Dress codes

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
It’s all about respect…and respect for standards of dress requested is just a point on the respect spectrum. If some golfers don’t give a monkeys for a dress code and feel entitled to do whatever they want, then we can hardly moan about youth and adults of today not displaying respect to such as teachers and doctors.

One of the reasons my wife was keen for my 11 yr old lad to start playing golf (20yrs ago) was that she recognised that it would teach him the meaning of respect outside of home and school contexts.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
While many of us will just comply, change is inevitable. Sometimes change will come about through a formal stated route (written submissions for an AGM etc) and sometimes it’ll be kicked off by peaceful dissention and/or non-compliance due to the discord

Providing the dissent doesn’t take the form of causing anyone physical or emotional harm then its kinda one of the things we’re allowed to do aren’t we? Afterall we’re talking about ppl breaching a dress code, not breaking a law of the land

That non-compliance may carry a penalty/sanction, the risk of which those involved need to be prepared to accept
(but we play a game where the risk of penalty is ever present for every single shot we take, so as a section of society we're well equipped to deal with that possible outcome)

Change does not only happen through formal channels

Albo

Visit site
It’s all about respect…and respect for standards of dress requested is just a point on the respect spectrum. If some golfers don’t give a monkeys for a dress code and feel entitled to do whatever they want, then we can hardly moan about youth and adults of today not displaying respect to such as teachers and doctors.

One of the reasons my wife was keen for my 11 yr old lad to start playing golf (20yrs ago) was that she recognised that it would teach him the meaning of respect outside of home and school contexts.
Where as I would rather my son be confident enough to stand up and respectfully challenge something he feels isn’t right.
Things change, life changes thing are not the same today as they once were.
Many years ago I was a member of a work golf society, we were visiting a golf club and had a lovely day, afterwards we went for a meal in their dining room, all sat down to eat when one of the old guard from the club came into the room and spoke with the guy who was head of our society to politely tell him that the single female member of our society was not allowed in that room as it was a male only room and asked for her to leave the room saying she could sit alone in a separate room. It was a rule, do you think we as a society should have just nodded and agreed that rules are rules and let her go sit alone in the other room? Did you really want your son to lean to have respect for rules that don’t deserve to be respected, just because they are written down?
I know what I’d rather

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

It’s a huge leap from someone not wanting to tuck their shirt in, to not displaying respect for teachers and doctors! And should we not be respectful of everyone who is well behaved.

It might be a generational thing. But, sweeping generalisations about one generation or another do not go well.

At some point your generation must have decided that wearing a tweed suit with a shirt and tie was not appropriate golf attire!

D-S

Visit site
A genuine question (for context, I am always a shirt tucked in person but wouldn’t prevent others playing sport who don’t do as I do) - how come an untucked shirt is scruffy and unacceptable on the golf course but acceptable as part of a ‘smart casual’ dress code when a shirt is untucked with trousers indoors. What is the difference?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Several years back, when I was a committee member there was discussion as to why the functions were attended by the older age groups in the main. I said that it was, in my opinion, due to the archaic dress code and that when they had live music that the requirement for men to wear their shirts tucked in was out dated, given that most men up to 40 years of age had probably never ever tucked their shirts in when out socially. It still took a long time but eventually a very much more relaxed dress code was introduced, including the wearing of jeans and trainers.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I managed municipal golf courses for many years.
Our dress code consisted of one short sentence.

'Golfers are asked to wear clothing and shoes suitable for the sport'

Never really had much of a problem with that over 20+ years

Mind you, in the late 1990's a young lad turned up to play in a multi coloured summer shirt and shorts combo.
The Pro asked me if I was Ok with that.
I said yeah, thought it was quite smart actually
He agreed.

He went on to wear County, England, Walker Cup and Ryder Cup dress codes.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A genuine question (for context, I am always a shirt tucked in person but wouldn’t prevent others playing sport who don’t do as I do) - how come an untucked shirt is scruffy and unacceptable on the golf course but acceptable as part of a ‘smart casual’ dress code when a shirt is untucked with trousers indoors. What is the difference?
Builders bum when they bend down to pick up their ball! :ROFLMAO:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Humans and their differing standards

I don’t personally think it’s “scruffy” - a lot of tops are made to be “untucked” but i personally when playing have it tucked it , that’s just a preference regardless of what the rule is

Whilst we all having different standards it’s always worth remembering that those differing standards will be reflected in what a club wants people to wear and for me the basic point is when visiting a club you adhere to their standards even if they don’t fit yours

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where as I would rather my son be confident enough to stand up and respectfully challenge something he feels isn’t right.
Things change, life changes thing are not the same today as they once were.
Many years ago I was a member of a work golf society, we were visiting a golf club and had a lovely day, afterwards we went for a meal in their dining room, all sat down to eat when one of the old guard from the club came into the room and spoke with the guy who was head of our society to politely tell him that the single female member of our society was not allowed in that room as it was a male only room and asked for her to leave the room saying she could sit alone in a separate room. It was a rule, do you think we as a society should have just nodded and agreed that rules are rules and let her go sit alone in the other room? Did you really want your son to lean to have respect for rules that don’t deserve to be respected, just because they are written down?
I know what I’d rather
What was the outcome ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just musing, if Rory or Scottie or another famous golf pro turns up at your club with their shirt untucked and asked to play there’s not a cat in hells chance they get turned away due to some archaic policy.

Bobthesock

Visit site
We all went and sat in the room with her.
We never returned to the club as a society
And most sadly of all she never returned to the society again after that day as she was embarrassed/felt she had put everyone out and caused a fuss.
She was putting everyone out by being there In the first place. Playing from different tees, not getting the ball more than 20 feet in the air.
Of course ladies should be welcome at all courses but it dosnt mean I want to play with them

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Just musing, if Rory or Scottie or another famous golf pro turns up at your club with their shirt untucked and asked to play there’s not a cat in hells chance they get turned away due to some archaic policy.
Like when they played practice rounds at RSG before the open?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
We all went and sat in the room with her.
We never returned to the club as a society
And most sadly of all she never returned to the society again after that day as she was embarrassed/felt she had put everyone out and caused a fuss.

Did the society speak to the course before hand to ensure there would be no issues ?