Membership Deal

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My current place has offered up a membership of £55 a month. Now I thought that it would be until April next year but no. It's a 20 month deal! Are they nuts? They have got a huge block of 35 blokes joined up on the deal from a course down the road, due to something happening there and annoying said 35 so they've joined our place. And why not on that deal! But sadly I won't be rejoining unless I'm on the same deal. And that's not going to happen. Why would you pay more for something others are getting for less? Just shows things are tight when stupid offers are thrown out there. I got a deal when I joined so have paid the same as the new blokes, but will want the same thing again otherwise sadly I'll leave. Looks as though my local club will be where I land as they now do a six day membership which will suit me fine.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Maybe I’m getting this wrong

The 35 are getting an introductory offer
When you joined you got a similar but different introductory offer

When your renewal is due if you don’t get a rate similar to the current introductory offer you’ll move on

When will the club ever be able to charge its members the standard rate if everyone is to continue on the introductory rate?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, clarification; You joined, and took advantage of, a reduced price deal. These new guys are joining and taking advantage of a reduced price deal. But you want another reduced price deal because they are getting one just like you did? Is that about right?

And people wonder why clubs are going out of business. With member attitudes like that, it's probably not their loss if you do move on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst slightly off topic

When we did something similar we had an influx from one local club who all still wanted to play together on a Saturday mornings.
Saturday mornings are one of the busiest and most sort after times and there was a lot of dissent from many members who were effectively ousted from their regular slots.

It did not affect me personally although it had a knock on effect for all Saturday tee times.

Brammall Mac

Visit site
My current place has offered up a membership of £55 a month. Now I thought that it would be until April next year but no. It's a 20 month deal! Are they nuts? They have got a huge block of 35 blokes joined up on the deal from a course down the road, due to something happening there and annoying said 35 so they've joined our place. And why not on that deal! But sadly I won't be rejoining unless I'm on the same deal. And that's not going to happen. Why would you pay more for something others are getting for less? Just shows things are tight when stupid offers are thrown out there. I got a deal when I joined so have paid the same as the new blokes, but will want the same thing again otherwise sadly I'll leave. Looks as though my local club will be where I land as they now do a six day membership which will suit me fine.
Which club are these blokes leaving? Think this is quite local to me.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, yes I realise that I'm being a bit (lot) selfish. But really would you honestly pay more for any product that you knew a bloke next door got cheaper?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just a fact of life I'm afraid

Not a betting guy but I’d wager a pkt of pink castles you are already paying more for products than other blokes. Whether its insurance, sky, smartphone, holidays or just a cheeky wee nandos etc etc etc, someone you know is getting a better deal

And whatever club you go to next... someone will be on a better deal

D-S

Visit site
Yes, yes I realise that I'm being a bit (lot) selfish. But really would you honestly pay more for any product that you knew a bloke next door got cheaper?
So that would mean that all the existing members, who were paying a full sub whilst you were profiting from a cheaper introductory rate, should have resigned en masse?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Millions must be doing this all the time with,

Internet
Phone
Gas
Electricity
Petrol
House and car insurance
Rail and air fares
etc

We try to do our best to get the best deals, but it all takes way too much time.
It would be much better if all such essentials were the same price for everyone, but that is not the world country we live in.

I can't see any problem with offers for new members, if a club needs more members to be viable.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
For golf, yes absolutely. I took advantage of a cut price deal to join. So I have already had my benefit.

I now pay full rate knowing fine well that new members are paying less.
This is perfectly acceptable.

JayB

Visit site
I can sort of understand your frustration if they suddenly slashed the prices to get more members is, while I wouldn't be happy I would accept it if the club needed to do this to survive but I can't understand why this would bother someone who is currently or has recently taken advantage of a similar introductory offer.

You'll probably end up paying full price and potentially a joining fee to join elsewhere anyway.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d feel the same with sky, mobile phones, insurance etc, and would gladly chop and change companies every year if it was cheaper. But not golf membership and especially if I’d previously benefitted from a similar introductory offer. I mean, they’re not doing it to make more money, they’re offering it in the hope that they’ll stay, enjoy the club and sign up for another year.

Part of me thinks you’re on a wind up here.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Is the local 6 day membership better value than you current and is the club to the same quality?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I worked at Harworth pit, we paid about £4 a week to be a member of the local welfare. It was 25 miles from me and I went once. To get more people paying they did a deal where the lads that had took redundancy from the pit could be welfare members for £1 a week. One of the lads went into the time office. Cancelled his £4 a week and and signed up for £1 a week deal. Within a couple of week hundreds of lads signed up for the £1 a week deal.
What seemed like a good idea and deal cost the local welfare thousands and thousands.