SE London Membership Options

BigPhil14

Visit site
Hi All,

I saw that this was discussed a few years ago on a previous thread, but as some of the courses have either undertaken significant investment or closed since then (plus big changes in membership fees), I wanted to ask you for your updated opinions on club memberships in SE London. As a bit of background, I am living in Greenwich and I used to play quite a bit when I was younger. I ended up unintentionally taking a 10 year hiatus from the sport due to other sporting commitments, but am now mid 30s and back to focusing more on golf. I am a 5.4 handicap at the moment and looking to potentially join a club, partly to play more and get my handicap down, and to get to play more competitions and also to meet more people.

I have been doing lots of research into the options, and was hoping someone here had experience of the local courses and could help guide on the following queries:
  • High end - Which club would you recommend out of Sundridge Park or the Addington? Are they friendly or stuffy clubs? Do they both have plenty of competitions / opportunity to play with different people?
  • Altonwood Group - I have played Surrey National and think it is pretty good. Does anyone have any experience of Westerham and Woldingham? Do they run regular competitions? I get the impression Surrey National is a societies course, are the other 2 the same?
  • The Addington costs 2x as much as the Altonwood membership over the next 5 years and Sundridge Park 1.5x, are they worth it golfing wise (I appreciate that this is subjective, however I'm not in a 'money is no object' position so would need to be able to justify it to myself financially!)? Do the courses drain well or are they unplayable for parts of the year?
  • Any other courses you would recommend? I have played Langley Park, and whilst always in good condition, I find it slightly boring with just straight up and down holes. I have not played Croham Hurst but that looks similar? Any others that you would recommend?
Any advice you could give would be much appreciated, and please let me know if there are other questions for me which I should consider or would help shape any advice!

Many thanks!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Phil

You may find this thread useful - https://forums.golfmonthly.com/thre...ey-park-addington-palace-croham-hurst.107873/

From those you have mentioned I’d say that in the Alton wood group, Westerham always seems very busy and prone to slow rounds, woldingham isn’t a nice and overall Surrey national seems a good mix between westerham and woldingham. Surrey national recently sold in principle to a developer although I believe the sale fell through.

Others worth considering asides from that thread are cherry lodge and west Kent if you’re Greenwich based, with west Kent being a full members course.

I should add Shirley park, addington palace, Purley downs, croham hurst and farleigh all currently have waiting lists.

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

I saw that this was discussed a few years ago on a previous thread, but as some of the courses have either undertaken significant investment or closed since then (plus big changes in membership fees), I wanted to ask you for your updated opinions on club memberships in SE London. As a bit of background, I am living in Greenwich and I used to play quite a bit when I was younger. I ended up unintentionally taking a 10 year hiatus from the sport due to other sporting commitments, but am now mid 30s and back to focusing more on golf. I am a 5.4 handicap at the moment and looking to potentially join a club, partly to play more and get my handicap down, and to get to play more competitions and also to meet more people.

I have been doing lots of research into the options, and was hoping someone here had experience of the local courses and could help guide on the following queries:
  • High end - Which club would you recommend out of Sundridge Park or the Addington? Are they friendly or stuffy clubs? Do they both have plenty of competitions / opportunity to play with different people?
  • Altonwood Group - I have played Surrey National and think it is pretty good. Does anyone have any experience of Westerham and Woldingham? Do they run regular competitions? I get the impression Surrey National is a societies course, are the other 2 the same?
  • The Addington costs 2x as much as the Altonwood membership over the next 5 years and Sundridge Park 1.5x, are they worth it golfing wise (I appreciate that this is subjective, however I'm not in a 'money is no object' position so would need to be able to justify it to myself financially!)? Do the courses drain well or are they unplayable for parts of the year?
  • Any other courses you would recommend? I have played Langley Park, and whilst always in good condition, I find it slightly boring with just straight up and down holes. I have not played Croham Hurst but that looks similar? Any others that you would recommend?
Any advice you could give would be much appreciated, and please let me know if there are other questions for me which I should consider or would help shape any advice!

