Christmas Random Irritations

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Xmas presents. I wish my family would just give up on them. We are all in our 50s now at least and if we want something, we buy it. This results in the annual struggle of trying to find something that my relatives want that is withing a reasonable price bracket (one of my relatives has ridiculously expensive tastes and so finding here anything at less than a few hundred quid is next to impossible).

By all means keep buying for the younger members of the family but it is time us adults gave it up.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, starting to sound like a right grinch now but I will add the demands on time.

My wife and I do not take much time off. That week or so at Xmas is a much needed break but inevitably it starts with family demands to go somewhere n Xmas day (never offers to come to us), and if we are not there Xmas day then the other family ask if we can come to them on boxing day, then we get slightly more distant relatives asking if we want to come and see the nieces and nephews so that is a couple more days and out and most to these are a 5 hour plus round trip in the car so before you know it, New Years Eve is here and we have hardly stopped.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
idiots in pubs ordering one drink at a time then going back to the table to ask what so and so wanted. All with a queue building and two frazzled bar staff trying to do everything. Either right it all down, put it on the phone or get someone to come to the bar with you but don't do it piece meal

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Xmas presents. I wish my family would just give up on them. We are all in our 50s now at least and if we want something, we buy it. This results in the annual struggle of trying to find something that my relatives want that is withing a reasonable price bracket (one of my relatives has ridiculously expensive tastes and so finding here anything at less than a few hundred quid is next to impossible).

By all means keep buying for the younger members of the family but it is time us adults gave it up.

100%

I stopped doing bday and Xmas present with my mate a few years ago. I said I don't want her to get me anything. Buy for the kids by all means but I don't want a present I'd rather she saved her cash

Went out for dinner with another mate and her finance this weekend. She kept asking what to get me and my wife for Xmas. I said let's make the meal the Xmas present to each other.. sod buying an wrapping something that we don't need. Just have the company

Wife was delighted as she buys the presents so saved her buying something lol 😆

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
We do a secret Santa for myside of the family and one for the wife's side, £50 for each, saves a fortune and a bit of crack.
We just buy for the kids as normal.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think part of the issue is both my mother and my mother in law.

They still expect the traditional family Xmas with the whole family round the table for a meal, exchanging presents etc. Sadly neither side will accept that their children are married and have similar expectations from the other side of the family, some have kids and want to be at home with their family and some just like to celebrate Xmas on their own. It is a very different picture to how they grew up when the extended family Xmas was seen as the essential event of the year, people live a bit differently now.

Anyway, that is my rant over about one of the reasons I find Xmas stressful is because you cannot please some people every year, sometimes you end up pleasing nobody and end up feeling guilty as a result.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
When we had kids we told our respective families we would be having Christmas Day at home so that the kids could enjoy their toys. As a child myself, many moons ago, my parents did the same… as my mum became a g’parent she forgot the ‘rule.’ There was never an issue. We had Boxing Day lunch with one set of g’parent, and tea with the other, alternating each year.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
When we had kids we told our respective families we would be having Christmas Day at home so that the kids could enjoy their toys. As a child myself, many moons ago, my parents did the same… as my mum became a g’parent she forgot the ‘rule.’ There was never an issue. We had Boxing Day lunch with one set of g’parent, and tea with the other, alternating each year.

Sadly my wife and I could not have kids and as such we have been expected to be part of everyone else plans and have rarely had the chance to develop a Christmas that we can call our own. Does not help that my wife's mum lives nearly 3 hours away and her dad nearly 6 hours away and so dropping in is not an option

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our’s might not be so fresh. We’re shopping Friday.

Mine certainly will not be fresh. I am doing veg shopping on Thursday night. Local restaurant owner gets the meat for Xmas so picking that up Saturday.

Could never understand my brother who takes the lottery of a Sainsburys delivery on Xmas eve despite the fact that it always causes a panic as something is missing or on its way out freshness wise.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Tell em you're a senior and cant remember where you left it.

I didn't go this morning. I don't do "compulsory fun or parlour games."

I swerved the Seniors Xmas lunch because they had some woman playing the piano and there was singing after. Get a couple of Welsh Folk in one place, there's an outbreak of singing!😂🤣

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Sorry, starting to sound like a right grinch now but I will add the demands on time.

My wife and I do not take much time off. That week or so at Xmas is a much needed break but inevitably it starts with family demands to go somewhere n Xmas day (never offers to come to us), and if we are not there Xmas day then the other family ask if we can come to them on boxing day, then we get slightly more distant relatives asking if we want to come and see the nieces and nephews so that is a couple more days and out and most to these are a 5 hour plus round trip in the car so before you know it, New Years Eve is here and we have hardly stopped.
Totally agree with this. I am fed up walking around trying to buy presents that people don't need purely because it's Christmas. I just ask myself what's the point. If I had my way it would be, enjoy Christmas but for goodness sake, let's forget the present buying for grown-ups.

RichA

Visit site
Sadly my wife and I could not have kids and as such we have been expected to be part of everyone else plans and have rarely had the chance to develop a Christmas that we can call our own. Does not help that my wife's mum lives nearly 3 hours away and her dad nearly 6 hours away and so dropping in is not an option
Same. Her siblings and mine decide whether they are having a quiet christmas with the kids or a big family christmas. We make no plans so we can fill in the gaps to make sure no elderlies get left on their own.
As a result, MrsA and I have occasionally had to spend christmas apart. We don't love this time of year as much as we would like to.