4BB and Matchplay Trial in Ireland

D-S

Visit site
I note that in the latest version of Guidance to the Rules of Handicapping as applied to GB&I one of the changes is the removal of reference to the 4BB and Matchplay trial in Golf Ireland. I assume that this has now been scrapped, if so, it would be interesting to have some news or report on this. At the EG Workshop back in November, when asked EG at that time had no news or update in this.

wjemather

Visit site
At the workshop I attended a few weeks ago, with nothing having happened in Ireland, it was hinted that Scottish Golf may have volunteered to undertake some trials.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
It would interesting to understand how such "trials" would be evaluated? Hopefully it would based on facts and data, but which facts and data?

D-S

Visit site
It would interesting to understand how such "trials" would be evaluated? Hopefully it would based on facts and data, but which facts and data?
It would be interesting to have any news whatsoever about it, none has been forthcoming so far. I assume they started it in November 2020 so something must have happened.

wjemather

Visit site
The specific aims of any trials are unknown, but given other jurisdictions around the world are already accepting such scores, it could simply be an evaluation of cultural acceptance and educational requirements involving a small number of clubs. In which case, facts and data would be limited.

D-S

Visit site
The specific aims of any trials are unknown, but given other jurisdictions around the world are already accepting such scores, it could simply be an evaluation of cultural acceptance and educational requirements involving a small number of clubs. In which case, facts and data would be limited.
Agreed, but 'limited' would be better than nothing at all - the only thing worse would be that the trial never happened as it was heralded (too big a word) as an evaluation of the future direction of travel for WHS in GB&I.

NearHull

Visit site
as stated in another thread, I joined 35 or so Handicap Committee members/Club Managers today at a WHS/Handicaps Seminar for East Riding Golf Clubs.

One speaker did state that SG is trialling BB as an acceptable score for handicaps. They thought, but couldn’t confirm, that it would be for results better than ‘2 below/38pts’ where one player has recorded 10 or more holes. I think the reasoning of the number of holes is related to the minimum number of holes that need to be completed to record an acceptable round for handicap.

D-S

Visit site
as stated in another thread, I joined 35 or so Handicap Committee members/Club Managers today at a WHS/Handicaps Seminar for East Riding Golf Clubs.

One speaker did state that SG is trialling BB as an acceptable score for handicaps. They thought, but couldn’t confirm, that it would be for results better than ‘2 below/38pts’ where one player has recorded 10 or more holes. I think the reasoning of the number of holes is related to the minimum number of holes that need to be completed to record an acceptable round for handicap.
Good to hear that this is being discussed as it certainly didn’t form part of the source material for these WHS Seminars from EG.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was at a WHS update last Thursday and the regional representative said the Ireland program to test matchplay rounds counting for handicap had never started.