Joining a golf club?

Goyko

Visit site
Hi everyone,

New to the forum so apologies if this topic has already been covered. I’ve recently started playing golf again over the last 9 months and have been playing quite regularly as well, so joining a club would be slightly more cost effective, especially if I just want to pop over for 6-9 holes without thinking I have to get my monies worth and finishing the full 18.

This is the first time I’ve considered joining a club as back in my early/mid teens I would jump on my dads membership as a guest when he would play. But as I am considering joining myself, I wanted to ask everyone things you should need to consider before committing. Especially when some clubs would need you to pay quite a hefty joining fee upfront.

I have a club that’s local that I have in my sights, in fact I have recently put my name on the waiting list already. But as an inexperienced golfer are there any advise, or things I might want to consider before committing?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My advice, find a club that has a good social side to it, where you can have a drink after a round and feel comfortable - it makes it so much easier to integrate with the members, and from there, you'll find yourself making bonds with people to partner in future competetions or social rounds.

Mandofred

Visit site
Waiting list.....arggggg. Just a personal thing....but I wouldn't do it. I'd rather take up the banjo....oops...I can do that. Well.....something even more annoying than clawhammer banjo.

Jason.H

Visit site
Hi everyone,

New to the forum so apologies if this topic has already been covered. I’ve recently started playing golf again over the last 9 months and have been playing quite regularly as well, so joining a club would be slightly more cost effective, especially if I just want to pop over for 6-9 holes without thinking I have to get my monies worth and finishing the full 18.

This is the first time I’ve considered joining a club as back in my early/mid teens I would jump on my dads membership as a guest when he would play. But as I am considering joining myself, I wanted to ask everyone things you should need to consider before committing. Especially when some clubs would need you to pay quite a hefty joining fee upfront.

I have a club that’s local that I have in my sights, in fact I have recently put my name on the waiting list already. But as an inexperienced golfer are there any advise, or things I might want to consider before committing?

What area are you in? I joined a club that is half the price of my previous club and I much prefer this one. Didn’t have a waiting list or joining fee. Just golf, range and relaxed clubhouse.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Waiting list.....arggggg. Just a personal thing....but I wouldn't do it. I'd rather take up the banjo....oops...I can do that. Well.....something even more annoying than clawhammer banjo.

You would hardly ever be likely to get membership of the full course where I play. Post lockdown has seen an explosion in golf participation and we now have a waiting list of 77. We do offer membership on our 9 hole course whilst a player is waiting.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I would expect lots of clubs are not worried about inexperience.

If you have been paying regularly sounds like it is not inexperience of golf just golf membership. I know some members where I play that have played for donkeys years and still cannot break 100.

To me the social side of the game has always been very important as has the ability to play comps all year round. It is mainly through playing in comps that I got to know a lot of players.

Joining fees have crept back in for quite a few clubs now.

Goyko

Visit site
What area are you in? I joined a club that is half the price of my previous club and I much prefer this one. Didn’t have a waiting list or joining fee. Just golf, range and relaxed clubhouse.

I’m based in Dunstable, and looking at Dunstable Downs Golf Club. It’s quite a short waiting list, I was told I’m 5th in the waiting list ??‍♂️.

But from everyone’s comments it looks like the social side is quite important. Which I am actually looking forward to. Meeting new people sharing the love of the sport.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m based in Dunstable, and looking at Dunstable Downs Golf Club. It’s quite a short waiting list, I was told I’m 5th in the waiting list ??‍♂️.

But from everyone’s comments it looks like the social side is quite important. Which I am actually looking forward to. Meeting new people sharing the love of the sport.

Dunstable is a good club - good course , not sure about the social side but we always have a good match with them and the club house seems lively

Surprised they have a short waiting list when a good nearby have some big ones

It does get exposed to the elements the top half but some great holes , does get fog effected a bit - we have a few Dunstable guys at our place

Mandofred

Visit site
You would hardly ever be likely to get membership of the full course where I play. Post lockdown has seen an explosion in golf participation and we now have a waiting list of 77. We do offer membership on our 9 hole course whilst a player is waiting.
Yeah...I kind of understand. But when I got back into golf when I moved back to the UK....if you told me I had to "wait" to join a club....I wouldn't have bothered. This next year will see another exodus of players....they just can't afford it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’d say it depends what you are looking for from being a member and why you play golf.

Personally, I couldn’t care less what the social side of a club is like. The quality of the course and accessibility of tee times at the times I want to play are the most important things to me.

Goyko

Visit site
Dunstable is a good club - good course , not sure about the social side but we always have a good match with them and the club house seems lively

Surprised they have a short waiting list when a good nearby have some big ones

It does get exposed to the elements the top half but some great holes , does get fog effected a bit - we have a few Dunstable guys at our place
I’d say it depends what you are looking for from being a member and why you play golf.

Personally, I couldn’t care less what the social side of a club is like. The quality of the course and accessibility of tee times at the times I want to play are the most important things to me.

Yeah that is a valid point. Especially with accessibility of tee times. The club that I join, I’d want to make sure they offer the morning tee times to members only rather than visitors being able to book.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A brief look at the website indicates that the club has plans for the future and is not resting on its laurels. Joining on your own can provide challenges, so I would be asking them what steps they take to help new members integrate as quickly as possible with finding playing partners in both friendly golf and competitions.

AAC

Visit site
Dunstable is a good club, however it is a bit exposed to the elements but if your aware of that its not a problem, if its only a short wait to join you have Redbourne close by which I think you can pay and play on until your membership comes through.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'd definitely be looking at tee times. I play at weekends only, and my place is members only before 11.30am.

During the week though, there's some tee times booked for Vets comps and ladies comps, but then it's a free for all around those times, often with deals being offered too.

I know a few 5 day members who've left as they were sick of not being able to play, or having to follow societies round who took worse care of the course than the members (who aren't angels!)

Goyko

Visit site
A brief look at the website indicates that the club has plans for the future and is not resting on its laurels. Joining on your own can provide challenges, so I would be asking them what steps they take to help new members integrate as quickly as possible with finding playing partners in both friendly golf and competitions.

Yes I agree, I would be joining by myself. I have encouraged a friend who I play regularly with to also consider joining as well, but whether of not he does won't effect me really as I don't mind going round a golf course by myself at times, something quite therapeutically about just sticking your headphones in, listening to a podcast or some music while playing. With that said, your point about integrating new members trying to find suitable playing partners in friendly and competitions would be important to me.

Goyko

Visit site
Dunstable is a good club, however it is a bit exposed to the elements but if your aware of that its not a problem, if its only a short wait to join you have Redbourne close by which I think you can pay and play on until your membership comes through.

Redbourne is a lovely course from what I've read and also speaking to some people, but slightly further away from me, around 20-25 mins. Whereas Dunstable is only a 10 min drive which is another reason for me favouring them.

D

Deleted member 23270

Yeah that is a valid point. Especially with accessibility of tee times. The club that I join, I’d want to make sure they offer the morning tee times to members only rather than visitors being able to book.
According to the website it is a private members club so unlikely to have a problem with visitors at peak times.

Edit: Taken from the club website

Gone are the days of formal interviews with the Committee or playing auditions with a Committee member.

Translates as.....we let any robbin, thievin scally in as long as they pay up

Warning sign!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

I'm with BiM. It's the golf I join the golf club for, social side is a non-consideration