Discuss

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played with a couple of guys at work, who don't play any other time apart from once a year. They wouldn't be able to.play anywhere near a 54 handicap. If they practiced, maybe one day they could. Maybe. But never to 32. Their swings are awful. Like us (who ate right handed) but trying to play left handed, and even worse than that. Their bodies do not move in any way close to how they should in a golf swing.
But this is not the same scenario, this is someone playing regularly and capable of fairly regularly driving 170 yds and being equal on approaches to a 15 handicapper.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
One of the guys I played against yesterday made an interesting point. The old system was a reflexion of your best golf, where as the new one is perhaps one of your average scores, so more chance shooting a lower score than your average. FYI this is a guy who as long as I've known him was off 12, now 16, so not a low guy just moaning☺

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of the guys I played against yesterday made an interesting point. The old system was a reflexion of your best golf, where as the new one is perhaps one of your average scores, so more chance shooting a lower score than your average. FYI this is a guy who as long as I've known him was off 12, now 16, so not a low guy just moaning☺

Not quite average as it considers only your BEST 8 scores out of 20.
So still a reflection of your better golf.

Swango1980

Visit site
But this is not the same scenario, this is someone playing regularly and capable of fairly regularly driving 170 yds and being equal on approaches to a 15 handicapper.
My point was, they could play every single day, no chance they'd get a 28 handicap. I think one of them had a best score of 149 (worst 168) on a course with course rating of 66.8. And, we allowed them to ignore air shots and fairly relaxed on some of the rules, like dropping the other side of a pond if they go in, rather than losing about 15 Pinnacles

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My point was, they could play every single day, no chance they'd get a 28 handicap. I think one of them had a best score of 149 (worst 168) on a course with course rating of 66.8. And, we allowed them to ignore air shots and fairly relaxed on some of the rules, like dropping the other side of a pond if they go in, rather than losing about 15 Pinnacles

How long does it take these people to get round a course?

Swango1980

Visit site
How long does it take these people to get round a course?
Glad you asked. First time I played with them we started at 1.30pm. We finished just before 9pm. Seriously. And I shot a 72. We had a 4 ball, one of them shot 162 and the other 168 (the 3rd guy was OK, about a high teens handicap).

We let a lot of groups through, needless to say.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Glad you asked. First time I played with them we started at 1.30pm. We finished just before 9pm. Seriously. And I shot a 72. We had a 4 ball, one of them shot 162 and the other 168 (the 3rd guy was OK, about a high teens handicap).

Sounds like a medal at ours off the back blocks when the wind is up.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

?‍♂️

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I know it's not WHS fault here, rather the 54 handicap limit, but our last place finisher yesterday was +24 nett, off a 43 handicap. Two pars at our very short par 3s, one double bogey, the rest triples or worse

I'm sorry, but men shouldn't be encouraged to play in competitions when they are that bad