WHS General Play and Competition Play

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
NAY LAD!!! Surely that should be only on dry, sunny, windless days when the player has had a good nights sleep, feeling up for it, with their 'Match-head on' & they're not frustrated by slow players ahead or fast players pushing them from behind!! Hahha... welcome to the real world of a WHS H/cap for all seasons on all courses either home or away in all sorts of conditions.
That might be ok in Florida.
But courses in the UK are vastly different in winter.
Given people are saying set up of the course must be consistent ( mine parkland isn’t in winter) I can’t see how those cards can be submitted.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That might be ok in Florida.
Given people are saying set up of the course must be consistent ( mine parkland isn’t in winter) I can’t see how those cards can be submitted.
How do you do in Club Comps? Is it really 1998 since you won anything?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Surely it’s down to the management or committee to determine if a course meets the requirements for it to be deemed acceptable for handicap score submissions.
If it isn’t, switch off the facility in the EG WHS platform, it’s so simple.
We introduced forward winter tees in November, not a measured and rated course, so disabled / switched off the markers (tees) in EG WHS and haven’t had a general play submission since. No one’s bothered by this.

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely it’s down to the management or committee to determine if a course meets the requirements for it to be deemed acceptable for handicap score submissions.
We introduced forward winter tees in November, not a measured and rated course, so disabled / switched off the markers (tees) in EG WHS and haven’t had a general play submission since. No one’s bothered by this.

Exactly what we do

Each day the message on the course status states which tees are valid for handicap cards , and also if the course overall is valid for HC cards

The EG app is now also being switched off

We have had issues where it’s just been yellows for HC cards and people have put in cards on white tees - so now not going to allow only certain tees being qualifying

Swango1980

Visit site
Exactly. people can discuss various problems they think WHS might have, but this isn't one of them. Human beings who work for the golf course set the golf course up. It is an active decision, and thus it should be a fairly basic task that when a course is not set up the way is would normally, then scores can't be submitted for handicap. That has to be straight forward. Unless the club is like my last one. Where, the greenkeepers are farmers, know nothing about golf, and will set the course up as they see fit (i.e. in winter, decide to put greens on temps, maybe put tee pegs on some fairways, etc) without telling anyone. And even if they told the owner, he also knows nothing about golf, nor do the staff. And there certainly won't be anyone on the Committee at hand each morning to turn on or off functionality to put in cards, not will they know when they come to check scores in the next week or so, which days the course was not set up for them, or even what periods in the day it wasn't set up.

Don't have that issue at my place. The head greenkeeper is a golfer and on Committee anyway. Although, not that this is relevant, as we have had a minimum of 1 green all winter making a hole about 100 yards shorter than normal, so golfers have not been able to submit scores at all for 4 months now.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only comp socres on my record.

Too many dodgy GP round scores go in from other people at my club so I tend to stay away.

I’ve seen people bang in 4 x GP rounds in a two days, 2 cards a day for the front 9 and back 9.

One way of knocking off a green.

Comical
As WHS is based on providing a handicap that reflects the way you are currently playing surely it's better to add GP rounds to keep your playing record up to date?

There has been little opportunity to play competitive rounds over the winter due to the poor weather so GP is the only real alternative.

You obviously play a lot of competitive rounds - well done. No everyone is fortunate enough to be able to do so.

I would rather see a playing records with 20 scores in the last 6 months than one with half a dozen over the last 3 years.

Swango1980

Visit site
Only comp socres on my record.

Too many dodgy GP round scores go in from other people at my club so I tend to stay away.

I’ve seen people bang in 4 x GP rounds in a two days, 2 cards a day for the front 9 and back 9.

One way of knocking off a green.

Comical
After reading this post, I've decided to quit driving, and use public transport instead. There are too many dodgy drivers out there, that exceed speed limits and use their mobile phones, so I've decided to stay away :)

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
If you play your GP rounds in the same fashion / mindset and with the same rules applied as you would competition rounds then there really isn’t an issue.

How many of you do this?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As WHS is based on providing a handicap that reflects the way you are currently playing surely it's better to add GP rounds to keep your playing record up to date?

There has been little opportunity to play competitive rounds over the winter due to the poor weather so GP is the only real alternative.

