.

Escape the rat race, move to Cumbria and play cheap golf in the most beautiful part of England.

What's not to like ?

PS. Not rained for weeks either ?

orangepip

Visit site
If those are your 3 options I would pick foxhills over the other 2 by quite some way. I’ve never really enjoyed Pyrford, Hoebridge is where I first started playing golf (not as a member), it’s ok nothing more but don’t expect to get round in less than 5 hours in the summer, foxhills does have 2 nice courses but it always had a bit of a corporate feel to me.

I was a member at West Byfleet for 6 years and only left this year because I moved out of the area. I know they were letting people spread the cost of the joining fee, perhaps going on the waiting list is an option? I have no idea how long that might take though.

One to consider might be Sutton Green, would assume membership fee is somewhat less than West Byfleet, course is nothing special but the membership is very sociable.

I did enquire at Foxhills and you were looking at £3.6k pa and £2.5k joining fee. Pretty horrendous anyway you look at it.