Christmas Random Irritations

Red devil

Visit site
We're the same and have no kids. Both my parents are dead. The in-laws live close by but the M-I-L is fed through a peg so can't enjoy the meal (or any meal actually) so we take a dinner to the F-I-L for Christmas night and do the pressies. Other than that Christmas day is the wife and myself so no pressure on getting up, having dinner at a set time or worrying about going anywhere or anyone coming. We do our own thing and perfectly happy in each others company
Good lad. We found ourselves on our own one Xmas. Loved it

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Sadly my wife and I could not have kids and as such we have been expected to be part of everyone else plans and have rarely had the chance to develop a Christmas that we can call our own. Does not help that my wife's mum lives nearly 3 hours away and her dad nearly 6 hours away and so dropping in is not an option

Our kids have long since flown the nest, and us being in Spain means it’s easy to have a quiet Christmas. We’ve had plenty of invites but prefer to stay at home. Traditional turkey lunch then fall asleep in front of the TV.

We do even less at New Year. No staying up till midnight, no partying… it just isn’t our thing.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Having to buy presents for aunties, uncles, cousins. Have no clue what they want so I just send them some generic alcohol and chocolate combo. In return I get some item where they've tried to be 'thoughtful' and come up with something I will never use/wear in my life.

My wife insisting the Christmas tree can go where it was the last few years, despite the fact we now have a baby swing chair and playpen down that end and there's just no way it can all fit together without blocking view of the TV completely. Because of this ongoing disagreement we have still not yet put the tree up.

You get rinsed!

I buy for:

Mum
Dad
Sisters kids (me and my sister decided many years ago to stop buying £30 presents for each other that we both don't really want)
Wife
Son

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Totally agree with this. I am fed up walking around trying to buy presents that people don't need purely because it's Christmas. I just ask myself what's the point. If I had my way it would be, enjoy Christmas but for goodness sake, let's forget the present buying for grown-ups.
In general I agree…other perhaps I’d suggest than for those who have little disposable income and for whom a nice gift at Christmas is always so very welcome and appreciated.

It’s so easy when relatively well off to forget those who have little or much less than we do. I never bought my brother anything, but me and my Mrs especially put much thought, time and care into buying a Christmas present for my dear sister now departed.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And on the point of the thread.

Most of the responses to the opener, as they highlight perfectly that many seem, more likely choose, to completely miss or ignore the real point of Christmas and as a result end up focussing on the negative stuff that can make it stressful with little on the positive side of the ledger that can make Christmas Day a joyous and lovely day, a day that we can take hope from as we look forward together, or even by ourselves, with and for our family and friends.

And so wishing all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 👍

D-S

Visit site
And on the point of the thread.

Most of the responses to the opener, as they highlight perfectly that many seem, more likely choose, to completely miss or ignore the real point of Christmas and as a result end up focussing on the negative stuff that can make it stressful with little on the positive side of the ledger that can make Christmas Day a joyous and lovely day, a day that we can take hope from as we look forward together, or even by ourselves, with and for our family and friends.

And so wishing all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 👍
Isn’t the ‘real point of Christmas’ to celebrate the fact that the days are getting longer?
Admittedly this has been hijacked over the years by religion, the Victorians (although it was really Washington Irvine in the USA who ‘invented’ the sentimental Christmas according to QI last night), commerce, the broadcasters, Supermarkets, perfumes, etc. etc.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Isn’t the ‘real point of Christmas’ to celebrate the fact that the days are getting longer?
Admittedly this has been hijacked over the years by religion, the Victorians (although it was really Washington Irvine in the USA who ‘invented’ the sentimental Christmas according to QI last night), commerce, the broadcasters, Supermarkets, perfumes, etc. etc.
I thought it was Santa's birthday and he celebrates it by giving everyone else presents.

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Xmas presents. I wish my family would just give up on them. We are all in our 50s now at least and if we want something, we buy it. This results in the annual struggle of trying to find something that my relatives want that is withing a reasonable price bracket (one of my relatives has ridiculously expensive tastes and so finding here anything at less than a few hundred quid is next to impossible).

By all means keep buying for the younger members of the family but it is time us adults gave it up.
Omg noooooooooo. What would be left. Just a huge dinner.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You get rinsed!

I buy for:

Mum
Dad
Sisters kids (me and my sister decided many years ago to stop buying £30 presents for each other that we both don't really want)
Wife
Son

We tried to get secret Santa going with my mum's side (only one aunt with 2 cousins) but they were against it.. aunt got all offended that we don't have to buy for her and she wants to buy for us etc

Such a shame .. could have just bung a £50 present out per person saved a bit of cash and improved quality at the same time lol

Remember growing up on my dad's side he has 6 sisters .. they used to get us £5 vouchers each. Lovely very kind. However did one bugger talk to each other? £5 Woolworths, £5 hmv £5 Argos .. etc

They were dead against cash "it's rude" but none of them thought to go right let's all go Argos this year 🤣