Many thanks!
Both Sundridge and Addington are lovely clubs - I've only played sundridge once and it seemed very friendly.

Got a lot of friends whom are members for the altonwood group (mainly Westerham) which is the best course out the 3 if you ask me. Decent value for money but it does get very busy during the weekend and rounds are long!

If I'm honest and lived closer I'd go with the altonwood membership as they are kept in good nick and play nice, plus there is variety in being able to go the other courses.

BigPhil14

Visit site
Thanks Oddsocks - Interesting reading in the other thread. Did you decide upon joining a club in the end? If so, which one? It would be a shame if Surrey National were to close as that would be a big element of joining Altonwood group. I've read that it has been talked about as a potential development site for a number of years.

Thanks Stats - Do you know if Westerham do much of the way of competitions/ ways to play with other people within the club? I have put an information request out to them so will be interesting what they come back with.

Thanks Dando - Admittedly I had discounted them as I had previously heard that it was a short and uninteresting course (however steeped in history and a great experience for a day) and I had assumed that it was quite stuffy. Their membership fees aren't as high as I had thought (relatively in line with Addington and SP). Do you have any experience as to what it is like there as a member? Is it a friendly group?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sundridge Park or The Addington? Sundridge Park every day of the week and twice on Sundays for me. I haven’t been over there for a while, but when I did it was always in excellent nick, the membership was really friendly and you have the benefit of 2 quite different 18’s; severe elevation changes and a premium on placement and accuracy on the West, the East being a little flatter, longer and slightly less tight. Either is a good test. The Addington has some quirky holes, fine if you like them, personally I don’t.

Another point in favour of Sundridge Park is travelling as I’d say your journey from Greenwich should be considerably quicker.

From previous experience West Kent is another friendly club and layout I enjoy. Cherry Lodge was extremely social but can be a bit exposed in winter.

I believe all of the above are based on clay so have the potential to get a bit soggy in winter, but others may have better knowledge.

Of the others mentioned I enjoy Croham Hurst, Purley Downs is nice and Addington Palace is a course of two halves, tends to polarise opinion a bit, it wouldn’t be my preferred choice. No idea on the social scene at any of those.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Another point to consider re The Addington.
While BiM mentions 'some quirky holes', it's a bit more than that - both in quantity and description. So at least a couple of visits before deciding (if the first one doesn't put you off) would be recommended. It's been a long time since I've played it, but I enjoy its 'quirkiness'!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Forgot Langley Park; I believe it was Henry Cotton who once said a good course makes you use every club in your bag and Langley did that. Much flatter than most locally, but a good test, I remember it as a little more reserved than the others socially. My club has a reciprocal there and I will be going back next year.

I used to live locally, and if I still did of those mentioned in SE London on the Kent side my choice would be Sundridge Park, West Kent, Langley Park and Cherry Lodge in that order.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cherry Lodge is horrible in the winter, played it a couple of winters ago and the fairways should have been called lakes.
If you're in Greenwich, I would consider going down the A2 corridor perhaps..
Mid Kent at Gravesend (just off the A227) isn't too bad with excellent greens.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Cherry Lodge is horrible in the winter, played it a couple of winters ago and the fairways should have been called lakes.
If you're in Greenwich, I would consider going down the A2 corridor perhaps..
Mid Kent at Gravesend (just off the A227) isn't too bad with excellent greens.

I’m sure mid Kent is closing along with southern valley as the new rover crossing is going in

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks Oddsocks - Interesting reading in the other thread. Did you decide upon joining a club in the end? If so, which one? It would be a shame if Surrey National were to close as that would be a big element of joining Altonwood group. I've read that it has been talked about as a potential development site for a number of years.

Thanks Stats - Do you know if Westerham do much of the way of competitions/ ways to play with other people within the club? I have put an information request out to them so will be interesting what they come back with.

