Changing Clubs (Membership)

robbo_17

Visit site
Good evening forum members - long time reader, first time poster!

I’m looking to get a bit more steer on the process that takes place when switching golf clubs?

For 2021, I was a member of a local muni that offered pay as you play membership. I paid an annual joining fee which gave me the access to a handicap and covered England golf fees, whilst simply paying a green fee each time I played.

I have decided that for 2022 that I would like to join a new course that offers a points based membership, which is a much higher standard of course with a larger membership pool.

Due to my membership for 2021 having now ‘expired’ (I don’t owe anybody anything, nor am I tied into an agreement), what is the process that is needed for me to join the new club?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Use your position to negotiate a few free months golf if you pay up front, that’s providing you can find a course offering a flexi scheme that has space.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Every member with England Golf has a CDH number which is required to get info off the E.G. WHS website.

Just give this number to your new club and tell them your old club. It also makes it easier if you tell your old club you are leaving and which club you are going to.

They should be able to find you from the England Golf portal and request a transfer.

Whilst you are no longer a member of a club you no longer have a handicap so be wary if you have entered any open comps in the interim period.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do you have to inform the old club you are leaving? A little bit old fashioned, although nothing wrong in this. Just join the chosen new club. They'll find your details and transfer you.

Ditto the bit about if you are signed up to any open comps. Are there any on?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Why do you have to inform the old club you are leaving? A little bit old fashioned, although nothing wrong in this. Just join the chosen new club. They'll find your details and transfer you.

So that his CDH number can be released, the new club needs to claim the member, the old club needs to release him

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Clubs may have a clause in their conditions of membership (that you've agreed to by becoming a member in the first place) that says you have to notify the club of your intention to resign your membership by a certain date or you will become liable for another year's subs whether you choose to use it or not.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You never ever burn bridges. I would request a meeting with Gm or club sec and ensure you discuss why you are moving clubs. You never know what improvements may be planned behind closed doors.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You never ever burn bridges. I would request a meeting with Gm or club sec and ensure you discuss why you are moving clubs. You never know what improvements may be planned behind closed doors.

Yes and no. Not sure how open some clubs may not be too open about their plans. Some might give you some idea of future plans but how soon will they be delivered?

robbo_17

Visit site
Thank you for all of the feedback on this guys.

I never signed any agreements when I first joined, nor will I be chased for any subs and they have always been paid in cash so I’m under no commitment from direct debit etc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It stops the club you are coming from getting an out of the blue request to transfer you to the new club so it will probably speed up things. Some clubs can be very tardy with transferring members we have one locally where it was known to take months pre WHS.

In this area there are quite a few clubs that run knockout opens pairs in the winter.