Discuss

wjemather

Visit site
Looks like Steve's had a great round. Well done to him. Likewise the rest of them with 40+ points.

That Robert guy off 12 I bet he was annoyed .. but not as annoyed as David in 4th
The guy off 12 has only just about played to his handicap, so doesn't really have any cause for annoyance.

CR = 68.5, Slope = 117, Par = 71 (with several par 4s under 300 yards, and 2 par 5s barely 450).

Last edited:

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Young lad in one of our County junior events last month shot 84 - 29 = net 55. The week before he had a net 59 off 33, winning by 1 from a net 60 off 28.

Visit site
Young lad in one of our County junior events last month shot 84 - 29 = net 55. The week before he had a net 59 off 33, winning by 1 from a net 60 off 28.

I once led out the team in a club match away in the county knockout tournament… Lowest handicappers first…
So on the first tee, I shake hands with what is essentially a young child, expecting to wipe the floor with him as he declared he was off 3, meaning I was being given 2-3 shots, despite his home course advantage.

He smoked a draw about 275 off the first tee whilst I went into the trees, and he started birdie birdie par birdie and shot 4 under through 14, beating me 6&4.

Afterwards in the clubhouse I found the results for the prior comp. He had won, with -3 gross… ? he had only been playing about 18 months but basically his handicap couldn’t get close to his actual ability.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Needs to have a bit more detail to make a real comment.
a. Is the winner a new golfer who is improving or a serial winner?
b. How many GP cards does he submit or is he just a comp player?

We can’t judge if he is a player who had a good round early in his golf career or if he is a bandit and it is a bit unfair of the OP to try and lead us down a particular path

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The winner clearly had “one of those days” if you look at his other recent results. Two returns of 24 points in recent weeks doesn’t suggest anything amiss, really.

If the OP wanted to promote genuine discussion it’s only fair to have some context. I’d also add that winning scores in the high 40’s are not uncommon at that club.

Nothing to see here. Move along now.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Looks like good scoring conditions with all the high scores to be fair and high handicappers have the chance of doing that time to time.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surely if they have the potential to score 14 shots better than their hcp they shouldn't be off 27?

Hcp comps are meant to level the playing field. I have no chance of scoring 50 points (9 under par!).

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Surely if they have the potential to score 14 shots better than their hcp they shouldn't be off 27?

Hcp comps are meant to level the playing field. I have no chance of scoring 50 points (9 under par!).

But he plays regular competitions and therefore submits cards. Hardly bandit territory, despite the suggestion.

If you look at HDID he is now off 22, so it appears his handicap committee have applied an additional reduction for an exceptional score. What else would you have them do?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But he plays regular competitions and therefore submits cards. Hardly bandit territory, despite the suggestion.

If you look at HDID he is now off 22, so it appears his handicap committee have applied an additional reduction for an exceptional score. What else would you have them do?

Good work by the hcp committee. He'll only be able to score 45 points now. ?