Fee for Supplementary Card

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The fee was introduced initially when the club computerised running competitions and managing handicaps. The members decided that the additional costs should be borne by the competitors; as is the cost of trophies (primarily commemorative glassware, engraving, honours boards, silverware insurance). Supplementary Scores were only introduced by CONGU a few years ago. So now, every time the competition/handicap software/computer is involved, a fee is charged. But the Competition's nominal is sill a red figure :(

Well you cut your cloth and don't give out commemorative gifts, why run at a loss?

Reactions: DCB

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not missing any point thank you very much. The role of match secretary/handicap secretary is a voluntary one. Making money off of golfers struggling to maintain their handicap is scrupulous simply because for whatever reason they can't make Saturday medals/competitions.

If your Saturday comps do not make enough money over a year to pay for expenses you simply add in a an extra competition/open competition/small levy.

How often does a club need to replace a computer?

Can I suggest that you stick to telling your club how it should be run and stop telling the rest of the world how things should be done.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Can I suggest that you stick to telling your club how it should be run and stop telling the rest of the world how things should be done.

Absolutely, when you stop telling me that the course rating system works and is fair.

If you don't like getting opinions back I suggest you don't post.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not missing any point thank you very much. The role of match secretary/handicap secretary is a voluntary one. Making money off of golfers struggling to maintain their handicap is scrupulous simply because for whatever reason they can't make Saturday medals/competitions.

If your Saturday comps do not make enough money over a year to pay for expenses you simply add in a an extra competition/open competition/small levy.

How often does a club need to replace a computer?
1) We provide plenty of midweek comps to satisfy all members' needs. But if they can't make Saturday medals/competitions and we didn't have midweek comps, why would they need a handicap?
2) As I pointed out, we already charge a small fee. The small loss is absorbed by the club (ie all members).
3) This was all done at the behest of the members because they thought it fairer.
4) We are upgrading and adding to our PSIs this year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No charge where I play.

It is part adminstered by the proshop (it is where the book is kept but all they have to do is to hand over the book and get it back) and the office who input the card (paid staff).

As the computer system is a major part of the running the club, not just handicapping I see no reason to have a charge where I play.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely, when you stop telling me that the course rating system works and is fair.

If you don't like getting opinions back I suggest you don't post.

Sorry. I had forgotten that, in addition to your uncanny ability to know how every other golf club should be run, you are also an unrecognised expert in course assessment. Hard to believe you were not snapped up by the R&A and USGA when they decided to start work on the WHS.

Anyway, enough of this good-natured banter - life is too short.

Last edited:

Visit site
They charge at my club and I agree with it. We have players who manage their hc’s by submitting Supp’s depending what comp is coming Up. I think it’s £2, our comps are £3 including two’s, why should they NOT pay for it if their intentions aren’t honourable. And those who can put supplements in are lucky, wish I could.

Swango1980

Visit site
They charge at my club and I agree with it. We have players who manage their hc’s by submitting Supp’s depending what comp is coming Up. I think it’s £2, our comps are £3 including two’s, why should they NOT pay for it if their intentions aren’t honourable. And those who can put supplements in are lucky, wish I could.
Charging them is not the answer. I think alternative action would be appropriate by the committee to those individuals

Swango1980

Visit site
Just heard of a club that make no charge for the first 3 supplementary cards in a year, but then charge £4 thereafter.

That seems a reasonable compromise. Ensures no one is charged to keep their "c" status, but then put in a hefty fee after. I guess that may discourage golfers in manipulating their handicaps using supplementary scores, and money for the account if a golfer is, for whatever reason, desperate to put in supplementary cards.

Of course, the whole 3 card thing won't matter when WHS comes into play.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Until this I'd never heard of payment for a supplementary I'm sure I'd not be happy after the costs of club membership down this way

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Until this I'd never heard of payment for a supplementary I'm sure I'd not be happy after the costs of club membership down this way
FFS what is the point , I thought this was surely included in my yearly membership[ EGU/SGU / CONGU] fees. :confused::mad:
But ??? how many supplementary cards are actually submitted each year, per club ?.

