SE London Membership Options

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Addington palace? Train to east Croydon then straight on the tram from outside the station, stops right outside addington palace.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dulwich & Sydenham Hill is a good course and a good club. Very friendly and you'd fit in quickly. Course is darn good in summer, but have to say it gets very, very wet in winter. But recovers very quickly in spring. Definitely worth getting on the waiting list if it's that local for you. (Knew we had a waiting list, but didn't realise it was that long ...)

In the meantime you could try Wimbledon Common or Mitcham Common as temporary measures. (At Mitcham, the clubhouse is practically on the station platform).

EddT

Visit site
Addington Palace I didn't have on the list - I've heard it's long but will give it a look, I wasn't expecting it to be so easy to get to via car and other transport, thanks Oddsocks. Farleigh also looks a fantastic set up I just worry a 30 min drive, which incudes circumventing Croydon traffic may dampen enthusiasm unfortunately. I'll definitely make sure I play there at some point soon though!

Backwoodsman - I am on the membership list! I sent in an application a year or so ago when I moved, I may pop in and have a chat to the office team and understand the 'true' picture on timelines, will a proposer and seconder etc speed things up etc. It is in a lovely location, and would be top of my list for making the most of the membership - good to hear about the friendliness etc. Do let me know if you'd ever be up for a round of golf? Lunch etc on me of course!

I know Mitcham fairly well, maybe joining another club whilst I wait would be a good idea. I'll likely try get a round at Shirley Park and Langley Park in in the next couple of weeks and then start spreading to the likes of Addington Palace etc.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
@EddT , the palace is lovely but it does have certain draw backs. If I was solely joining a course the palace would have my money in a flash, Farleigh however has a better social side and more welcoming roll ups etc so wins more as “ a club “ if that makes sense.

EddT

Visit site
I completely understand - having toured a few different clubs where friends are members, you can definitely tell which ones are a 'club'. There is also the element of being able to get there easily as well - both for the regular golf but also for the social side and spontaneous holes etc.

Thanks for your help Oddsocks it is appreciated! When i've knocked off a bit of rust in my game I'll reach out for a round and a thank you drink or two!

BackWoodsman - good job I did get on the waiting list for D&S when I did, apparently it is now closed and they are only considering those with proposers and seconders. A popular club indeed. Again if you would be up for a round that would be fantastic!

Surreyboy

Visit site
Can highly recommend Shirley Park. Great members club. I used to get the bus there a lot when didn't have a car.

As you are a high handicap you want to join a course that is pretty quiet, and play loads.

Shirley was perfect as the course was busy in the mornings but quiet in the afternoons, and didn't used to have to prebook. I would turn up 3 or 4 evenings a week and knock out 18 in 2 hours, millionaire's golf!

Might be different now as this was prepandemic :LOL:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I completely understand - having toured a few different clubs where friends are members, you can definitely tell which ones are a 'club'. There is also the element of being able to get there easily as well - both for the regular golf but also for the social side and spontaneous holes etc.

Thanks for your help Oddsocks it is appreciated! When i've knocked off a bit of rust in my game I'll reach out for a round and a thank you drink or two!

BackWoodsman - good job I did get on the waiting list for D&S when I did, apparently it is now closed and they are only considering those with proposers and seconders. A popular club indeed. Again if you would be up for a round that would be fantastic!
I'll send you a P.M

EddT

Visit site
Apologies for delayed response - managed to get a few days away whilst the weather was kind!

I did manage to get a round in at Shirley Park this week - very friendly club from the few members I spoke to, pro was a gent too plus plenty of comps etc from what they were saying. It has a few interesting holes too which I enjoyed, wide fairways were helpful with my driver which also took a few days off… Food for thought as a potential club to join in the short term. Practise facilities seemed minimal but apparently there is some behind one of the holes.

Backwoodsman. Thank you, will reply.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apologies for delayed response - managed to get a few days away whilst the weather was kind!

I did manage to get a round in at Shirley Park this week - very friendly club from the few members I spoke to, pro was a gent too plus plenty of comps etc from what they were saying. It has a few interesting holes too which I enjoyed, wide fairways were helpful with my driver which also took a few days off… Food for thought as a potential club to join in the short term. Practise facilities seemed minimal but apparently there is some behind one of the holes.

Backwoodsman. Thank you, will reply.

The driving range adjacent to the 4th fairway as you walk through outs farm, with a chipping green located to the right of the trees by the ridge approximated where the average drive finishes.

It’s a bit awkward as the best way to get there is by car but from memory they have done away with parking there as the farm is used as a wedding venue. Oh, and you have to take your own balls also.

FWIW, 10 and the bottom of 14 and 15 do get wet in the winter as does anything past the bottom of the ridge on 9.