Doubles card question

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's very informative thank you.
if I did get the card and give it to my handicap sec would he tell me to get stuffed?

You seem to be ignoring one of the basics of the handicap system which has always existed. The system does not allow you to decide after the event that you would like to submit your scores. You either play in an organised handicap qualifier or pre-register to submit a General Play score (supplementary score in the old days).

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You seem to be ignoring one of the basics of the handicap system which has always existed. The system does not allow you to decide after the event that you would like to submit your scores. You either play in an organised handicap qualifier or pre-register to submit a General Play score (supplementary score in the old days).
How can I pre register a better ball round?

I'm not ignoring anything. We have never submitted scores on day one (pairs) but day two (singles) has always required golfers to submit the round under general play.
I come off the course on day 1 to a barrage of abuse as me and my partner has a crazy score. All of a sudden I'm a bandit and people are saying the card more than meets the requirements for submission and I need to get it in. I'm here for advice as I'm getting conflicting info from my side (definitely too many cooks in one kitchen)
Is that OK?

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
How can I pre register a better ball round?
You can't. General Play scores are individual strokeplay only.

I'm not ignoring anything. We have never submitted scores on day one (pairs) but day two (singles) has always required golfers to submit the round under general play.
I come off the course on day 1 to a barrage of abuse as me and my partner has a crazy score. All of a sudden I'm a bandit and people are saying the card more than meets the requirements for submission and I need to get it in. I'm here for advice as I'm getting conflicting info from my side (definitely too many cooks in one kitchen)
Is that OK?
Four-ball competition scores are eligible for handicapping if the usual requirements are met (rules of golf, measured and rated course, etc.) and the thresholds reached. If these scores are not automatically submitted to WHS by the competition organiser, the scorecard should be returned to your handicap committee for manual input.

NearHull

Visit site
Returning to your OP. It was an Away Pairs Competition, therefore the Away Club organisers are responsible for submitting your score ( EG want all scores submitting for data analysis, not just those 42 and over). If your pair scored 42pts ( or -6 in medal) the software will do the rest. There is no ability to submit a single score.

Had you been playing at my course, we would have entered all recorded scores from your pairs return into the ClubV1 software and the EG Database software would’ve kicked in and determined what score would be set against each player. Only counting scores would be visible in the individual players’s record, the non counting scores are held in each player’s recor, in the background, only accessible by EG for analysis.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it’s not an official comp and a “swindle” etc or social comp etc then it’s no different to what we see where people put their social scores in as general play cards

If it’s a club competition then no you can’t put a singles card in

But an “away doubles” comp - there was nothing stopping you from entering a general play card
Being given advice (by your BB partner) is surely a no-no for an individual general play score.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just to be clear, the Rules of Handicapping do not allow you to decide to submit a general play score after playing.

But the EG App does, it has no way of knowing if you have pre-registered.
The EG App also has no way of knowing if the score you have entered was from an individual stroke play event, or if it was from a 4BBB or team event (e.g. best 2 or 3 of 4).
The EG App also has no geo locator function for the score attester, so the requirement for the ‘marker’ to witness the round can be circumvented.
The Rules of Handicapping (4.3) require score to be submitted by midnight on the day played, but the EG App allows up to 48 hours before a penalty score is applied.

You can see why General Play scores get a bad name when compared to Competition scores in which all of the above requirements would be met.

The shortcomings of the IT systems mean that the ‘checks and balances’ are down to 000’s of handicap committee volunteers looking at General Play, Unsatisfied score intent and Penalty score reports on the EG platform every day. I doubt this is happening.

Last edited:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yet week in week out people are playing the mixed formats socially and submitting GP cards in
Yes, because the technology lets them.
I suspect if it was the old manual process, i.e pre-register in a book and then bring your card in, there wouldn’t be anywhere near the number of GP cards.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Yes, because the technology lets them.
I suspect if it was the old manual process, i.e pre-register in a book and then bring your card in, there wouldn’t be anywhere near the number of GP cards.

There would be very very little - the old cat 1’s couldn’t even submit one , mainly people only did a GP card to keep HC active and or gain a new HC