Visit site
Charging them is not the answer. I think alternative action would be appropriate by the committee to those individuals

So, don’t charge them for supplementaries, let them get their hc up for the big board comps and knockouts for free and watch them go shoot the lights out at the major comps when they come around!! I brought it to the committee’s attention but they said their is not a lot they can do.

Cat 1 players will mostly want to get their hc’s down but can only do it in official comps and don’t have that luxury of supp’s. I for one have struggled in last 2yrs to play in comps (12 in all) whether it’s mid week, roll up comps or drawn comps due to work, but that’s the only way I can reduce my hc. I for one would gladly pay to do Supp’s but I’m not allowed.
roll on this new system.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, don’t charge them for supplementaries, let them get their hc up for the big board comps and knockouts for free and watch them go shoot the lights out at the major comps when they come around!! I brought it to the committee’s attention but they said their is not a lot they can do.

Cat 1 players will mostly want to get their hc’s down but can only do it in official comps and don’t have that luxury of supp’s. I for one have struggled in last 2yrs to play in comps (12 in all) whether it’s mid week, roll up comps or drawn comps due to work, but that’s the only way I can reduce my hc. I for one would gladly pay to do Supp’s but I’m not allowed.
roll on this new system.
I thought cat 1 golfers were allowed to submit a limited number [5 ] supplementary cards per year ? :confused:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It really depends on the type of club and the frequency of submission of supplementaries. Clubs operating in a proprietary setup very often rely on a proportion of competition fees to pay for their administration costs such as handicapping software, computers etc.. If there were a significant number of members submitting supplementaries rather than paying competition entry fees, that could present a possible financial issue. A player who submitted only 3 supplementaries a year to maintain "c" status would not be contributing anything to the club's running costs if there was no charge - a little unfair on the other members. Not all clubs are the same.
I still disagree with it. If it was built into the membership fee nobody would bat an eyelid. Why does it have to be an optional extra? It’s a personal pet hate of mine to be honest. Everything is advertised on the cheap these days but you have to spend so much on options. Give me a set fee any day and a discount if I don’t want something.

And don’t get me started on buying hardware at a premium which needs a subscription! It’s ridiculous! If you’re a subscription service then hardware should be charged at cost at best. Rant over.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought cat 1 golfers were allowed to submit a limited number [5 ] supplementary cards per year ? :confused:

If a Cat 1 has lost "c" status at the beginning of a year, he may submit 3 supps to regain "c" status. In Scotland Cat 1s over 2.5 can submit supps whenever at the Home Club.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If a Cat 1 has lost "c" status at the beginning of a year, he may submit 3 supps to regain "c" status. In Scotland Cat 1s over 2.5 can submit supps whenever at the Home Club.

In Scotland Cat 1 golfers between 2.5 and 5.4 can submit up to 10 supplementary cards per season at any point in the season. Cat 1 below 2.5 can submit 3 cards between September 1st and December 31st.

Even experts get it wrong

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
was a pound at my last place, does seem odd having to pay. Also seems odd people would protest at this but not at being forced to spend £70 a year in the bar.

Swango1980

Visit site

roll on this new system.
Regarding your first paragraph, if golfers are that determined to cheat, then they will pay to do it as well. And they are cheating, if they are purposely shooting bad scores to go up 0.1. Unless you make it prohibitively expensive, which impacts on honest golfers who wish to submit supplementary cards.

Committees can act if there is enough evidence that this is going on. A handicap secretary and a team around him could decide to put the players handicap back down for example. If it is very obvious, the Committee could probably implement disciplinary procedures as well.

In all honesty, never known it to happen at my club, but would be a scummy thing to do to use supplementary cards for that.