Jacket & Tie

Would you join a club that required jacket and tie to enjoy the clubhouse?

• Yes

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 65 78.3%

• Total voters

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a mandatory requirement at all times then no, wouldn't be interested. In certain areas or at certain times then I am not so bothered. I think in this day and age the expectation to dress in jacket and tie is outdated and unnecessary when you look at the likes of the PM without a tie, presentation parties after major events dressed similarly. Doesn't really send any message apart from snobbery and exclusivity to me

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not intending to hijack the thread just expand on the topic......

If we were to play at such a club that insisted on jacket and tie throughout (out-with the course & changing room) I wonder what we’d see or expect in return? From the course, the clubhouse and the club in general?

Is it table linen, crystal, silverware and a la carte lunches
Are all staff dressed & uniformed as formally as we are (black trousers/skirt and white shirt isn’t gonna cut it is it)
Are we greeted formally as Mr/Mrs xxxxx or at least as sir/madam (how do you feel about that)
What’s the building and décor like (can you imagine your current clubhouse having this dress code)
What expectations would we have of the other members
Can you get a tee-time?
Are there visitors/societies
etc

Would you still want to be a member?

Morfeen75

Visit site
When i choose a club to join i base it solely on the standard of golf course. Everything else doesnt really bother me.

I will however respect the traditions of all clubs, either as a member or visitor, and will dress accordngly to their rules. Their dress codes would not stop me from joining or playing.

This poll is meaningless.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When i choose a club to join i base it solely on the standard of golf course. Everything else doesnt really bother me.

I will however respect the traditions of all clubs, either as a member or visitor, and will dress accordngly to their rules. Their dress codes would not stop me from joining or playing.

This poll is meaningless.
Well....it's not meaningless because you've replied and answered the question.... :unsure:

Visit site
Have always been happy to accept whatever rules a club has in place.

Rye? Get your jacket and tie on, but you’re having the best lunch there is. You don’t need a jacket and tie in their bar.

Swinley Forest? I asked about the need for smart shoes in the bar and they laughed, golf shoes and golf clothes are fine unless you’re in their dining room.

Royal County Down? Relaxed as long as you don’t go into the members bar, which requires jacket and tie.

Woking, The Berkshire, St Enodoc etc had relaxed dress codes but I would assume lunch is the same as the others, jacket and tie!

Perhaps it’s a misconception about golf clubs, they’re just not that bad/silly in my experience. The problem comes if you are deemed to be disrespectful, ignorant, or acting in spite of their rules.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As I kind alluded to above. The reality of being a member of such a club would for me be quite surreal. The J&T level of dress code doesn’t come in isolation. It stands to reason (all) other aspects will mirror the same levels of formality (otherwise what’s the point?)

I visit the clubhouse 3-4 times a week, for a round of golf, practice sessions or sometimes just to hang out) and I’d want to keep doing that, so even this morning’s simple activity of 90mins practice takes on a different scale when I change into J&T to grab a coffee/shoot the breeze etc for 15 mins afterwards before going to work (not in J&T)

It’s a whole other level of interaction with your golf club, dare I say it, it may even make the place inhospitable!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are people on here for whom golf is about having a few hours chilled out leisure time playing sport with pals. Sometimes it might be followed by a chilled out shandy or hot chocolate.
Even if I felt inclined to dress more smartly to drink hot chocolate at a sports club than I do for work or weddings, I don't have the time to tit about showering and changing first. And I'd only have to change back into shorts and t-shirt again afterwards to do the Tesco shop on the way home.

This is very much me, I played golf to relax. If i want a beer afterwards or a coffee, I want to relax wearing what I feel comfortable in. I wear a suit and tie all week, no way is anything formal coming out every weekend. If I really wanted to join such a club I would be sauntering off to the nearest pub post round rather than the clubhouse.