Sad Returning Golfer - 12 months+ waiting list, £2.7k Joining Fee

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I've been doing this kind of math for some time and just can't seem to pull the trigger.

Leaving aside the whole issue of joining fees, c.£2k /yr subs seems to be the going rate around here give or take a few 100 quid. Unless you're going to play more than once a week on average, irrespective of weather and conditions, often it is not much cheaper on a £ / per round basis than just paying the visitors' fee and not be locked in. Interestingly the breakevens seem to be very different away from the capital, so the business model of clubs further away must be different.

I think you need to look how much you value the intangibles - eg. maybe you can only play on Saturday mornings, access to competitions and handicaps, meeting other like minded players, the social scene etc. Unfortunately only you can answer that as each person will be different. I've not really thought about clubs much further away, since thn the hassle of a long 1.5hr drive there and back just makes it less likely I will regularly play and defeats the whole purpose for me.

In terms of joining fees, I think that is a whole different discussion.

D

Deleted member 15344

Guess will always depends on the course and if you could justify to yourself that you will get your money’s worth

There are a number courses near me that are a step in quality and price but I wouldn’t play there enough to justify the cost

D

Deleted Member 1156

Aaah joining fees, love em! Promotes loyalty to the club, provides an income stream for improvements and is virtually nothing over a period of time. I paid £1k when I joined 12 years ago, I reckon that works out at around £1 a round now for the time I've been there and reduces every time I play.
It's nothing to do with riff raff and all about moving the club forward.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Feeling quite sad today. I moved house during covid and had to give up my old membership at a lovely course as was several hours from my new location.

My new house is in a nice area, 5 minutes walk from a club which I had my eye on joining. I don't drive so it was a perfect fit.

Now I have found out they have a massive waiting list, even with a £2.7k joining fee. The subs are almost £2k a year on top, I live in Surrey so I know it is a better than average income area, but I was surprised.

Feeling bit glum now, what are people's predictions for the future, is this golfing boom here to stay?

Having lived in Surrey up to the late 80s it was thus then £500+ membership and £ 500+ joining fee. Has it ever changed? I was on a waiting list for 3 years got my offer of membership 2 weeks after I knew I was moving to Somerset!!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hi all,

Feeling quite sad today. I moved house during covid and had to give up my old membership at a lovely course as was several hours from my new location.

My new house is in a nice area, 5 minutes walk from a club which I had my eye on joining. I don't drive so it was a perfect fit.

Now I have found out they have a massive waiting list, even with a £2.7k joining fee. The subs are almost £2k a year on top, I live in Surrey so I know it is a better than average income area, but I was surprised.

Feeling bit glum now, what are people's predictions for the future, is this golfing boom here to stay?

I don't know where you are in Surrey, but basically that's the going rate for a decent club in Surrey. Mine is the same.

If you look at the public courses in the area, the are charging about £30 for a weekend green fee. Multiply that by 50 weeks in a year and you're at £1,500.

My £2,000 sub gets me all the golf I want which is usually at least once a weekend & once in the week, a locker, a decent bar & changing rooms, 2 snooker tables and access to socials that I'm paying an extra £500 a year for. The £2,000 joining fee is down to £200 per year and will only continue to go in one direction. We have a full membership and a long waiting list that is getting longer. Because we have a good product that people want, and it is priced reasonably when compared to the nearby competition. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is not likely to change; it's been the same for the 10 years I've been here.

It keeps the riff raff out - that's how I see it.

It's about keeping a revenue stream. I left a different club 10 years ago because of various issues. A lot of people did &went to a club with no joining fee; and left after a year. That club then has a £20k hole in its budget to fill.

The clubs charging joining fees have to make it worth people paying that, so it keeps the club on its toes, it can't afford to rest on its laurels. And it attracts people who are invested in the club.

And I'm sure that my mates on here will be quick to point out, if it was about keeping riff riff out it certainly didn't work in my case. :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Certainly heard a few stories of the return of joining fees. Only rumour, but my old club that had members paying full whack during lockdown with nothing in return have not only upped the fees this year but may also have re-introduced the joining fee not only for new members but also for previous members who quit during lockdown and were looking to come back again this year.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Nearly £5k in the first year and a waiting list, me personally, assuming no medical or legal reasons for not driving I'd invest in driving lessons and a cheapish run around, you'll have so many more options of clubs to join, or even just play occasionally as a guest/visitor.

You're apparently not familiar with the traffic levels round here. Driving far enough to save a meaningful amount will soon lose its appeal.

Lostgolfer

Visit site

I don't know where you are in Surrey, but basically that's the going rate for a decent club in Surrey. Mine is the same.

If you look at the public courses in the area, the are charging about £30 for a weekend green fee. Multiply that by 50 weeks in a year and you're at £1,500.

My £2,000 sub gets me all the golf I want which is usually at least once a weekend & once in the week, a locker, a decent bar & changing rooms, 2 snooker tables and access to socials that I'm paying an extra £500 a year for. The £2,000 joining fee is down to £200 per year and will only continue to go in one direction. We have a full membership and a long waiting list that is getting longer. Because we have a good product that people want, and it is priced reasonably when compared to the nearby competition. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is not likely to change; it's been the same for the 10 years I've been here.

It's about keeping a revenue stream. I left a different club 10 years ago because of various issues. A lot of people did &went to a club with no joining fee; and left after a year. That club then has a £20k hole in its budget to fill.

The clubs charging joining fees have to make it worth people paying that, so it keeps the club on its toes, it can't afford to rest on its laurels. And it attracts people who are invested in the club.

And I'm sure that my mates on here will be quick to point out, if it was about keeping riff riff out it certainly didn't work in my case. :)

Thanks for the write up.

I would happily pay £2,000 a year for a good club and the facilities that come with it. The joining fee is however hard to stomach, I would hope to be a member for 10+ years. But I am in my mid 30s, my work, my wife's work, my health, all factors that might mean I can't stay for so long.

And of course there are many other people who are happy to put the cash up for the product, just the way golf goes in this part of the world.