Joining a Golf Club

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi golferinos,

OK i have finally moved into my new house and managed to sort things out.

I have been chatting with a couple of people linked to Reddish Vale Golf Course (www.rvgc.co.uk) which is only up the road (very walkable after a few cheeky post round pints).

Obviously i have limited resourses now (cheers Mortgage!) but i do have a little money allocated to 'hobbies' each month.

They have so far offered, no joining fee, 7 day membership for £815 a year (£73 a month) which i have turned down as being too expensive in my current situation. They have said they are after new members especially people like me (being youngish...) and will come back to me with a better offer/deal.

I can afford to pay no more than £500 for the year - about £42 a month.

Any ideas on how to convince them to except this deal?

I have already argued that Manchester/Cheshire is dripping in Golf Courses and i have my pick and that Withington Golf Course are offering 7 day Membership to 24 year olds (i'm 29) for £8 a week with no joinging fee (they have ramped membership fees up to 34 years old).

Any advise :D

Oh and if i do manage to join i might be able to arrange a good rate for the legendary 'Northwest Golfathon' which seems to have gone a little pearshaped :eek:

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just be honest and let them know the limit of your budget,it wont harm to tell them what else you have been offered.

You could sweeten the pill by giving them an idea of how much of your entertainment budget would be spent there.

Food and Beverage are important revenue centres for a Golf Club.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you can show the club that you are going to do a bit more than turn up, play and go home then they may be more inclined to drop their rates. A member who uses the bar, has food now and again, takes lessons with the pro and gets involved in comps etc is always going to be more valuable so may be worth a gamble on reduced fees.

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers guys,

Hmmmm i suppose i could say i'm a raging alcoholic and would spend a fortune in the bar :D

I will mention that i would use the Bar (beer/food) and would like some course lessons. Also i have a few mates who are nomad golfers and would play at the course regulary with me.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can be subtle!

Tell them that being part of a something is important to you and that the possibility of team golf and social events is a big draw to this particular club.

Mention how you feel you would benefit from having a regular pro and chuck in that your kit might need upgrading soon.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
If you can show the club that you are going to do a bit more than turn up, play and go home then they may be more inclined to drop their rates. A member who uses the bar, has food now and again, takes lessons with the pro and gets involved in comps etc is always going to be more valuable so may be worth a gamble on reduced fees.

This includes getting visitors in to boost the revenue.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Micky

How's things now that your settled in how about a game at my place sometime i'm away in spain for a week this sunday but when i get back i will PM you if anyone else from the northwest wants to join us they are welcome more than likly to be on a sunday.

See your thinking of joining ether Reddish or Withington. i.m sure one of them will cut you a deal Reddish is a good course but tends to get closed a lot in the winter same with Withington due to it being on a flood plain so you need to think about that of the two it would be Reddish for me but watch out for Cardiac Hill or the 18th as it's known.

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers Doh, i will defo join you for a round of golf. PM me when you back and we can sort out the arrangements. I have made some serious inprovements to my swing recently (see swing vision thread).

Easy FFTD, yep lets get another round sorted out. hopefully Mark will be around for a round, not seen him on the board for a while. Hippy you fancy a round in the near future mate?