SE London Membership Options

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I actually think the South East is the worst area for golf in the country, unless you've got a fair bit of cash available. The cheaper courses tend to be utter crap, and a lot of them are on clay and can only be played for about 9 months of the year. There are so many bang average courses wanting well over £1k for the year, that are just taking advantage of London commuters.

If you do have some money to spend however, it can be great. There are some excellent Surrey courses - St George's Hill, Walton Heath, the 3 W's, etc, and in Sandwich you have 3 world class links courses in RSG, RCP, and Prince's.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I actually think the South East is the worst area for golf in the country, unless you've got a fair bit of cash available. The cheaper courses tend to be utter crap, and a lot of them are on clay and can only be played for about 9 months of the year. There are so many bang average courses wanting well over £1k for the year, that are just taking advantage of London commuters.

If you do have some money to spend however, it can be great. There are some excellent Surrey courses - St George's Hill, Walton Heath, the 3 W's, etc, and in Sandwich you have 3 world class links courses in RSG, RCP, and Prince's.

Over a grand a year my ariston! I’m in Croydon and have around 12 courses excluding p&p within 15 mins drive and a membership at any starts at 1600 and goes up to 2900, all excluding joining fees if applicable.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dartford didn't get that good an opinion from a couple of my friends who played there a couple of weeks ago, and Pedham I wouldnt say is any closer in reality:)

Dartford is a quirky course but friends who are members there say it's immaculate these days, guess it depends on what they are comparing it too, Pedham is only 2 junctions away on the M25, so anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes extra ?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Dartford is a quirky course but friends who are members there say it's immaculate these days, guess it depends on what they are comparing it too, Pedham is only 2 junctions away on the M25, so anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes extra ?

A good friend of mine is a member at dartford and he said they’ve done loads work over the winter

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Re Sundridge Park…

(i) It’s in the middle of Bromley so early midweek journey takes a bit longer
(ii) Ample tee times, especially midweek. One course rollup, other bookings, alternating daily
(iii) Very friendly on and off course with a few idiots. Same as anywhere
(iv) Long waiting list for 7 day but flag often at half mast. I’d guess a 3 month wait at worst. Don’t know about other categories

2K subs, 4K joining fee.

Don’t speak to the pro, head to the Rangers Hut and speak to whoever’s working. They’ll give you a better insight.

BigPhil14

Visit site
Re Sundridge Park…

(i) It’s in the middle of Bromley so early midweek journey takes a bit longer
(ii) Ample tee times, especially midweek. One course rollup, other bookings, alternating daily
(iii) Very friendly on and off course with a few idiots. Same as anywhere
(iv) Long waiting list for 7 day but flag often at half mast. I’d guess a 3 month wait at worst. Don’t know about other categories

2K subs, 4K joining fee.

Don’t speak to the pro, head to the Rangers Hut and speak to whoever’s working. They’ll give you a better insight.

I've been on the waitlist for 5 months, and have been told to expect it to be over a year until enough spots open up. They had 65 people on the 7 day wait list back in Dec when I submitted.

Dominik

Visit site

Appreciate your responding here. All good suggestions, although my objective is to cut down on journey times so that I can play more after work / on the weekends. Driving to any of these (assuming I could join) from SE10 would be 1.5h+ vs. 40 mins to Westerham currently (and <25 mins to Sundridge, Blackheath or Shooters Hill). Best, Dominik

Dominik

Visit site
I've been on the waitlist for 5 months, and have been told to expect it to be over a year until enough spots open up. They had 65 people on the 7 day wait list back in Dec when I submitted.
This is helpful context. May I ask if you know any members who could act as proposers, or will you rely on a round with the Club Captain once a slot becomes available?
In any event, I’d love to know if there’re existing Sundridge Park members on the GM forum, who’d be happy to play a round and show me around the club.
Best, Dominik

Dominik

Visit site
All - by way of an update - I have now played a round on the East Course at Sundridge Park, and tried out the short game practice facilities, which are very good. I have applied, and I’m currently on their waiting list for the Full Restricted membership. A Proposer & Seconder may come in handy, and if you are already a member, and willing to play a round together, then please let me know! I will reciprocate in cold beers.

