Dress codes

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One thing I would say about the above scenario is that Albo did say it happened many years ago. This does not make it more acceptable but in my experience casual sexism of this sort is far less common in golf clubs than it previously was.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
One thing I would say about the above scenario is that Albo did say it happened many years ago. This does not make it more acceptable but in my experience casual sexism of this sort is far less common in golf clubs than it previously was.
We have witnessed multiple times poor discriminatory rules within some golf clubs and that includes blatent sexism

It wasn’t that ago there there plenty of clubs that didn’t allow women members or women visitors

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure there is any mask if you look at his profile.

That’s not what I meant. Last time he left for a few months he came back all nicey nicey for a week or so then bang, back to form and being someone I had to put on ignore so I could enjoy the forum better. I’m expecting the same this time around 👍

Swango1980

Visit site
Seriously? You think that is a genuine question that needs asking? Struggling to get my head around that one.
Backache makes a good point, the poster said this was many years ago.

I'm sure a lot of you grew up a few years before me, but I was a kid in the 80's and 90's. My grandparents were members of a golf club in Northern Ireland. The bar was effectively split into two, creating a separate room in the far end. This area was strictly Men Only. There was also a snooker room just before you got to the changing rooms. Again, only Men were allowed in the snooker room.

The above seems absolutely ridiculous and shocking to me now, and I wouldn't dream of thinking I'd walk into a golf club today that has similar guidelines. But, going back to the 80's and before, I wouldn't be surprised this was extremely common at many clubs? In fact, did many clubs not ban women from playing and/or being members completely? In that case, and depending how long ago Albo is talking about, I suspect bringing a woman along to the golf club might mean this is the first question that was asked. Is this allowed? As horrific as that sounds.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Backache makes a good point, the poster said this was many years ago.

I'm sure a lot of you grew up a few years before me, but I was a kid in the 80's and 90's. My grandparents were members of a golf club in Northern Ireland. The bar was effectively split into two, creating a separate room in the far end. This area was strictly Men Only. There was also a snooker room just before you got to the changing rooms. Again, only Men were allowed in the snooker room.

The above seems absolutely ridiculous and shocking to me now, and I wouldn't dream of thinking I'd walk into a golf club today that has similar guidelines. But, going back to the 80's and before, I wouldn't be surprised this was extremely common at many clubs? In fact, did many clubs not ban women from playing and/or being members completely? In that case, and depending how long ago Albo is talking about, I suspect bringing a woman along to the golf club might mean this is the first question that was asked. Is this allowed? As horrific as that sounds.

You shouldn't have to call a club to ask "is this still the 1950s or do you treat women with respect "

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You shouldn't have to call a club to ask "is this still the 1950s or do you treat women with respect "
My impression is that the decade when it actually started to change was the 90's when in order to access funding available to sports clubs, clubs had to treat men and women on an equal basis.
Not all clubs immediately followed this route but many did and the social attitudes probably followed.