Discuss

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Good work by the hcp committee. He'll only be able to score 45 points now. ?
Did you not read my earlier post?

In recent weeks this player has scored 24 points. Twice. So he is as capable of a shocker as he is a good round. More so, it seems. What would satisfy you? A 10 shot reduction? 15?

There’s a reason we submit three cards for handicap. It’s so our ability can be considered in context. Give it a try.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually about 12 better (note: 36 points is not playing to handicap).

Amazing how this point is simply missed

Maybe, just maybe...the golfer is improving. Maybe they didn;t hit driver as they realised they can't control it. With such a short course, maybe they just hit 5i off the tee and then got it on from there, making a load of pars. Would love to see a hole by hole breakdown of score....trying to find the comp on HDID, and so far, this result doesn't seem to exist

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Amazing how this point is simply missed

Maybe, just maybe...the golfer is improving. Maybe they didn;t hit driver as they realised they can't control it. With such a short course, maybe they just hit 5i off the tee and then got it on from there, making a load of pars. Would love to see a hole by hole breakdown of score....trying to find the comp on HDID, and so far, this result doesn't seem to exist

I played Wednesday, front 9 I hit 21 points.. second half the wind picked up. 3 putted 2 of the first greens then blobbed 2 holes as I lost balls due to the gusts blowing them off path .. finished with a disappointing 32 points when it could easily have been 7-10 points more and crys of bandit would reign

Like others say people have good days and bad

wjemather

Visit site
The guys handicap record points to nothing but a genuine handicap, and just a very good day.

They've had similar scores in the past, but not since 2018 (about 45 scores ago - all comps), and the only score differential since that time that is within 8 of yesterday's is from a year ago (as posted by Voyager EMH above) and that was still 5 higher.

wjemather

Visit site
Also, just read on Twitter (from the club's head pro) that the guy used to be single figures before losing the use of most of his left side in a car accident, and having other health issues.

Last edited:

AliMc

Visit site
Surely if they have the potential to score 14 shots better than their hcp they shouldn't be off 27?

Hcp comps are meant to level the playing field. I have no chance of scoring 50 points (9 under par!).
Thing is Ken we can take comfort from the fact that no one is going to have that sort of points in the (thankfully few) stablefords that we have at Dunbar, I had a quick look back through the last few years and they are won with 38 to 42 points, the higher points ones tend to be the seniors which as we know are off the yellows

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking at the scoring records of al the players in the original screen shot it can be seen that every one of the top 8 have had an exceptional day....they all have fully developed handicap records with the vast majority of their scores coming in competitions. In fact it is the lowest handicapped guy in 8th place who has most (six) general play scores counting towards his best 8. The top four have all shot high 70's/low 80's rounds when they would more typically be scoring in the mid/high 80s to high 90's...except for the winner who typically shoots 100+.

Quite simply they have all had a great day in the sun (I assume the weather was good!!)....let them get on an enjoy themselves. No banditry here. No WHS failings.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't find the right example but Harold Varner III at Masters had consecutive rounds of 80 & 69 so 11 shot difference, following week at Heritage 72 & 63 for 9 shot difference and they won't be the most extreme examples.

Variance happens in pro golf practicing daily, it's going to be significantly worse in amateur golf come off the back of nights out, periods not playing, confidence etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also, just read on Twitter (from the club's head pro) that the guy used to be single figures before losing the use of most of his left side in a car accident, and having other health issues.
This is why we shouldn't judge anyone for having a worldy score. You never know what's going on behind the scenes. I wonder if Steve Whillance knows he's internet semi-famous today?

My go-to these days is to blame WHS rather than the player anyway. :p

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per others with 38 players in the comp we would be running at least 2 divisions.

Where I pay it is fairly normal for points in Div 3 to be be much better than Div 1 in a stableford comp

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm happy he's had a great day and still playing golf but at the same time, should he be a 27? Your handicap should never allow you to be net 14 under par on your best day imho.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I'm happy he's had a great day and still playing golf but at the same time, should he be a 27? Your handicap should never allow you to be net 14 under par on your best day imho.

But by the same token is it really fair to slash him to such an extent that he can only compete once in the bluest of blue moons, just because he’s had one of those days? That would make for a miserable experience for him.

That’s why we have the WHS, and in the main it is doing a pretty good job in maintaining accurate handicaps IF, and it’s a big if, players submit regular cards.

This fella clearly does so I’m not really sure why this debate has reached nearly three pages.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But by the same token is it really fair to slash him to such an extent that he can only compete once in the bluest of blue moons, just because he’s had one of those days? That would make for a miserable experience for him.

That’s why we have the WHS, and in the main it is doing a pretty good job in maintaining accurate handicaps IF, and it’s a big if, players submit regular cards.

This fella clearly does so I’m not really sure why this debate has reached nearly three pages.
I don't really agree, I think if you've shot 80 for example, then you're capable of shooting 80 and there's nothing to say you won't do it again in the future. If you do never do it again then your handicap will come back down. Obviously in the old system he'd have been cut about 5 shots for this round which I think is fair enough for such a big leap forward in scoring. In WHS though he almost certainly won't be cut anywhere near that much, and thus even a slightly worse round next time will produce a huge points total.