England Golf General Play Restrictions

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The article refers to the top events, but I've been booking Opens for the year and noticed far more clubs this year impsoing conditions on players with non-club handicaps and handicaps lacking varying numbers of non-competition scores.

It's been coming.

It's both sides of the equation too. Not just "Pot-hunters" (or should that be voucher hunters!!) I got asked to play in a pairs event with an old colleague as his usual playing partner currently has a WHS of 2.6 and hasn't broken 80 in a comp in about 2 years. (club in Wiltshire who don't seem to do much investigation) My mate has stopped playing with him in pairs as it's pointless! (no pun intended)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think Irish golf has brought something where more competitive rounds will get priority on entry to opens over those with more GP rounds in the handicap record, or they will ballot out those with more GP rounds.

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
The article refers to the top events, but I've been booking Opens for the year and noticed far more clubs this year impsoing conditions on players with non-club handicaps and handicaps lacking varying numbers of non-competition scores.

It's been coming.

It's both sides of the equation too. Not just "Pot-hunters" (or should that be voucher hunters!!) I got asked to play in a pairs event with an old colleague as his usual playing partner currently has a WHS of 2.6 and hasn't broken 80 in a comp in about 2 years. (club in Wiltshire who don't seem to do much investigation) My mate has stopped playing with him in pairs as it's pointless! (no pun intended)

I'm glad to hear that clubs are looking at it. I'd certainly rather play an open event where the entrants are properly vetted beforehand. Mind you I put in a lot of General Play cards so I'd probably be struck off!

I think the theory behind General Play cards is great, for the straight-laced amongst us it an opportunity for your handicap to fully reflect your current form. I'm all for submitting them at every possible opportunity. Unfortunately there are always a few who will manipulate the system to their advantage whether that be to maintain a vanity handicap or to artificially inflate their handicaps for the sake of a voucher.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Irish golf has brought something where more competitive rounds will get priority on entry to opens over those with more GP rounds in the handicap record, or they will ballot out those with more GP rounds.
"The (EG) policy has also been adopted by Golf Ireland, who have included similar limitations in their own championship entry policies."

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
From our Competitions Handbook…gives club scope for setting a terms of entry for our main comps (inc opens I‘d assume) based upon a minimum number of competition scores in a players WHS record.

Competitors must have submitted at least six WHS qualifying scores in the twelve-month period prior to entering any board competition. These scores can be entered via other club stroke-play competitions (Monthly Medals/Stablefords/Official Club qualifying Roll-Ups) or pre-registered casual play cards. Some specific events may have further entry conditions based on competitions played.

NearHull

Visit site
From our Competitions Handbook…gives club scope for setting a terms of entry for our main comps (inc opens I‘d assume) based upon a minimum number of competition scores in a players WHS record.

Competitors must have submitted at least six WHS qualifying scores in the twelve-month period prior to entering any board competition. These scores can be entered via other club stroke-play competitions (Monthly Medals/Stablefords/Official Club qualifying Roll-Ups) or pre-registered casual play cards. Some specific events may have further entry conditions based on competitions played.

We have a similar restriction, but focussed at not winning a prize, rather than stopping entry. We allow members who haven’t got the necessary number of Competition scores to enter, without paying the entry fee; this method enables them to build up their competition entries.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

We have something similar, 3 stroke play comps in last 12 months to enter board comps. General play cards don't count to this total

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
from the opening of the article

Players entering England Golf’s top tournaments could be turned away if their handicap records include too many general play scores.

D-S

Visit site

This is fairly typical in our County, 5-6 being most common but with a few at 3 and some with variations such as x competition rounds or a minimum played in competition at their own club. We have one local'ish course though that have gone for 12, a big step.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I'm reading the NCG article correctly, the policy isn't that you'll be turned away just for having too many general play scores.

It's that if you have more general play scores than a pre-set limit, then those general play scores will be checked. And if they are not representative of your competition scores you may be 'not selected'. Presumably that means if your general play scores are representative of your competition play, then all will be fine?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a similar restriction, but focussed at not winning a prize, rather than stopping entry. We allow members who haven’t got the necessary number of Competition scores to enter, without paying the entry fee; this method enables them to build up their competition entries.
We have just the same.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I'm reading the NCG article correctly, the policy isn't that you'll be turned away just for having too many general play scores.

It's that if you have more general play scores than a pre-set limit, then those general play scores will be checked. And if they are not representative of your competition scores you may be 'not selected'. Presumably that means if your general play scores are representative of your competition play, then all will be fine?
The WHS platform has a report for just this purpose

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

If I read that right then your club are quite happy with all 6 being general play?

wjemather

Visit site
Such conditions would be unnecessary if all handicap committees were diligent in knowing their players, analysing the available reports and taking any necessary action.

And just a thought for anyone who thinks these kinds of measure measures "fix" anything... before WHS, unscrupulous players (who perhaps do not have a diligent handicap committee) thought nothing of paying a couple of quid to enter club comps and submit questionable scores for the purpose of massaging their handicaps.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Such conditions would be unnecessary if all handicap committees were diligent in knowing their players, analysing the available reports and taking any necessary action.
Our Annual review produced only 3 recommendations; all potential handicap increases of 1 stroke. One accepted the recommendation. We knew one had a health issue so took no action. One appealed and we discovered he also had had a health issue so took no action.
Our assistant manager monitors scores and handicaps regularly and the h'cap committee meets monthly.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'm nowhere near the level where I'd be getting into these balloted events anyway and I understand the abuse that the current system could lead to.

However, for me with a young family, I rarely get a pass out for a 5 hour competition round on a saturday morning, so the bulk of the cards on my record are general play recorded during midweek evening rounds.

When I play in an open I do it because its the chance at a rare day out at a decent course. To then be denied entry to these would be pretty gutting to me.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm nowhere near the level where I'd be getting into these balloted events anyway and I understand the abuse that the current system could lead to.

However, for me with a young family, I rarely get a pass out for a 5 hour competition round on a saturday morning, so the bulk of the cards on my record are general play recorded during midweek evening rounds.

When I play in an open I do it because its the chance at a rare day out at a decent course. To then be denied entry to these would be pretty gutting to me.
EG are restricting the condition to oversubscribed elite competitions. Possibly only affecting +2 or better players.