SE London Membership Options

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks Oddsocks, useful to know. It would be great to come and test out the course, thanks for the offer. Please let me know when you typically play and we can try and figure something out.

I’m generally a Saturday or Sunday golfer so you just need to let me know a weekend that suits. I’m not far from east Croydon station so happy to pick you up too

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Two not mentioned - Dulwich and Sydenham and Chislehurst. Don't know much about D & S although there is a member on this Forum and Chislehurst is OK but at about 5100yds with 7 par 3's it is rather "compact" and a hard hat is recommended with all the crossing holes ....
Dulwich & Sydenham Hill is just a few yards short of 6000 yards in length. Whilst not too long, no-one ever "takes the course apart" . Its really good in summer and (I might be biased) the greens are some of the best in the area. They were superb this year. The downside is that we're on clay, so it gets pretty wet & muddy in winter. Other thing to consider is that we now have a waiting list - nearly 200 I'm told. That's quite a change from 2 years ago. (And if we have a waiting list, I guess it's safe to assume other nearby clubs do too? Though how long after Covid this situation remains is anyone's guess).

Last edited:

BigPhil14

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input on this, it has been really helpful!!

Unfortunately it is proving to be very difficult to join a club in London!! Pretty much all of the clubs now have waiting lists, with most saying between 1-2 years of wait times. Lots of time on the range upcoming it seems!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input on this, it has been really helpful!!

Unfortunately it is proving to be very difficult to join a club in London!! Pretty much all of the clubs now have waiting lists, with most saying between 1-2 years of wait times. Lots of time on the range upcoming it seems!

And if they haven't you can work out why. Good luck with the hunt.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The waiting lists are scary. With every club in demand I can see joining fees coming back, membership prices increasing and p&p prices also. Effectively for the costs to remain the same we need more course, this is of course if participation levels remain the same.

Locally we’ve seen a few courses close due to low numbers (selsdon park potentially, broke hill, coulsdon court) that arguably in todays climate as it stands would clear a good portion of waiting lists in my area.

BigPhil14

Visit site
The waiting lists are scary. With every club in demand I can see joining fees coming back, membership prices increasing and p&p prices also. Effectively for the costs to remain the same we need more course, this is of course if participation levels remain the same.

Locally we’ve seen a few courses close due to low numbers (selsdon park potentially, broke hill, coulsdon court) that arguably in todays climate as it stands would clear a good portion of waiting lists in my area.

Is Coulsdon Court also closing? I heard it was getting sold by the council but I thought that was to the group who were already running it?

Dominik

Visit site
Hello fellow South East golfers. A long-time Golf Monthly subscriber, I thought I'd finally contribute to the forum & ask for some feedback, as potentially looking to switch my home club. This said (and with the membership renewal season upon us, I wanted to give my thoughts on Westerham (where I'm currently a member) & ask for a bit of advice on Sundridge Park / Royal Blackheath / Shooters Hill.

Re: Westerham (a 40 min drive for me, as I'm based in GMV, North Greenwich) - I have been a member there for 2 years, but doubt I will renew comes June 1.
  • Pros: a very interesting and varied layout, with most holes requiring precise woods/iron play to score well; beautiful surroundings which let you fully disconnect from London; spacious practice facilities (although ball hopper is very often out of balls); a decent clubhouse.
  • Cons: very busy both during the week and before 1pm on weekends; tee times every 8 mins; unless playing before 7am on weekends, pace of play can be 4.5h+ (vs. a 3-3.5h round for a 2-ball w/o delays); can get very wet / borderline unplayable during the wet season (late Sept - early March). Course is also currently undergoing extensive reconstruction, which is clearly positive long-term, but means many GURs / temporary tee boxes over the next year, and a further year of seeding in.
As such, given a mix of the course being too busy with societies, on-going works, and long travel time, I'm considering three alternatives which are closest to my postcode (Greenwich Millennium Village, SE10): Royal Blackheath GC, Shooters Hill GC, and Sundridge GC. Big factors are (i) commute time (< 25 mins by car in all three cases), (ii) availability of tee times during week/weekend and ability to just roll up & be paired with other players, (iii) good atmosphere, and (iv) actually being able to join as a member (perhaps a restricted 7-day membership if there's currently a waiting list (as is likely). I'll also stop by all three this week, but wanted to hear from you rather than just the local Pro.

To those of the fellow GM readers with either membership or experience in playing on the above, I'd appreciate your input on (i) - (iv) above, as well as the idea of current cost of the membership & joining fee.

All the best,
Dominik

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Blackheath isn’t a great course and is full of knobs

Shooters hill (my local) gets very wet in winter and gets closed quite a lot

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Sundridge can get very wet in winter too. Most courses in the South East unless they're links courses get wet in winter. I always feel Westerham is better than most others near it (Hever, Cherry Lodge and Nizels certainly are far worse and close when Westerham is open) but as a 15 year member, I may be biaised! ?
Sundridge has two courses and is certainly going to mean you get a game, and I believe few visitors at weekends. I enjoyed the one I played, some interesting holes for sure.
I liked Royal Blackheath, but it's a little built around itself, so when it's a busy comp day, I can see distractions abound with stray balls and noise. Great putter fitting studio there though!
Haven't ever played Shooters Hill, so can't comment on it.