England Golf and General Play Scores

wjemather

Visit site
Some people don’t want to change ,, nothing wrong with that.
This system has been forced on them and lots don’t like it.

I have put the same amount of GP cards that I put supplementary cards in = none.
There is no force. You can always choose to opt out of handicapping.

wjemather

Visit site
I don’t know of any around here, can you name a few?
Ashton Court and similar facilities.
I suspect Farrington Park may be one in the near future. I'm surprised Woodspring remains affiliated given they no longer have any members.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
He's just trolling. I don't think anyone genuine would think a club would sacrifice affiliation just because they hated the handicap system. They'd just go with it, as it is the better of 2 evils.
I was merely suggesting individual players are free to opt out if they wish.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never played golf with anyone marking a GP card.

All the players I know do what they have always done.

Social golf for a pint ( by the rules) comp card in hand for Handicap.

wjemather

Visit site
What is their alternative? Short of giving up handicap competition golf? I'm unaware of any unaffiliated clubs that run their own system. Certainly none that I know of in my county
The alternative is to not have an official handicap and forego the benefits that come with having one.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clubs would not do anything. Imo
But most golfers I know play golf midweek socially.
Any comps they put a card in ,nothing has really changed for them or me.

D-S

Visit site
Ashton Court and similar facilities.
I suspect Farrington Park may be one in the near future. I'm surprised Woodspring remains affiliated given they no longer have any members.
Ashton Court is a 9 hole short pitch and putt and they haven’t been able to affiliate, they might do after the April changes. Woodspring is affiliated as is Farrington but we do not know what they will do when they go down to 12 holes. I still haven’t heard of a proper course that isn’t affiliated to a Union - indeed courses such as Star Golf near Cheltenham are working hard to become affiliated despite their limitations.

YandaB

Visit site
I played South Cerney last summer, couldn't find any course ratings. It's a proper course but jot sure that it's affiliated.

wjemather

Visit site
Ashton Court is a 9 hole short pitch and putt and they haven’t been able to affiliate, they might do after the April changes. Woodspring is affiliated as is Farrington but we do not know what they will do when they go down to 12 holes. I still haven’t heard of a proper course that isn’t affiliated to a Union - indeed courses such as Star Golf near Cheltenham are working hard to become affiliated despite their limitations.
A "proper course". Sounds like the kind of place where they play "proper golf".

Star Golf is union affiliated.

D-S

Visit site
Woodspring does still have some members and they don’t have the smallest membership of affiliated clubs in the county.

wjemather

Visit site
Woodspring does still have some members and they don’t have the smallest membership of affiliated clubs in the county.
They are showing over 80 members on WHS, but that is only because they haven't completed their admin and resigned them - their membership ceased last year (almost a dozen came to us). As far as I know, the only remaining current/valid "members" are staff.

Last edited: