Christmas Preparations

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My Xmas tree is in the garage of my flat down on the coast. Previous plan was to pack up on Weds and drive down late evening for a quiet Xmas for two, with walks on the beach, all food bought, just needs taking down there. We don't see anyone down there, except may be my cousin on boxing day, for a walk on the beach with his Mrs, and his dog. Back on Jan 1.
Now? Who knows.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Luckily went out this morning and bought all I need for Xmas for 2. Can see supermarkets being hell tomorrow as people go out to try and get a Xmas dinner

More likely to be hell because of the people trying to return stuff for refund.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
We were supposed to be going to my sisters for Christmas Day, they have just been placed in tier 4 so that can no longer happen. We had agreed to split the shopping for the food, she was organising all the veg etc and I was doing the meat.

Chatting on the phone earlier I did have to laugh when I pointed out that she will need to get organised and sort some meat. I on the other hand have a 4kg pork shoulder to share with the wife. I know which situation I’d rather be in.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Try roasting sprouts. Far better taste. Mix with a but if pancetta and permesan, lovely

Try boiling them, covering them in melted chocolate, wrapping them in Ferrero Rocher wrappers that you've previously saved & handing them out at Halloween to the irritating halfwits who come round doing trick or treat.

It really is the only useful purpose of the Brussel sprout.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
My Xmas tree is in the garage of my flat down on the coast. Previous plan was to pack up on Weds and drive down late evening for a quiet Xmas for two, with walks on the beach, all food bought, just needs taking down there. We don't see anyone down there, except may be my cousin on boxing day, for a walk on the beach with his Mrs, and his dog. Back on Jan 1.
Now? Who knows.

Mind it doesn't pee down your leg (the dog, not your cousin). ;)

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought we were doing well and were on top of the shopping but having just checked through some kitchen cupboards I’ve now got a shopping list with another 16 items on it.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Sainsbury's delivered the routine stuff & a few treats this afternoon. Pick up the main Christmas bits from the Golf Club on Wednesday; a rolled turkey, Honeyroast Chipolatas, Pork and herb chipolatas, smoked streaky bacon, rolled gammon joint, Roast English Parsnips, Heritage Carrots & Red Onion with Maple Syrup & Balsamic Glaze, Creamy Cauliflower, Leek & Cheddar Gratin, a jar of Home-Made Cranberry Sauce with Orange, and a selection of cheeses with a jar of Home-Made Spiced Onion & Date Chutney, all courtesy of the club caterer. He will also be providing a large fruit & veg box, a Beef Bourguignon & a Chicken, Smoked Ham & Leek cobbler.

We might just survive until the New Year.

D

Deleted member 25172

There'll be some sort of Swedish christmas now after a run to the Scandi shop in London.

3 jars of pickled herring, ansjovies and julmust bought.

Also bought 2 bags of salt licorice , but I golloped that rather quickly.

Made my first ever "Jansson's frestelse" (Potatoes, onions, ansjovies and cream cooked in a tray in the oven) yesterday and it turned out rather well if I may say so. Will probably eat the whole batch and make a new one for christmas eve.

I should've bought 3 bottles of julmust (loosely translated to christmas juice) as I've already downed 1 of the 2 1.5 litre bottles. Coca-Cola have pretty much given up their efforts trying to make coke the number 1 soft drink in Sweden. We won't have it. Julmust is our thing - it's a must you could say...

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today's discovery is that dill sauce seems to be something that no shops sell any more. Asked in the local delicatessan and the nice lady there just says "Oh yeah, I've been looking for it too and I can't find it anywhere either!" It's fine, I was just being lazy, so instead I'll make it myself if can find some dill.