Clandon Regis GC (Surrey)

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I haven't been a member of a golf club in about 7 years now, not since having a family however I now have more time and I would like to get back into it. I am well served with golf clubs near me however a lot of them have waiting lists or have fairly hefty joining fees, these are the ones that were on my original list.....

Effingham
Tyrrells Wood
Betchworth
Leatherhead
Clandon Regis

The latter is one that is ticking the most boxes at the moment, works out about £2,000pa and there is no joining fee. I will arrange a round there however I was wondering whether anyone had played it in the last couple of years and had any feedback?

sunshine

Visit site
This isn't very helpful, but I played in a pro am there over 10 years ago. Course was nice without being amazing, but what I remember is I hit some really long drives because the fairways were hard and fast. So worth checking if they have fairway irrigation now.

I had a look on the website to see if there is any info on this. What I did find was a list of reasons why the golf course is the best in the area. Some of these were rather bizarre, including:
  • Plenty of car parking
  • Prior to being a golf course the land was used for farming and is therefore very fertile
I know the quality of the car park is important to some posters on this forum, but promoting your golf course because it has a big car park and is built on farmers fields is an unusual approach.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I had a look on the website to see if there is any info on this. What I did find was a list of reasons why the golf course is the best in the area. Some of these were rather bizarre, including:
  • Plenty of car parking
  • Prior to being a golf course the land was used for farming and is therefore very fertile

I wonder what they mean by "the area?"

Given that they have St George's Hill, Walton Heath. Woking, Worplesdon, West Hill, Working, New Zealand, West Byfleet, West Surrey and Puttenham (to name a few) within a 15 mile radius, that's quite a comment. Smashes my old thread about "hilarious claims on club Websites" out of the water! :ROFLMAO:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can only comment on Tyrell’s wood, I really really liked it. So much so that I think I’d consider it if I moved that way.

Great members, good food, polite staff, welcoming pro… there honestly wasn’t one thing that would influence joining.

1st and 10th are short, but as starter holes I didn’t see it as an issue.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Given that they have St George's Hill, Walton Heath. Woking, Worplesdon, West Hill, Working, New Zealand, West Byfleet, West Surrey and Puttenham (to name a few) within a 15 mile radius, that's quite a comment. Smashes my old thread about "hilarious claims on club Websites" out of the water! :ROFLMAO:
The Guildford area…😊

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can only comment on Tyrell’s wood, I really really liked it. So much so that I think I’d consider it if I moved that way.

I do like Tyrell's Wood, I've played it a few times however they have a waiting list plus there's the £1,500 joining fee which makes the first year a lot more expensive.

I liked Effiingham when I visited last. Nice course, they are building a new short game area great cake in the half way house. 😀

Effingham would actually be my preference based on location, it's 5 minutes down the road however whilst it's yearly fee is okay it's got a £3,000 joining fee which just isn't doable at the moment.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do they allow payment of joining fee over a deferred period?

I think Guildford has a variety of membership options now to make it more flexible/affordable.
I suspect that Guildford (Merrow) is an acquired taste - one that I think I might struggle to acquire. It’s interesting though.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do like Tyrell's Wood, I've played it a few times however they have a waiting list plus there's the £1,500 joining fee which makes the first year a lot more expensive.
Given it comes across as a full members course without the dependency on p&p, I’d still pay the JF up willingly.

Last edited:

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
Haven’t played Tyrells Wood but it’s well thought of locally, of the others Leatherhead is average as is Clandon Regis, Betchworth is excellent with very good food but gets a little tacky in a few places during the winter, Effingham is by far the best course and offers excellent all year round conditions.

sunshine

Visit site

Yeah, but can Walton Heath boast about being built on farmland or having a huge car park? 2-0 to Clandon Regis.

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So we played Clandon Regis as well as Betchworth, Putenham, Milford, Guildford and Chobham.
Clandon Regis was in good condition with some interesting holes hole 2 is a par 3 that you reach by hittin over a hedge. We enjoyed it but there were several holes that were a bit up and downy. Betchworth was very enjoyable as was Puttenham. Chobham was in great nick but we were told that it gets very muddy 4 months of the year. I would therefore only consider Clandon, Betchworth or Puttenham to join.