WHS General Play and Competition Play

CarterR

Visit site
Thoughts please.

In this world of data, openness, compliance, and fairness, I would be happy if my handicap was published along with supporting data.

Specifically I would like to see:

1/ WHS handicap
2/ Handicap based on General Play scores only
3/ Handicap based on prize competition scores only

If the system works there should be no differences.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thoughts please.

In this world of data, openness, compliance, and fairness, I would be happy if my handicap was published along with supporting data.

1/ WHS handicap

There should be some difference. Most handicaps are probably +/- 1 shot maybe on a given unchanging fundamental level ? If playing level improving or disimproving withing the sampling period, then wider than those two shots. So even if unchanging level, your two measures might be out by a couple of shots, but I would think thats acceptable.

CarterR

Visit site
There should be some difference. Most handicaps are probably +/- 1 shot maybe on a given unchanging fundamental level ? If playing level improving or disimproving withing the sampling period, then wider than those two shots. So even if unchanging level, your two measures might be out by a couple of shots, but I would think thats acceptable.
Pin positions, faster greens might make "prize" golf more difficult so the handicap might be bigger than in GP.

Psychology of risk/reward might affect attitude and thus scores.

I suppose also it would highlight bandits who run up high handicaps via GP. Even then an argument could be made that a real-life bandit has a higher risk appetite than normal so might gamble more when prizes are at stake and so get higher rewards. An example being never up, never in.

I'd just like to see the data, that's all.

D

Deleted member 35504

What practical purpose would this serve in real life, apart from none? It's complicated enough as it is.

D-S

Visit site
Thoughts please.

1/ WHS handicap

If you had access to the WHS portal you could see it. Committees have a report that you can run for the individual or the entire club that shows for any defined period number of comp scores, % of comp scores, ave comp score and number of gp scores, % of gp scores and ave gp score.

CarterR

Visit site
I'd be interested.
If you had access to the WHS portal you could see it. Committees have a report that you can run for the individual or the entire club that shows for any defined period number of comp scores, % of comp scores, ave comp score and number of gp scores, % of gp scores and ave gp score.
Thanks for that.

I was really musing over it on a grand scale rather than considering any individual - other than myself.

I wondered whether I (14 hc) focussed more in competition. It was only after discussing it with pals I realised it might highlight in consistencies if viewed on a grand scale.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd be interested.

Thanks for that.

I was really musing over it on a grand scale rather than considering any individual - other than myself.

I wondered whether I (14 hc) focussed more in competition. It was only after discussing it with pals I realised it might highlight in consistencies if viewed on a grand scale.
Can you put a freedom of information request.?
Anyone who holds data on you must show it to you if you ask !

Might be wrong !
willing to be educated.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Might be wrong !
willing to be educated.
You can ask for your own, but then it's already there for you to see on the EG app, you just need to spend 5 minutes working it out.

You can't ask for anyone else's data so you have a data pool of 1. Not the widest to prove a theory.

CarterR

Visit site
You can ask for your own, but then it's already there for you to see on the EG app, you just need to spend 5 minutes working it out.

You can't ask for anyone else's data so you have a data pool of 1. Not the widest to prove a theory.
You can see other players' data on the app.

I was really just thinking broadly but it might show up where someone consistently scored better when prizes were at stake. Why they scored better is a separate question.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can see other players' data on the app.

I was really just thinking broadly but it might show up where someone consistently scored better when prizes were at stake. Why they scored better is a separate question.
Yes it almost impossible to prove anything is amiss

CarterR

Visit site
Yes it almost impossible to prove anything is amiss
A competition handicap of 5 off and a general play handicap of 15 should raise eyebrows. A difference of a couple of shots wouldn't be an issue.

As I say I'm not trying to suggest this is a bandit finder. I was thinking more about the psychology of play in different formats.

Do general play scores lead to:

1/ lower handicaps (more relaxed)
2/ higher handicaps (too relaxed, banditry?)

Does prize play lead to:

3/ lower handicaps (more focus, simpler course setup)
4/ higher handicaps ('card in hand' syndrome, more difficult course setup)

I was simply thinking about my own concentration.

Just a thought

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A competition handicap of 5 off and a general play handicap of 15 should raise eyebrows. A difference of a couple of shots wouldn't be an issue.

As I say I'm not trying to suggest this is a bandit finder. I was thinking more about the psychology of play in different formats.

Does prize play lead to:

Just a thought
It’s like any examination/ driving test etc.
Some are good at it some go to pieces.

Stress of a card in your hand can do strange things to people!

D

Deleted member 35504

Does prize play lead to:

Just a thought
You'd be better off going out with a massive hangover and just concentrating on survival than thinking of all this nonsense every time you're over the ball. 😅

wjemather

Visit site

Might be wrong !
willing to be educated.
Everyone with a handicap has access to their own data already (and that of all other players in their jurisdiction). What you're actually asking for is the analysis of that data, which is already available to handicap committees.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everyone with a handicap has access to their own data already (and that of all other players in their jurisdiction). What you're actually asking for is the analysis of that data, which is already available to handicap committees.
I think you will find I wasn’t asking for anything
Just chatting

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Pin positions, faster greens might make "prize" golf more difficult so the handicap might be bigger than in GP.

Psychology of risk/reward might affect attitude and thus scores.

I suppose also it would highlight bandits who run up high handicaps via GP. Even then an argument could be made that a real-life bandit has a higher risk appetite than normal so might gamble more when prizes are at stake and so get higher rewards. An example being never up, never in.

I'd just like to see the data, that's all.
The bit in bold. In my experience this is only the case for board comps.

My current and previous clubs set the course up pretty much the same every day and only put the tees right back and pins in their hardest positions for things like the club championships.

I think it’s already been said, and I have said many times. The only difference between a general play round and a competition round is in someone’s head.