Batch cooking for the freezer

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do a lot of batch cooking for the freezer but most of the meals I cook have beef mince in them - lasagne, cottage pie, chilli etc. Apart from chicken curry, which is pretty much my only non-mince freezer recipe, what else would you recommend to cook in bulk and freeze?

Any recipes or internet links gratefully received.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I do a lot of batch cooking for the freezer but most of the meals I cook have beef mince in them - lasagne, cottage pie, chilli etc. Apart from chicken curry, which is pretty much my only non-mince freezer recipe, what else would you recommend to cook in bulk and freeze?

Any recipes or internet links gratefully received.

Its not that dissimilar but I regularly make an "indian spiced" shepherds pie with lamb mince which would work well..

Top tip - bit of cheese goes very nicely on top and your call if you'd rather fully mash the potato or leave it clumpy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My wife batch cooks stews, curries and soups all the time. Works out so much cheaper to make it in bulk, have a meal (or two) and store the rest. Plenty of recommendations and recipies online but what I may enjoy may not match your palette so I wouldn't make any direct recommendations

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Aubergine Parmigiana freezes well and is delicious, loads of different recipes out there. Here's one

On a slightly different tack we frequently have a roast chicken and always turn the bones into stock and then freeze them to make the base of a fairly quick soup later. Turkey stock is even better after xmas.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I made an Oxtail stew recently which would probably freeze well slightly varied this recipe and added in a couple of chillis to give it a bit of a lift also some onions, secret is long slow cooking.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are doing stuff for the freezer, remember you are slow freezing it and it will only have a shelf life of about 3 months so do not overdo it.

Commercially available frozen foods are fast frozen hence the long shelf life.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the only things i do tend to be things my wife doesn't like:

so Chili, Paella and Spanish Chicken. i make enough for 4 and freeze stuff for another 3 meals

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How about some more healthy veggie stuff?
Chick pea, potatoes, and cauliflower are all great for curry.
Jamie Oliver has a super veg chilli recipe with sweet potato and parsnip.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Personally I prefer to cook from scratch.

But, I do have some base sauce in the freezer for curries and tomato based dishes which I’ve made and use rather than jars. Stuff that takes too long to make from scratch every time.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Big multi use pasta sauce:

4 or 5 onions, a couple of carrots, 3 or 4 sticks of celery, all chopped small and put on a low heat with a dash of soy sauce and mixed herbs.
While that's softening for 10 or 15 minutes, dice 3 peppers, grate 3 carrots crush several garlic cloves and add those to the mix and low heat for another 10 mins or so.

Add two tins chopped tomatoes, 1 or 2 cartons of passata, tin of chick peas, load more herbs, worcestershire sauce, red wine if any knocking around, chilli powder or chopped chillis, plus anything else that takes your fancy.
Slow heat for another 10 or 15 mins and you're done.

Other possible additions:
Finely chopped mushrooms
Fried green beans
Fried bits of bacon and/or sausage
In fact whatever you like

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Big multi use pasta sauce:

4 or 5 onions, a couple of carrots, 3 or 4 sticks of celery, all chopped small and put on a low heat with a dash of soy sauce and mixed herbs.
While that's softening for 10 or 15 minutes, dice 3 peppers, grate 3 carrots crush several garlic cloves and add those to the mix and low heat for another 10 mins or so.

Add two tins chopped tomatoes, 1 or 2 cartons of passata, tin of chick peas, load more herbs, worcestershire sauce, red wine if any knocking around, chilli powder or chopped chillis, plus anything else that takes your fancy.
Slow heat for another 10 or 15 mins and you're done.

Other possible additions:
Finely chopped mushrooms
Fried green beans
Fried bits of bacon and/or sausage
In fact whatever you like
Soy sauce. 🤔

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I prefer to cook from scratch.

But, I do have some base sauce in the freezer for curries and tomato based dishes which I’ve made and use rather than jars. Stuff that takes too long to make from scratch every time.
Good old base sauce 😀

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We make buckets of spag bol and veg soup on a pretty regular basis.
Our family love my wife's spag boll so it is always handy for an unexpected meal.
Veg soup great for light lunch.