SE London Membership Options

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Two not mentioned - Dulwich and Sydenham and Chislehurst. Don't know much about D & S although there is a member on this Forum and Chislehurst is OK but at about 5100yds with 7 par 3's it is rather "compact" and a hard hat is recommended with all the crossing holes.

Chislehurst was the closest private club to home when I was a boy (Royal Magpie was the closest course), and the Uncle that introduced me & encouraged me was a member there (and at Littlestone, hence my love of links golf, but that's for another day), so I may be a little biased, but I enjoy Chislehurst. Compact is a fair description but I feel it makes the most of the land it has. It's tight, but I don't remember that many crossing holes (1st & 15th?). The par 3's are very varied and the clubhouse is lovely. No idea on the social side, but I enjoyed my rounds there, with or without Uncle Harry.

and I must put High elms on the list for a return visit next year, it is a nice layout and another I played regularly as a lad.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I’ve driven past the addington since the deforestation and along with the new irrigation and practice ground the place will be awesome! I reckon it’s a 2yr recovery but it’s going to be something special, I can see memberships costs rocketing once it’s done.

Might explain why the society has got a good deal there next year... :unsure:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Chislehurst was the closest private club to home when I was a boy (Royal Magpie was the closest course), and the Uncle that introduced me & encouraged me was a member there (and at Littlestone, hence my love of links golf, but that's for another day), so I may be a little biased, but I enjoy Chislehurst. Compact is a fair description but I feel it makes the most of the land it has. It's tight, but I don't remember that many crossing holes (1st & 15th?). The par 3's are very varied and the clubhouse is lovely. No idea on the social side, but I enjoyed my rounds there, with or without Uncle Harry.

and I must put High elms on the list for a return visit next year, it is a nice layout and another I played regularly as a lad.

I’ve not played high elms for about 20years

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You've got Shooters Hill just down the road, it'll keep you fit if you carry ?

My local course but I’ve never played it despite living within 10mins of it all my life

It has a tendency to shut during the winter if it’s been really wet. Apparently it’s quite slopey ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It has a tendency to shut during the winter if it’s been really wet. Apparently it’s quite slopey ?

I was a member there for a few years and don't remember it being shut that often but they winters have got wetter.
I loved the course really enjoyed the variety of holes. Spike bar was quite lively ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The other course you might consider is Dartford, it's quirky so you need to play it, but it's a very friendly course with lots going on (was there for 4/5 years)

BigPhil14

Visit site
Firstly a huge thank you to all of you who have posted a response!! Very much appreciated and didn't expect such thorough responses, but has helped a lot!

It definitely feels like a choice between Sundridge Park or Westerham (Altonwood Courses) as I like the idea they have good practice facilities and the various courses to play. I will most likely play weekends 95% of the time also, so if Westerham is mostly busy during the week with societies that is less of an issue. The Addington was probably always slightly out of price range, and it would have needed rave reviews to justify it, plus there's a slight concern that it might start steeply increasing in a few years once all the works are complete if it ends up being as good as expected.

Another main kicker is the distance, SP has the big benefit of only being a 20-25 min uber away and near to a train station (added fun of currently not having a car!). Guess I have to see whether I can justify the significant extra cost for that, and obviously need to see if I can actually go and play them a few times before making any decisions.

Thank you very much for the offer @Bratty and it would be great to come and have a knock around Westerham at some point. Let me know when you are typically playing and I'd be very keen to join.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it helps,

Croham hurst - 6 stops from east Croydon station covered by two buses running every 5 mins. Bud stop is 200 yards from club house door.

Addington palace - 5 stops by tram (approx 10 mins) from east Croydon and the stop is about 200 yards from club house.

Shirley pk -about 5-6 stops on the bus covered by 3/4 different buses, stop is about 150 yards from clubhouse doors.

all courses within 15 mins of east Croydon station, or you can go via west Croydon and add 10mins to get from west to east Croydon via two stops on a tram (the same one that runs you to addington palace)
Like bratty I’m happy to offer you a round as a guest.

BigPhil14

Visit site
If it helps,

Croham hurst - 6 stops from east Croydon station covered by two buses running every 5 mins. Bud stop is 200 yards from club house door.

Addington palace - 5 stops by tram (approx 10 mins) from east Croydon and the stop is about 200 yards from club house.

Shirley pk -about 5-6 stops on the bus covered by 3/4 different buses, stop is about 150 yards from clubhouse doors.

all courses within 15 mins of east Croydon station, or you can go via west Croydon and add 10mins to get from west to east Croydon via two stops on a tram (the same one that runs you to addington palace)
Like bratty I’m happy to offer you a round as a guest.

Thanks Oddsocks, useful to know. It would be great to come and test out the course, thanks for the offer. Please let me know when you typically play and we can try and figure something out.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Someone mentioned Dulwich and Sydenham Hill. My school old boys golf society is based there … it’s a nice course, but it can get very wet during the winter.