A big shout-out to @Leftie who has provided an insider’s scoop, and as it turns out, is another left-handed player!

Dominik

olliek

Visit site
@Dominik - Did you get a membership in the end? I'm based in SE15, so similar type area and travel time, so i'm looking for local courses to potentially becoming a member. Would really appreciate any thoughts you have!

EddT

Visit site
Evening all, rather than start a new thread asking the same question I was wondering if anyone had any new insight on the clubs mentioned - I.e. waiting lists/ advice on good clubs to join for ‘newer’ golfers.

Context - I have recently moved to West Dulwich/ Crystal Palace area, and after playing golf socially for a couple of years it’s time for me to put some roots down & also progress with the game. I’ve gone backwards this year focusing on a house renovation & I am keen to step forward and enjoy the benefits of this wonderfully frustrating game, and also benefit socially too. Handicap currently about 26 which I’m very keen to improve (lessons booked etc), I’m in late 30’s.

Dulwich & Sydenham is very local & seems to have a good set up (lovely views), is very close so would be perfect for morning/ evening rounds and for ‘dropping by’ the club for drinks, dinner etc. It has also been recommended by friends who have friends who are members so would be a strong front runner in normal circumstances. However there is a waiting list until 2026, though with a proposer/ seconder I expect this would drop?

Sundridge Park - every thread about golf in the area mentions this club as being the ‘one’. Would they be welcoming to a relative beginner and very average golfer? Their membership form mentions a 17 handicap requirement. Good socially? Being accessible easily on public transport does appeal for flexibility. I expect a waiting list applies, and the joining fee is chunkier than the rest.

Shirley Park - I don’t know too much about this one, looks easy to get too etc.

Langley Park - I saw they welcomed some new members on another thread, I may also be able to get a round here through a friends contact. Not sure on their practise facilities? Social side and welcoming aspect?

Croham Hurst - another option, green fees for visitors seem reasonable so will likely try here in a couple of weeks.

Any others I’m missing?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shirley park is nice but burns out in the summer and can get very boggy in the winter. The 9th is very Micky mouse and the range is only accessible by car if your into practice facilities.

Half mast hurst … sorry Croham hurst, desperate for new blood but the old guard are quite pompous and their attitude is killing the club, it’s really struggling to retain new members that are under 40. I did 18 months there and went back to Farleigh. You’ll get more updates of people dying that you will regarding the course. The are a handful of great members, but they are outweighed. The also use the snag line of “ on chalk best draining course in the area “… like hell!!!! Suffers mega with worm casts and is the most closed course I’m aware of

Having done 11 years at Farleigh it’s the least clicky club in the area, great social side with plenty of investment going in.

Last edited:

EddT

Visit site
Thanks Oddsocks, in my searching and reading I recall reading a few of your posts before and during your time at Croham Hurst so it may be that I cross Croham off the list based on your comments above!

I’ve also just realised I mixed up Sundridge and Shirley park. Sundridge is the highly thought of golf course, though Shirley is easier to get to. Have updated my post.

Re: Farleigh, I had discounted as being a bit too far away, and very difficult to get to/ from without a car (flexibility is a real bonus). However given your comments I’ve had another look and it does look like a great set up in terms of facilities etc. Will you be rejoining here?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Half mast hurst … sorry Croham hurst, desperate for new blood but the old guard are quite pompous and their attitude is killing the club, it’s really struggling to retain new members that are under 40. I did 18 months there and went back to Farleigh. You’ll get more updates of people dying that you will regarding the course.
I have a very sick sense of humour and this made me lol, particularly the last line.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks Oddsocks, in my searching and reading I recall reading a few of your posts before and during your time at Croham Hurst so it may be that I cross Croham off the list based on your comments above!

I’ve also just realised I mixed up Sundridge and Shirley park. Sundridge is the highly thought of golf course, though Shirley is easier to get to. Have updated my post.

Re: Farleigh, I had discounted as being a bit too far away, and very difficult to get to/ from without a car (flexibility is a real bonus). However given your comments I’ve had another look and it does look like a great set up in terms of facilities etc. Will you be rejoining here?
I’ve already rejoined for 2023/2024.