Mandatory Submission of Matchplay/4BB scores for Handicap

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
As in the other thread. Whs is an excellent framework that the authorities have tried to implement poorly.

Here's a clue for them

Golf isn't one game with a single objective.

In Strokeplay, the objective is to score as few as possible.

In Matchplay the objective is win the hole. A good Score isn't actually the aim, just one shot fewer than the other player(s).

How, can you then count a matchplay round for handicap? Easy. You can't.

They are trying to fix a different issue with the wrong solution.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As in the other thread. Whs is an excellent framework that the authorities have tried to implement poorly.

Here's a clue for them

Golf isn't one game with a single objective.

In Strokeplay, the objective is to score as few as possible.

In Matchplay the objective is win the hole. A good Score isn't actually the aim, just one shot fewer than the other player(s).

How, can you then count a matchplay round for handicap? Easy. You can't.

They are trying to fix a different issue with the wrong solution.
Absolutely…’square peg into round hole‘ comes to mind. You might be able to hammer the peg into the hole but both will be damaged.

D-S

Visit site
Interestingly one of the key selling points of WHS is the portability of one’s handicap worldwide. However, the source material (i.e. the scores from which it is derived) for this ‘universal’ number is distinctly different depending on location. I know the defenders of the faith will say that it accommodates different golfing cultures but it has to be said that this is a fundamental difference.
Also if I go on a two week golf holiday to Florida then possibly (and by rule) the majority of my record will be based on unacceptable scores here.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Scenario. 3rd tee Newport GC. Par 5, OB along all of the right hand side. I go first, reasonable drive, on the fairway. Opponent goes OB. Reloads, does the same OB again. He says a rude word and concedes the hole.

What do we both put in as our respective scores?

I guess net 2 over for him and, for me??? Anything would be daft as completely incalculable!!

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scenario. 3rd tee Newport GC. Par 5, OB along all of the right hand side. I go first, reasonable drive, on the fairway. Opponent goes OB. Reloads, does the same OB again. He says a rude word and concedes the hole.

I guess net 2 over for him and, for me??? Anything would be daft as completely incalculable!!
If he conceded the hole you effectively get a 2.
That’s how silly it is imo.

wjemather

Visit site
It really isn't difficult. To repeat from post #6...

Basic framework: inside 5 ft, add 1 stroke; between 5 ft and 20 yards, add 2 or 3 depending on the ability of the player and difficulty of the stroke faced; beyond 20 yards, add 3 or 4 depending on the ability of the player and difficulty of the stroke faced.

Note: these are guidelines (not inflexible rules) and common sense should be applied.

Edit: maybe requiring common sense is asking too much.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
I believe he would get a nett double bogey and you would have to put down a net par. However, when in the USA, I have mostly seen players just say put me down for a 'x' - x being some arbitrary fabricated number.
MLS has defined rules, but my experience is that many players do not have a clue and therefore just make it up as they go.

yandabrown

Visit site

It's definitely calculable as they have provided the formula, the fact that the formula is nonsense is another thing altogether. In your scenario a scratch player might put down 4, a 54 handicapper can put down 5!

"If the ball lies more than 20 yards (20 metres) from the hole:
Add 3 or 4 additional strokes, depending on the position of the ball, the difficulty of the green and the ability of the player."

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Basic framework: inside 5 ft, add 1 stroke; between 5 ft and 20 yards, add 2 or 3 depending on the ability of the player and difficulty of the stroke faced; beyond 20 yards, add 3 or 4 depending on the ability of the player and difficulty of the stroke faced.

Note: these are guidelines (not inflexible rules) and common sense should be applied.
That’s the problem!
There is a lack of common sense .
Who decides if under 20 yds it’s 2 or 3 shots.( “I am single figures so it’s 2 for me , but your a hacker so it’s 3 for you “) that’s going to go down well in a match.:censored:
When it’s just guesswork your asking for trouble.
Imho that formula is just a joke poorly thought through.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
One word: subjectivity.
The ruination of anything resembling a workable consistent approach/solution/etc.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I was playing the other day, warming up on the first tee I tweaked my shoulder while having a practice swing.
I decided to miss the hole as I wanted to give the shoulder a little while to recover and so, as I was on the tee and over 20 yards from the hole, I wrote down 4 for the hole (I'm modest so didn't want to write 3).

On the second tee my shoulder still didn't feel right so I again opted to miss the hole and wrote down a 4 for the hole.

This continued all the way round and I entered a 4 on each hole (apart from the 104 yard 11th where I was bold enough to give myself a 3!).

When I came to enter my score on the computer I was delighted to find that I'd broken par for the first time in my life! (par 72 course)
I love WHS!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Heres a genuine question for those few who think this is a good idea...
Would you concede a 5 foot putt?

If you would then I’ll take you on for money any time but you're only getting genuine gimmees.
If you wouldn't then you've just confirmed that this idea is a load of rats...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I remember sarcastically writing on here (on discovering that the intention was for us to put a card in every time we play) that they'll ask for scores from the practice putting green next!!

Maybe that's happening after matchplay scores and qualifiers from Pirate Pete's Adventure Golf? As that's in Bristol, anyone with the EGU App tell me if that's on there yet?

@Crow has it sussed. I'm shooting 66 on Saturday and I'll be round in 25 minutes!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I was playing the other day, warming up on the first tee I tweaked my shoulder while having a practice swing.
I decided to miss the hole as I wanted to give the shoulder a little while to recover and so, as I was on the tee and over 20 yards from the hole, I wrote down 4 for the hole (I'm modest so didn't want to write 3).

On the second tee my shoulder still didn't feel right so I again opted to miss the hole and wrote down a 4 for the hole.

This continued all the way round and I entered a 4 on each hole (apart from the 104 yard 11th where I was bold enough to give myself a 3!).

When I came to enter my score on the computer I was delighted to find that I'd broken par for the first time in my life! (par 72 course)
I love WHS!

To comply with the rules of the WHS you should have entered your score for each hole as "not played" because you didn't actually tee off :LOL::LOL::LOL:

D-S

Visit site
I remember sarcastically writing on here (on discovering that the intention was for us to put a card in every time we play) that they'll ask for scores from the practice putting green next!!

Maybe that's happening after matchplay scores and qualifiers from Pirate Pete's Adventure Golf? As that's in Bristol, anyone with the EGU App tell me if that's on there yet?

@Crow has it sussed. I'm shooting 66 on Saturday and I'll be round in 25 minutes!
As part of the local course rating team I can confirm that we haven’t been asked to rate Pirate Pete’s yet but I’ll let you know when we have, in the meantime I can recommend some other Mickey Mouse courses which are rated?

Visit site
Don’t even get me started on 9 hole general play scores!

I think there’s plenty of people going to put a GP card in - they have a mare on the back 9 (or front 9) and only enter the “good 9”.

But also, part of golf is keeping it going for 18 holes… Allowing anything that is not comparable to a competition round to be entered just creates inaccuracies in handicaps.

Maybe you should be allowed to enter 1 hole general play cards. Par down the 1st and pack it in for the day, extrapolate that out for a level par score. Scratch golfers hate this one new trick…

IanM

Journeyman Pro

Edit: maybe requiring common sense is asking too much.

Typical response . People can understand the guidelines, they just don't believe what they are reading.

Are you really advocating/defending a scoring system where you make up your score?

Last edited: