Joining fees creeping back ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
After reading homers post I think that that is how joining fees should operate for young players joining. Pay a full joining fee, but then give them cheaper rates. That would then tie them in

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The truth on JFs (and level of subs in general) is that for many it is simply a choice on what matters to the individual.

If I wish to replace my 08 Polo 1.2 (108k on the clock) then I'd almost certainly be looking to find and put down £2k+ on a replacement - and I will manage to do that and I won't complain. Likewise if I buy a new car I make the choice and accept that as soon as I drive out of the dealership I will almost certainly immediately lose a few £ks of capital of my own that I put down to reduce any financing I need. And I would accept that loss as it is what I choose to do with my money.

But I choose to stick with my little runaround as my golf is always going to be more important to me than the car that I drive.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The truth on JFs (and level of subs in general) is that for many it is simply a choice on what matters to the individual.

If I wish to replace my 08 Polo 1.2 (108k on the clock) then I'd almost certainly be looking to find and put down £2k+ on a replacement - and I will manage to do that and I won't complain. Likewise if I buy a new car I make the choice and accept that as soon as I drive out of the dealership I will almost certainly immediately lose a few £ks of capital of my own that I put down to reduce any financing I need. And I would accept that loss as it is what I choose to do with my money.

But I choose to stick with my little runaround as my golf is always going to be more important to me than the car that I drive.

More waffle. Golf is a leisure activity and so if people decide they can't afford membership with a joining fee then they'll look at P&P (if they want membership) or other ways to get a golfing fix. For many a car is more of a necessity and so a decision about what they do with their money in terms of getting a functional vehicle is far more important

Leftitshort

Visit site
More waffle. Golf is a leisure activity and so if people decide they can't afford membership with a joining fee then they'll look at P&P (if they want membership) or other ways to get a golfing fix. For many a car is more of a necessity and so a decision about what they do with their money in terms of getting a functional vehicle is far more important
The car is a metaphor. You’re agreeing with him…..it’s a choice

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
My old stomping ground Wimbledon Common for 7 day membership is £950 with a £60 joining fee. There are restrictions around tee times (so London Scottish can play round from their side of the course and around bank holidays) but proof that you don't necessarily need a second mortgage in SW London to get a membership

I hadn't heard of joining fees that small previously. That can definitely be called an admin fee, and nobody could complain about that. Also, I am amazed that you can play golf in London for that price. Brilliant.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have often wondered about the legal implications of joining fees being turned off and on for a club like mine that is members ownership.
If existing members are some who did not pay a joining fee and some who did, could the joining-fee-payers be said to own a greater stake in the club with a capital payment over and above the yearly subscriptions that others have paid? This could have implications if the club was ever sold to private hands. I do not know the answer.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you really just saying they should make it cheaper for you now so you can join?

Richmond Park does some great offers to allow people to play golf, as does Wimbledon Common. Hounslow Heath making a comeback soon also in a different guise……

No, not making it cheaper just for me. What I was saying is that that need to be looking further into the future maybe 15 years. Where my generation have a bit more money, kids who are older and may want to play. There won't be many in the area due to house prices and so won't have any connection to these places, they will be closer to other courses nearer where they have bought houses

Richmond Park if they had kept the entrance in Richmond Park then I would be playing there, as it is it is off the A3 now so takes me up to an hour to get to
Wimbledon Common, London Scottish etc over and hour a way, and you cannot play Sundays, as I play rugby on Saturdays that screws that
Hounslow Heath, is going to get a driving range and a pitch and putt, not really the same

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No, not making it cheaper just for me. What I was saying is that that need to be looking further into the future maybe 15 years. Where my generation have a bit more money, kids who are older and may want to play. There won't be many in the area due to house prices and so won't have any connection to these places, they will be closer to other courses nearer where they have bought houses

Richmond Park if they had kept the entrance in Richmond Park then I would be playing there, as it is it is off the A3 now so takes me up to an hour to get to
Wimbledon Common, London Scottish etc over and hour a way, and you cannot play Sundays, as I play rugby on Saturdays that screws that
Hounslow Heath, is going to get a driving range and a pitch and putt, not really the same
Where do you live?

sunshine

Visit site

If you can't afford to live there, other people can. Who do you think are buying these houses?