England Golf General Play Restrictions

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tell.me how that scenario differs drom the supplementary score of the previous system other than CAT 1 golfers couldn't do it?

It doesn't.

Golf is a game if trust. I submitted way more GP's than medal/competition rounds last year. That's just down to my work life balance not down to wanting to manipulate anything. It's not a personal choice either it's pure and simple down to how many Saturday competitions and midweek competitions that I can enter due to work.

WHS on the whole (for me) is an excellent system.

I guess the crux of this whole debate is that it won't affect choppers like me and the vast majority on here. I only enter Open competitions when I can so I doubt a local club will ballot me out.
I'm guessing though as it's your work life restriction that stops you playing weekend comps, you would be able to put that to organiser's if you wanted to enter elite comps. I havnt seen what EG are doing but the Irish thing I thing said.."could"

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its not nonsense though is it, I could achieve a + handicap within 2 weeks if I fancied it.

Just submit GP scores ive totally made up and get my best mate to approve them on the app.

Bosh, plus handicapper, opens here I come.
Not quite correct as there are only a maximum of 4 Comps that would be applicable. These are ELITE comps. This is taken from the guidance and in your hypothetical example of 2 weeks it would not work, see below

When a particular championship has too many entries and a ballot is needed, players who have more than four general play scores in their most recent 20 will be assessed to look at the difference between their “Competition Score differential and the General Play differential”.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The same principal applies to any (qualifying) club stableford or medal. The only difference being the token entry fee.

How can it with a drawn comp?

We cant enter any comps with chosen PP's at my club (bar team/ pairs events - but the other pairing will be randomly selected)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
There is not a single Gen Play score on my app. Two comps a week at Newport. Plenty of opportunity if you need it. Everything else is social 4BBB for the beer!

First comp of the year is at Saunton two weeks tomorrow. I haven't touched a club since Boxing Day... not expecting the score to end up counting!

My previous club only had two comps a month. I would expect a higher degree of Gen Play cards from those circumstances... there are two sides to this issue! :)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not quite correct as there are only a maximum of 4 Comps that would be applicable. These are ELITE comps. This is taken from the guidance and in your hypothetical example of 2 weeks it would not work, see below

When a particular championship has too many entries and a ballot is needed, players who have more than four general play scores in their most recent 20 will be assessed to look at the difference between their “Competition Score differential and the General Play differential”.

But its possible for me to achieve a plus handicap - which was the real point I was making.

I totally agree with the new system blocking people whos handicaps are mostly GP scores - in elite comps.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But its possible for me to achieve a plus handicap - which was the real point I was making.

I totally agree with the new system blocking people whos handicaps are mostly GP scores - in elite comps.
Agree but your +2 handicap when you are off 11 will be an embarrassment.
Personally I think you should concentrate on Your Matchplay. Now that was an excellent read and am looking forward to the next instalment this year. Hope you reach the Final:ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
Personally I think you should concentrate on Your Matchplay. Now that was an excellent read and am looking forward to the next instalment this year. Hope you reach the Final:ROFLMAO:
Some people have no shame. Some just want a really really low handicap so they can boast about it, others want it to play in elite competitions, and they are not embarrassed if they post a bad score (after all, even a genuine + handicapper can post the odd terrible score, so they may just convince themselves they are having a bad day at the office)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

"Elite" for now....are they implying that handicap manipulation only happens for Plus handicappers or that it only matters for Plus handicappers.?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Some people have no shame. Some just want a really really low handicap so they can boast about it, others want it to play in elite competitions, and they are not embarrassed if they post a bad score (after all, even a genuine + handicapper can post the odd terrible score, so they may just convince themselves they are having a bad day at the office)

You know this is all hypothetical right... I'm proudly just working my way down with hard graft like the vast majority

I'm just pointing out how easily it could be done and why EG are bringing this in...

Side note - Im back in both the pairs and singles for 2023 - need all the shots I can get! 2023 trophy pic incoming :ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
You know this is all hypothetical right... I'm proudly just working my way down with hard graft like the vast majority

I'm just pointing out how easily it could be done and why EG are bringing this in...

Side note - Im back in both the pairs and singles for 2023 - need all the shots I can get! 2023 trophy pic incoming :ROFLMAO:
I know you were giving a hypothetical situation regarding yourself, but aimed at reflecting actual situations for some other golfers out there

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Fi know it was said tongue in cheek!You really need to concentrate on your reporting skills!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Exactly! I think they should just disallow golf club members from the function of the app scoring and force them to sign in/ out via the pro shop.

That way at least the pro knows you've been out for a round and someone (a PP) can attest to the score. Fair enough, you can still fudge it but I think less would if they had to hand a card to the pro after.
Not everywhere has a pro-shop

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Outside of formal competitions the norm at my club is 4BBB. So anyone submitting a GP score is usually part of a 4BBB match and I wondered if this is OK under WHS. We’ve had hundreds ,perhaps thousands, of GP cards submitted under these circumstances.
If you're out for a bounce game and submitting a card, then you hole out everything and there's no issue at all, whatever side bet/match you're having is irrelevant.

An official 4BBB match is a different thing entirely, because then you're having gimmes and tactics regarding sometimes playing out of turn with your partner for example as an aid.

Swango1980

Visit site
Do they not track the people coming and going then?
My last club didn't have a pro shop. Green Fee players just paid at reception, where you would have the Owner or a member of staff who would serve them, in between working in the public bar / restaurant.

I can guarantee with 100% conviction that none of them would be taking notes on golfers going out to play General Play rounds. They wouldn't care two hoots. Most of them know nothing about golf (including the owner), and they are simply there to take in money, serve food and drink and when they have time, do a bit of general cleaning. If the Committee asked if he or his staff could do this, you wouldn't just get a No, you'd probably a punch in the face for daring to ask :)

D-S

Visit site
If you're out for a bounce game and submitting a card, then you hole out everything and there's no issue at all, whatever side bet/match you're having is irrelevant.

An official 4BBB match is a different thing entirely, because then you're having gimmes and tactics regarding sometimes playing out of turn with your partner for example as an aid.
England Golf require this in bold below for it to be an acceptable score for handicapping;-
In an authorised format of play (individual formats only) over a minimum number of holes.