England Golf General Play Restrictions

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The vast majority of golfers will rarely (if ever) encounter drawn playing groups when it comes to regular club comps, especially on a weekday.

We run club comps on Tuesdays and Sundays, and a Seniors comp on Fridays - all are drawn playing groups.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If that’s the case how come so many vanity handicaps are getting into elite comps.
so many in fact that EG have had to act.?
They have more tools available with WHS than they did with the UHS. Further, there are more scratch players now than ten years ago so balloting out wasn't such a problem.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They have more tools available with WHS than they did with the UHS. Further, there are more scratch players now than ten years ago so balloting out wasn't such a problem.
What’s the reason they have more scratch players now ?
skill or manipulation.
given EGs actions it might be the latter!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All comps at mu club are drawn, same at last club.

What is the norm at other clubs? Just play with your mates?
We play with who you can get on with .
but once on you can book your pal on.
but the same people seem to get the same times every week ,god knows how they do it you need very fast fingers.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you really believe that?
Well I played with lots of scratch players in the scratch league years ago.
it’s hard to get there and stay there.
given what WHS has done at the other end of golf ,and EGs actions it’s not so hard to belive.

you didn’t answer the question unless you think it’s skill.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
We play with who you can get on with .
but once on you can book your pal on.
but the same people seem to get the same times every week ,god knows how they do it you need very fast fingers.
When loads of us left last place, one chap called up all the local clubs to see what they do with comps. If comp groups were just arranged by players booking their own times, it immediately ruled that club put for him. Not many, but one or 2 clubs did that.

His reasoning was he doesn't know anyone, so wanted to go to club where draws are done, and he gets to play with different people.

Anytime I talk to people at such a club, there always seems to be murmurs about certain groups perhaps being ignorant of certain rules. You can imagine them not understanding a rule, and just applying the incorrect procedure for years without batting an eyelid.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When loads of us left last place, one chap called up all the local clubs to see what they do with comps. If comp groups were just arranged by players booking their own times, it immediately ruled that club put for him. Not many, but one or 2 clubs did that.

His reasoning was he doesn't know anyone, so wanted to go to club where draws are done, and he gets to play with different people.

Anytime I talk to people at such a club, there always seems to be murmurs about certain groups perhaps being ignorant of certain rules. You can imagine them not understanding a rule, and just applying the incorrect procedure for years without batting an eyelid.
Yes I have seen that with my own eyes.
when I have joined people on my own I have pointed things out to them ,but they look like they are going to bury me somewhere in the countryside.
lots of problems in golf imo.
but to many people with their heads in the sand that I try to just keep my mouth shut now and just play my own game.

wjemather

Visit site
If that’s the case how come so many vanity handicaps are getting into elite comps.
so many in fact that EG have had to act.?
The reality is that there are very few. The new conditions are simply a safety net to catch vaguely suspect (not definite) cases that are slipping past local handicap committees (and provide a level of appeasement).

wjemather

Visit site
What’s the reason they have more scratch players now ?
skill or manipulation.
given EGs actions it might be the latter!
There are (a lot) more scratch players simply because the yardstick has changed; most players with an exact of about 1.5-2.0 and below under UHS transitioned to about scratch or lower under WHS.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
All comps at mu club are drawn, same at last club.

What is the norm at other clubs? Just play with your mates?

Certainly how it is at our place - booking goes live and someone will just get on and book their usual time and add on their 3 usual playing partners.

As a single golfer its a bit of a mare but usually through the week one of the 4 or 3 will pull out leaving gaps for the singles to fill.

In fairness ive often booked on later and there's never been any animosity for breaking up someones usual 4ball but when you look at the tee sheet it's always the same names in the same times. Even more so since they changed the tee sheet from going live at 7pm as opposed to midnight.

Swango1980

Visit site
Certainly how it is at our place - booking goes live and someone will just get on and book their usual time and add on their 3 usual playing partners.

As a single golfer its a bit of a mare but usually through the week one of the 4 or 3 will pull out leaving gaps for the singles to fill.

In fairness ive often booked on later and there's never been any animosity for breaking up someones usual 4ball but when you look at the tee sheet it's always the same names in the same times. Even more so since they changed the tee sheet from going live at 7pm as opposed to midnight.
In our comps, you pick a morning or afternoon slot.

After than, many of them are drawn in handicap order. Given WHS handicaps change so much these days, it means you often get to play with a range of different people anyway which is good (pre WHS, you could be with the same guys quite often). In other comps, groups are randomly drawn with a low, medium and high handicapper.

For fun team events, you generally get to pick your teams and your slot.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just last year for some (maybe all, not sure) medals we introduced (or at least trialled) comp entry by block e.g 7-9; 9-11; 11-1. Then in each block draw for playing 3 balls.

The individual stableford rollup I play on Saturdays (typically 24-32 playing - of full range of handicaps) is a random draw. Individual players can choose whether or not they wish to submit a WHS card for their round. Some do, most don’t.

Our Thursday rollup (40-60 playing) is a WHS round for all. This is prob as many who play in it are seniors who prefer to play mid-week golf only and this round helps maintain their a handicap record.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I played with lots of scratch players in the scratch league years ago.
it’s hard to get there and stay there.
given what WHS has done at the other end of golf ,and EGs actions it’s not so hard to belive.

you didn’t answer the question unless you think it’s skill.
Well my observations at county level certainly suggest there are many more genuine elite level players about.

Swango1980

Visit site
Well my observations at county level certainly suggest there are many more genuine elite level players about.
Maybe the coaching is better these days. Or, as mentioned, many players who used to have a handicap of about 2 are now of scratch or better with new system?

Is that simply down to the mathematics of how it works, or these guys can now submit GP rounds and "force" their handicap down quickly. Even if not manipulation, maybe the fact these rounds are nice relaxed social rounds instead of official comps, that may not come round often, and there were nerves about getting 0.1 back.

Swango1980

Visit site
There are (a lot) more scratch players simply because the yardstick has changed; most players with an exact of about 1.5-2.0 and below under UHS transitioned to about scratch or lower under WHS.
If it is true the yardstick has changed, and low handicappers before have simply got a lower Index now, then could England Golf not simply reduce the handicap limit for elite competitions?

Whereas, by prohibiting players with a certain amount of GP rounds indicates EG do not trust these players handicaps (not all of them, but enough of them to make it an issue for them).