You obviously play a lot of competitive rounds - well done. No everyone is fortunate enough to be able to do so.

I would rather see a playing records with 20 scores in the last 6 months than one with half a dozen over the last 3 years.
Just seems pointless putting any cards in when the course is like mashed potato. I've got nothing on my record since mid-December, but the course has been just barely playable since the turn of the year. Can't see the point of putting a card in of me chopping it around in a mud-bath.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Just seems pointless putting any cards in when the course is like mashed potato. I've got nothing on my record since mid-December, but the course has been just barely playable since the turn of the year. Can't see the point of putting a card in of me chopping it around in a mud-bath.

I would definitely do this if I wanted to increase my handicap ready for the good times ahead 👀

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you play your GP rounds in the same fashion / mindset and with the same rules applied as you would competition rounds then there really isn’t an issue.

How many of you do this?
Me
And, contrary to popular belief, you can still have a laugh and have fun whilst playing to put a card in...
It's all in the mind

Swango1980

Visit site

How many of you do this?
In terms of wanting to play and score well, I will have this attitiude every time before I go out. But, if you are comparing every single factor that goes into a players mindset, then I'm sure there will be different mindsets between GP and competition rounds. Absolutely.

But, I could say the same thing about different types of competition. I would say I've a different, more relaxed mindset in a Stableford than I do in a medal. Knowing I can have a car crash and it'll only cost me a nett double bogey (effectively).

Some might play differently in the Club Champs. Some might spend a week practicing that they wouldn't do for most other comps, potentially go out and shoot their best scores if all goes to plan.

I was the other way last year. Round 1 shot a poor 86. In Round 2, with nothing left to play for, I had my worst performance by miles in any comp. An Adjusted gross of 96, although I blobbed the 13th hole. Having a really long carry, in which a fade is required (I can't play a fade), I decided to have a crack anyway, as I'd nothing to lose (except the ball). Went in pond, did the same thing again, in pond again. Would I do that in Rd 1 of club champs if I still had a bit to play for? Absolutely 100% not. But in Rd 2, why not. Had Rd 2 been a single competition, then I may well have started the round with a completely different mindset, and have a chance of grinding out a decent enough result. Instead, I shot my worst competition score by far (not sure I was in the 90's in any other comp)

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
my last card went in on Jan 7th, but prior to that it was October 1st. Our winter league is 4BBB so no cards have gone in.

If you arent playing in the winter league we have a comp running every sunday, so if the course is appropriate each card will go in.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
In terms of wanting to play and score well, I will have this attitiude every time before I go out. But, if you are comparing every single factor that goes into a players mindset, then I'm sure there will be different mindsets between GP and competition rounds. Absolutely.

But, I could say the same thing about different types of competition. I would say I've a different, more relaxed mindset in a Stableford than I do in a medal. Knowing I can have a car crash and it'll only cost me a nett double bogey (effectively).

Some might play differently in the Club Champs. Some might spend a week practicing that they wouldn't do for most other comps, potentially go out and shoot their best scores if all goes to plan.

I was the other way last year. Round 1 shot a poor 86. In Round 2, with nothing left to play for, I had my worst performance by miles in any comp. An Adjusted gross of 96, although I blobbed the 13th hole. Having a really long carry, in which a fade is required (I can't play a fade), I decided to have a crack anyway, as I'd nothing to lose (except the ball). Went in pond, did the same thing again, in pond again. Would I do that in Rd 1 of club champs if I still had a bit to play for? Absolutely 100% not. But in Rd 2, why not. Had Rd 2 been a single competition, then I may well have started the round with a completely different mindset, and have a chance of grinding out a decent enough result. Instead, I shot my worst competition score by far (not sure I was in the 90's in any other comp)

So you treated round 2 of club champs like a general play round.

Nothing to play for 👀

RichA

Visit site
Everybody is different. One size doesn't have to fit all.
I don't have time to practice, so my social rounds are where I experiment and play unnecessary hero shots. Might get a birdie; might get a triple.
If I recorded these as GP rounds on EG my handicap would rocket and on the odd occasions I play a comp and grind out a sensible score I would feel like a bandit.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I agree that’s what should happen.