4BB Competition and Social Score

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately that’s not from EG or CONGU as asked, and referred to in #26.

If I contact EG on a matter of handicap, EG will refer me to the County Handicap Adviser. To me, that means the County Handicap Adviser speaks for EG.

"as confirmed by CONGU and the R&A (so both Rules of Handicapping and Rules of Golf)" would seem to give it an air of authority.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have we he ard from EG or CONGU officially on this yet? I haven’t seen anything but may have missed it.

We heard officially when the Rules of Handicapping was published. Acceptable scores in the CONGU jurisdictions can only be returned from singles stroke play [Rule 2.1a] Fourball is not, whether a formal competition or a knock about with your friends, a singles format.

D-S

Visit site
If I contact EG on a matter of handicap, EG will refer me to the County Handicap Adviser. To me, that means the County Handicap Adviser speaks for EG.

"as confirmed by CONGU and the R&A (so both Rules of Handicapping and Rules of Golf)" would seem to give it an air of authority.
If I check with my County Handicap Advisor, they have not had anything official from EG or CONGU yet, hence my question.

D-S

Visit site
We heard officially when the Rules of Handicapping was published. Acceptable scores in the CONGU jurisdictions can only be returned from singles stroke play [Rule 2.1a] Fourball is not, whether a formal competition or a knock about with your friends, a singles format.
So a social score is not acceptable when played alongside an ‘amongst friends’ 4BB?
This seems to be not what has been accepted elsewhere and by many posting here. Have clubs made this clear to their members when advising re acceptance of ‘social scores’?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I posted, CONGU has determined that general play scores are not returnable when played within a team event (ie with a partner). The head concho at EG has told me that CONGU, EG (and no doubt the other unions) will be publishing a notice. I am awaiting an update on that.
I guess there may be some difficulty with the GUI having decided to trial the idea in 4BBB.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I check with my County Handicap Advisor, they have not had anything official from EG or CONGU yet, hence my question.

The person who emailed me with that information has a revised title of Regional Handicap Adviser which implies that she is now part of EG and not the County structure.

D-S

Visit site
The person who emailed me with that information has a revised title of Regional Handicap Adviser which implies that she is now part of EG and not the County structure.
County Handicap Advisors all have a Regional Handicap Advisor as the next rung above them in the ladder.
There needs to be some official communication / clarification so that clubs can advise their members as I am sure there will be a lot of social scores being posted despite being unacceptable able for handicapping.

wjemather

Visit site
As I posted, CONGU has determined that general play scores are not returnable when played within a team event (ie with a partner). The head concho at EG has told me that CONGU, EG (and no doubt the other unions) will be publishing a notice. I am awaiting an update on that.
I guess there may be some difficulty with the GUI having decided to trial the idea in 4BBB.
They are doing so in conjunction with "Most Likely Score"; I understand that the prevailing opinion is (or was) that the two go hand in hand.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
County Advisers are nominated by the county. Regional Advisers are chosen from them as the focal point for the County Advisers.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
So a social score is not acceptable when played alongside an ‘amongst friends’ 4BB?
This seems to be not what has been accepted elsewhere and by many posting here. Have clubs made this clear to their members when advising re acceptance of ‘social scores’?

What people do and what the rules say are not necessarily the same! I was just pointing out that according to the Rules of Handicapping, a score from a fourball is not acceptable in CONGU countries. We don't need any pronouncements from national bodies on that to know where we are at the moment. We do need to be told if there is to be any change, of course.

The fact that Ireland is conducting a trial of returning match play and fourball scores might suggest that there was thought to allow that in the future and bring us into line with other countries which already accept them but that it was felt necessary to do a study of the matter first. I don't know - that's entirely a guess on my part.

D-S

Visit site
“there was thought to allow that in the future and bring us into line with other countries which already accept them” - but to make us ‘out of line’ with the many countries who do not accept them.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Following on from above, 4 players A,B,C and D decide to submit individual “general play” scores, then pair up as A&B and C&D, for a 4BBB matchplay game concurrently. They putt out on every hole. But if B gives A any advice the players should add 2 strokes to their “general play” score each time, although it’s allowable for the matchplay, correct?
The next day, all 4 meet again but this time only A and C are submitting “general play” scores, B and D are caddying respectively. On this occasion, the same advice B gives A is allowable and doesn’t result in the general penalty for A, whereas the day before the same advice incurred a 2 stroke penalty. Correct ?
Logical?
OK, moving on from the above.
All four play again, this time A&B play matchplay against C&D, but only A and C have registered their intent to submit a “general play” card for handicap purposes. Can B and D give advice to their partners in this scenario?

Slightly off topic, but related, what about when it’s “teams of 4, best 2 to count” and one or two of the four register on the EG App to include their round as “general play”?

D-S

Visit site
All four play again, this time A&B play matchplay against C&D, but only A and C have registered their intent to submit a “general play” card for handicap purposes. Can B and D give advice to their partners in this scenario?

Slightly off topic, but related, what about when it’s “teams of 4, best 2 to count” and one or two of the four register on the EG App to include their round as “general play”?
If I am reading Colin L‘s post #44 correctly any of the players scores submitted whilst they are also playing a fourball matchplay or strokeplay (BB or 2 out of 4 etc.) are not acceptable for handicap purposes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

In effect it is any situation where 'partners' or 'team' members may be in a position to give advice whether they do or not.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site

If intending to submit scores for handicapping, players must only play, and follow the rules of, individual strokeplay.

They may enjoy a pairs/team side game, but they cannot use any of the special rules that apply to pairs/team formats.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

You mean during a competitive am-am? If I was the teams behind I'd be hoofing them up the arse for that. Absolute joke, total disrespect to the rest of the field.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
CONGU have ruled that scores from 4BBB or teams types events are not acceptable at all even if pre-registered