Membership fees, are they hurting clubs?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Certainly at one of my old clubs, there was a well established group of members (the great and the good of the club) who wanted to increase the membership costs as much as possible. Sadly as they were from a generation of golfers who remember clubs in the 70s and 8os and the prestige associated with golf club membership, they wanted to increase the 'exclusivity' of the club by pricing out certain sections of the community. I would not be surprised if some would happily double the cost and half the membership to get back the exclusive 'I am a member of the club' feeling that they used to have.
Why shouldn’t clubs want a bit more exclusivity. Why should all clubs be open to all? I’d gladly play more to cut down on members and foot traffic at my club, to have more availability on tee times etc.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why shouldn’t clubs want a bit more exclusivity. Why should all clubs be open to all? I’d gladly play more to cut down on members and foot traffic at my club, to have more availability on tee times etc.

Because that involved telling a percentage of the existing membership that they are no longer welcome and we are judging that not on your contribution to the club but on the size of your wallet. There is very much a social implication to the attitude of some involved and not simply one of access to tee times and foot traffic.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Because that involved telling a percentage of the existing membership that they are no longer welcome and we are judging that not on your contribution to the club but on the size of your wallet. There is very much a social implication to the attitude of some involved and not simply one of access to tee times and foot traffic.
…with perhaps one of the best (or worst) examples being just up the road from me back in 2015…what a stushie that was…

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wonder what the member retention numbers are like on those charging JF.

My current club is a non JF club and I think the run under the 10-15% membership churn per year. Now that figure is across all categories and from juniors through to vets but we always have newbies jointing so I believe the numbers are pretty stable overall.

Is it a case that with a members club with maybe 5% member turn they can afford to run the JF scheme.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

My current club is a non JF club and I think the run under the 10-15% membership churn per year. Now that figure is across all categories and from juniors through to vets but we always have newbies jointing so I believe the numbers are pretty stable overall.

Is it a case that with a members club with maybe 5% member turn they can afford to run the JF scheme.

I believe the club I am on the waiting list to join has a turn of 3% annually.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
At my club, I paid a joining fee over 5 years. If you did this it was 20% of that yearly fee.
Then when I had my bad spell on the course I went to social member so when I was ready to play again I could rejoin without a joining fee.

D-S

Visit site

Churn at my club is usually around 5% but has been less since COVID - we have always had a joining fee although payable over 3 years or so - we have had a waiting list for the past 10 years or so, off and on in the years before that.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like Imurg mentioned earlier, it's technically a joining fee dressed up as a loyalty scheme, you just pay over so many years then as soon as the numbers started to increase during the pandemic they applied a joining fee on top.

Another gripe I have with joining fees is it's not always fairly applied, for instance I'm aware of a club only charging a joining fee to 7 day members, these are the people who already pay the highest membership costs and potentially play the least amount of golf.
Ours is £1400 JF.

but if your Female or under 30yds old you don’t pay it.

So a multi millionaire female ( any age)or young man under 30 JF = £0

Bin man ( yes he was) 32 yrs old JF =£1400.

So much for equality!!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours is £1400 JF.

So much for equality!!!

Serious question but how does that fly with the transgender issues. If I apply to join and identify as female do I get the save £1400.00, would I have to pay if I then reverted to male pronouns.

This is not meant as a dig or any comment on the club nor is it meant at any comment on gender issues but simply an interest in how gender specific benefits apply in a more gender fluid world.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ours is £1400 JF.

So much for equality!!!

Completely against equal rights and discrimination! Legally that’s a very sticky place.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Completely against equal rights and discrimination! Legally that’s a very sticky place.

Incorrect. It’s permissible when done to achieve a legitimate aim, like wanting to attract young members. If the existing female members want to attract more young female members they can do so.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a fan of joining fees, and as such I personally wouldn't ever consider joining a club which charged one.

In my humble opinion the return of them are clubs becoming greedy, the short term boost clubs had from covid will slowly fade away, membership levels will eventually return to pre-pandemic levels.
Completely agree. I would never consider a club that had a joining fee, unless it was a very small amount. Just ripping you off. I'd prefer a club that stops members leaving by treating it's members well and keeping a good course standard, not just by making them feel trapped as they paid a whopping joining fee.