Thanks Dando - Admittedly I had discounted them as I had previously heard that it was a short and uninteresting course (however steeped in history and a great experience for a day) and I had assumed that it was quite stuffy. Their membership fees aren't as high as I had thought (relatively in line with Addington and SP). Do you have any experience as to what it is like there as a member? Is it a friendly group?

Not played blackheath but know a few members and a past captain and they’re a very social bunch.
I think there’s a stuffiness about it as apparently it’s quite old but they don’t like to mention it ??

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I joined croham which has been friendly enough but there are some negatives.

They allow more p&p players at weekend than I’d like and the summer even saw a few weekend societies. I believe this decision is the fact that fees are capped under casc and despite the membership being full they are unable to increase memberships in-line with Shirley park, palace and Purley downs all of which are £300-400 a year more. For some this is small but this was the main reason I left my other club and had I know they were going to allow this percentage I may have rejoined farleigh.

The practice nets and range are pretty poor. The range is very narrow and has only 3 bays all of which are poor and very worn, at weekends the pro teaches on the range and when he does it’s closed to everyone else which is not good if you have a tee slot after 10am. So you move to the nets, only two which have mats that are very worn and uneven, yes they serve a purpose but they are far from enjoyable. If all else fails you can move to the short game area which is around 75 yards but again mats are in poor condition.

Regarding the course, they have spent good money this year on a lot of irrigation around greens prone to drying out and this will be a great improvement next year and the fairways and approaches have been fantastic all year. A downside to the course is the bunkers, they are shocking! Virtually no sand and full of chalk, having played most in the area I have to say they are the worst by a long way. And a mention is the tearing teeing areas on some holes are small and get worn quickly.

The big plus for the course is the amount of roll up all of which are very welcoming. They start from about 8am in summer months and there a various roll up running through to around 10.30 so you will always find one that suits you both for age, competitiveness and also characters within. The flip of this is if you are not lucky enough to get off between 7.30 and 8.00, you will not get a tee time unless you join a roll up unless you are going off late morning or early afternoon.

It may sound a like all moans but it’s not, there are some great points to the club and they have been very welcoming and have welcomed me into both club leagues where I have represented the club at some great courses.

Having played the palace on a reciprocal I can’t help but feel that I’d prefer my golf there. all of my negatives at croham are not there at addington palace although I do think it’s a little more stuffier but I’d expect that:

bunkers - 100 times better and consistent throughout. Practice - large putting green, great tiered chipping greens and fantastic nets.
No greens fees or societies at weekends. Large tees that don’t wear.

I’m undecided if I’ll rejoin croham, attempt to return to farleigh or try another in the area. In my first year there I knew it was home and stayed for 10 years, while I enjoy croham there is just a few bits that don’t quite tick the box yet others I know there have been there 30 plus years so it really does depend want you want from a course.

Honestsocks.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m sure mid Kent is closing along with southern valley as the new rover crossing is going in
Southern Valley definately will, but I think you'll find Mid Kent is just outside the work area and will be OK.
Just down the road there is Rochester and Cobham.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Disclosure. I'm not a club member. Don't play regularly enough to justify membership anywhere local to Croydon/Bromley area. Most of my golf is society or blagging games with mates who are members, plus of course pay and play (High Elms my favourite locally). Don't know about competitions atc.

Of the Altenwood courses, I've played several times at Westerham and The Addington, and once at Woldingham (but never again although it has to be said it was winter). Westerham is basically a society course for most of the year and in busy season members can't get on their course. The Add has had a lot of work done over the last couple of years and you don't necessarily now lose your ball if you stray off the fairway. As BIM said, quirky but interesting. I enjoy playing it 2 or 3 times a year but wouldn't join even if I could justify it.

