9 hole general play

JGolfer

Visit site
I have checked England golf website and I can’t see anything that supports what I have been told.

I did some general play rounds at an away course (9holes) pre registered for 9 put my hcap allowance in, and returned the cards to my club to submit, however they said they can only submit 9 hole scores for general play if it’s a 9 hole course? This was an 18 hole course but I registered for 9. My PP, has submitted theirs to their own course without issue, but my course is stating they can’t submit them as it won’t let them?

As far as I can see, the only thing you can’t do is register for 9 holes as part of an 18 hole round?

If anybody can advise would be greatly appreciated.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
That's rubbish. As long as the two 9s are rated individually then you can play 9 holes and have them count towards your handicap.

I did this numerous times last year.

Also, why did you need to return them to your club to enter them, just do it via the England Golf app, just load up the app, select the course, which 9 you're doing and then submit it at the end (as long as you're playing with another person who is a member somewhere to sign it off).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You would not be able to do it where I play you would not be able to put in the course on any app despite the fact that both 9s are rated.

Our designated course for 9 hole handicaps is our 9 hole course.

JGolfer

Visit site
That's rubbish. As long as the two 9s are rated individually then you can play 9 holes and have them count towards your handicap.

I did this numerous times last year.

Also, why did you need to return them to your club to enter them, just do it via the England Golf app, just load up the app, select the course, which 9 you're doing and then submit it at the end (as long as you're playing with another person who is a member somewhere to sign it off).

Sadly my away course is in Scotland, so had to return the cards to my home course in England.

This is my confusion as the person I was playing with returned their cards to their course and had them successfully uploaded.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You would not be able to do it where I play you would not be able to put in the course on any app despite the fact that both 9s are rated.

Our designated course for 9 hole handicaps is our 9 hole course.

so if someone came to your club with the EG app and pressed 9 hole (as their rated) would the card not work?

wjemather

Visit site
isnt part of WHS the ability to have a handicap using 9 hole cards to open it up to more people?
To function as intended, WHS relies on the competence of players, club handicap committees, national bodies (including county and regional advisors), etc. All have responsibilities to fulfil, and in this case it's the club handicap committee who are failing theirs.

wjemather

Visit site
Sadly my away course is in Scotland, so had to return the cards to my home course in England.

This is my confusion as the person I was playing with returned their cards to their course and had them successfully uploaded.
Your club will need to setup the Scottish course (or just the set of tees) on the WHS Platform if it is not there already (which is quite likely for 9 hole tee sets), but that is a simple process (that England Golf have documented and issued).

wjemather

Visit site
But both sets of 9 will have been given a rating. Check here https://www.randa.org/worldhandicapsystem/Lookup

Has your club simply not set them up in your system?
Even if they are setup on the WHS Platform, they could still be disabled for score entry via the app. For example, our back tees are disabled to prevent increased wear (only matches are to be played from these tees outside of organised comps). There will undoubtedly be some people around that do not believe 9 holes rounds should count, so have disabled them for their club.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even if they are setup on the WHS Platform, they could still be disabled for score entry via the app. For example, our back tees are disabled to prevent increased wear (only matches are to be played from these tees outside of organised comps). There will undoubtedly be some people around that do not believe 9 holes rounds should count, so have disabled them for their club.

our club didnt even realise the back 9 was available to enter as a 9 hole, it was only when i pointed it out to my mate who is on the committee that it was noticed . it now appears on our app.. they didnt even know we were rated for the back

im pushing for one of the 9 hole comps a month to be back 9

JGolfer

Visit site
Your club will need to setup the Scottish course (or just the set of tees) on the WHS Platform if it is not there already (which is quite likely for 9 hole tee sets), but that is a simple process (that England Golf have documented and issued).

Will chase it up today with them, haven’t heard an update.

I have had nothing but issues with my hcap since I got it. Had 3 initial cards in, then WHS came out, did around 7 general play scores. Few months later every score was deleted from my clubs app, and removed from England golf, queried it, they readded them, I left the club didn’t play for around a year due to some surgeries, when I then checked, all the scores had been deleted again, but then some where re added around a 8 months later. Have queried this with my old club too, who are investigating.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
so if someone came to your club with the EG app and pressed 9 hole (as their rated) would the card not work?

Having checked with the admin manager

A course needs to be registered on the WHS portal to be able to submit a card for handicap on it and not just rated.

Neither the front or back 9s of our 18 hole course are so registered.

Our 18 hole course is an out and back style course so it is hardly ever likely that someone would want to submit a 9 hole card anyway.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A course needs to be registered on the WHS portal to be able to submit a card for handicap on it and not just rated.

Our 18 hole course is an out and back style course so it is hardly ever likely that someone would want to submit a 9 hole card anyway.

That's for getting back to me

That's interesting because our back 9 wasn't registered for it but appeared on golf England and not our app for ages

wjemather

Visit site

For England, clubs were tasked with setting up their courses and tee markers on the WHS Platform in mid-2020. Since the initial post-implementation period, any additions/corrections/changes have required filling out a simple form, downloadable from the EG website.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For England, clubs were tasked with setting up their courses and tee markers on the WHS Platform in mid-2020. Since the initial post-implementation period, any additions/corrections/changes have required filling out a simple form, downloadable from the EG website.

Yes but, as said, we do not have a need. I would suggest re-reading the last sentence.