Jacket & Tie

Would you join a club that required jacket and tie to enjoy the clubhouse?

• Yes

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 65 78.3%

• Total voters

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Don’t think there is a club where you must wear jacket and tie at all times

But wouldn’t have any issues joining a club that asked for jacket and tie after a certain time or in a certain bar as long as the course was worth it

HPIMG

Visit site
I wanted to join a club that had this rule maybe 2 years ago. It was a beautiful course and I loved playing the course but no way was I joining with that rule. I like to turn up in my golf gear, don’t mind changing shoes in a locker room but not wearing a jacket and tie to go anywhere.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I don’t play representative matches for my club at any venue which requires me to wear a jacket and tie afterwards, the same goes for society days - if there’s a jacket and tie dress code I won’t bother.

So I certainly wouldn’t join anywhere which requires it. I simply cannot be doing with the hassle, especially on a hot summer’s day.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Club near me, you have to dress like that to enter the bar/lounge except for before 10am.
That’s not Muirfield btw.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, they actually have a very small spike bar,, where there is not a dress requirement.

Anyway my answer was yes I would join if the course was good enough. Though I wouldn't regard it as an attraction.

I don't normally wear a jacket and tie, but if I was a member and could keep it in the locker it's hardly too onerous if the golf is worthwhile which is fundamentally why I join a golf club.

3 jabber

Visit site
Don't worry guys, it's a fictional club made up to provoke arguments on here. Bit like should you buy everyone a drink when you get a hole in one ;)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, some of you would not accept an invitation to join an Augusta or Swinley (etc) if they had that dress requirement???

Flipping heck!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Good old Swindley... when I visited there was no reserved parking for your various Club officials. They now have a Website & it says that members are encouraged to dress 'smartly' & that for gentlemen, jackets are required in the upstairs dining room. Yes, I think I could find some kind of jacket to comply with, as it's my 'Rest of my life Dream course'....... won't happen of course, but never mind.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Absolutely not
No way.
Our club was really stuffy about jackets & ties post match, until they started to struggle to get players interested in playing matches because of it.
So they relaxed the dress code to smart casual post match.
Now they are always over subscribed with players wanting to play matches.
The old guard frown upon it, but the new generation coming through want a less formal dress code.
The new generation will win the day, because without them, there will be no matches.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I don’t play representative matches for my club at any venue which requires me to wear a jacket and tie afterwards, the same goes for society days - if there’s a jacket and tie dress code I won’t bother.

So I certainly wouldn’t join anywhere which requires it. I simply cannot be doing with the hassle, especially on a hot summer’s day.
I could have written this - thanks for saving me the bother!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it's the one I'm thinking of, they actually have a very small spike bar,, where there is not a dress requirement.

Anyway my answer was yes I would join if the course was good enough. Though I wouldn't regard it as an attraction.

I don't normally wear a jacket and tie, but if I was a member and could keep it in the locker it's hardly too onerous if the golf is worthwhile which is fundamentally why I join a golf club.
It’s more of a cupboard though, let’s be honest.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Post 23 could've been mine (y). I remember back in the 70s we had to wait till the captain said gents you may now remove your jackets.
At another club one of our group wasn't allowed to eat along with the other 23 visitors in the dining room because he forgot to bring a jacket.

We had this in the 90's at Wortley just north of Sheffield. Annual family society day, it had rained heavily all day, got changed for dinner as we all did back then, sun came out and was blazing through the dining room windows, humidity through the roof after all the rain. Few of us took our jackets off and the steward came in and asked us to put them back on while he rang Mr Captain at home to request we be allowed to take them off. What a load of absolute 🐂 :poop: :LOL:
Mr Captain said yes of course, but that moment of the stupidity of golf traditions will stay with me forever.

Course was fantastic though - but I've never been back since.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Post 23 could've been mine (y). I remember back in the 70s we had to wait till the captain said gents you may now remove your jackets.
At another club one of our group wasn't allowed to eat along with the other 23 visitors in the dining room because he forgot to bring a jacket.

If it was genuine and it was a one off, I’d strongly oppose politely and leave. If however he’d done it solely to be “ that guy “ then it’s a different matter.

Back in the topic. For functions yes, for dorcific ares of the clubhouse maybe, but for all clubhouse access absolutely not.