Add Palace. Nice course with imo one of the toughest front 9 around and greens are usually excellent. As a 5 h/c it might suit your game. Quite a friendly bunch there I believe. Should drain quite well as it is partly on gravel (as is The Add). The adjacent Gravel Hill gives a clue ;)

I've only played Langly Park a few times over the years and it is, as you indicate, a bit boring. I can remember the 4 par 3's but most of the the rest of the holes blur into long tree lined fairways. Only 1 par 5 so some long par 4's. It is on clay so not sure how well it drains. They rebuilt and extended the patio area a while ago and I believe have many social events.

Croham Hurst and Purley Downs are 2 nice courses, mainly on chalk so should be playable most of the year round. Don't know about the social side. (Edit. Just seen Oddsock's comments)

Subdridge Park. What can I say that BIM hasn't already said. 2 lovely courses for your money that are in great condition most of the year, but it is on clay and has a stream/river running through it that can overflow after heavy rain. Over the last few years they have installed deep drainage on the greens and re-modeled the bunkers. They have a superb practice area with driving range and large short game area. The recent weather has meant that conditions under foot at the moment are crap, according to a mate of mine. Combination of worm casts, and sodden ground. He has said though that they are looking at considerable investment in improving drainage of the course in the near future.

Royal Blackheath? Nah. Not for me. They have taken out hundreds/thousands of trees just so that you can see the clubhouse from anywhere on the course. A bit up themselves from what I remember.

West Kent, Cherry Lodge? Do you want to travel that far for golf?

Two not mentioned - Dulwich and Sydenham and Chislehurst. Don't know much about D & S although there is a member on this Forum and Chislehurst is OK but at about 5100yds with 7 par 3's it is rather "compact" and a hard hat is recommended with all the crossing holes.

Most of the more "desireable" clubs now have waiting lists and some, I understand, a joining fee.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is an older link but my be relevant to mid Kent - https://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/news/golf-club-could-be-built-157983/

Re croham draining well, being chalk based as can be found in the bunkers I was drawn there for better drainage. What I will say is it’s suffered massively with worm casts. I know they can’t treat them due to chemical restrictions but I did expect better of the fairways.

I have a friend who’s at wrotham Heath and due to the chemical restriction they have put 30,000 tons of sand in the fairways which has reduced casting massively. I believe there is a 5yr plan reducing the amount required each year down to 5000 tons per year long term. This will not only improve drainage but stop casing without chemicals. I’ve played it once and have to say I quite liked it.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm a member at Westerham, and for that, I get to play Surrey National and Woldingham for free.
They've done a lot of work recently, clearing a lot of trees to improve airflow and grass conditions and it's playable pretty much all year round. No temporary greens ever, which is nice. Drains very well, and is one of the driest courses in the area. Not dry by any stretch in winter, but playable and enjoyable.
Lots of comps for members, including a medal and stableford each month between March and October, then two stablefords Nov - Feb.
Great practice facilities with driving range, short game area and a 9 hole par 3 course.
It is very busy during the week with societies, but at the weekend it's members only before 11am. I only play weekends anyway, so its no problem for me. We do have 5 hour rounds on occasion, but I'm hoping with the improvements/clearance being made, that should reduce. I love it there.
The Add is doing even more work and is currently a bit of a mess, but it's going to be so much better when done. Join there and you get rights at all four courses I believe.
I enjoyed Sundridge Park when I played it, but could never justify the cost. I imagine it's a fair bit quieter than Westerham, but not for me at that cost (and now distance since I moved).
I'll happily host you some time, if you want?

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve driven past the addington since the deforestation and along with the new irrigation and practice ground the place will be awesome! I reckon it’s a 2yr recovery but it’s going to be something special, I can see memberships costs rocketing once it’s done.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I’ve driven past the addington since the deforestation and along with the new irrigation and practice ground the place will be awesome! I reckon it’s a 2yr recovery but it’s going to be something special, I can see memberships costs rocketing once it’s done.
Get in early while you can! ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we easily over look travel time and major on travel distance. From Greenwich, it's easier to travel further but quicker than some might think:)