Mandatory Submission of Matchplay/4BB scores for Handicap

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It’s unenforceable what are they going to do if you don’t put your card in ?

If it's unenforceable then what's the point of having it, other than lunacy? And they are supposed to be in charge for our benefit.

Still, older & wiser; I never knew you could make up a score and submit it legitimately under the guise of MLS, I thought that was the US version of football.

D-S

Visit site
I believe Ireland are piloting MLS in either matchplay or 4BB (I can’t remember which) to see whether it could be introduced across CONGU. I have not seen any findings from this yet.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It doesn't assume (or guess) anything. It's "Most Likely Score, not "Virtually Certain Score".
"Most likely" will be different on different courses. I've moved now, but at my previous club the greens were VERY tricky and 5ft putts would be missed more often than not, even by CAT1 players. Writing down 1 more shot on the card in those circumstances is setting a very dangerous precedent.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm planning a trip to Pebble Beach in 2024. Based on this, I won't be joining the threeball I likely get paired with in any form of gambling! ? Unless they hole out everything and don't get mulligans! ?

wjemather

Visit site
I believe Ireland are piloting MLS in either matchplay or 4BB (I can’t remember which) to see whether it could be introduced across CONGU. I have not seen any findings from this yet.
The trial was to include some match play and some four-ball, but I've not seen anything to confirm it as having started.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
“I’m not going to play this hole mate, I average 0.2 under par so just use that as my most likely score”

Seriously, if MLS is what the golf governing bodies are talking in this context, they need to be replaced with competent people.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
MLS makess sense to me in some areas such as General play cards particularly those from swindles where gimmes are agreed with fellow players but not in in 4BBB or matchplay where ones whole mindset tends to be different to singles play.

E.G. last Saturday in a team game I took a 3 wood off the tee on a par 5 to try to ensure a 5 whereas normally it would be the driver to try to get a 4

Many a time playing for a double bogey deliberately can be good enough in match play but you would not do it in handicap stroke play.

D-S

Visit site
MLS makess sense to me in some areas such as General play cards particularly those from swindles where gimmes are agreed with fellow players but not in in 4BBB or matchplay where ones whole mindset tends to be different to singles play.

E.G. last Saturday in a team game I took a 3 wood off the tee on a par 5 to try to ensure a 5 whereas normally it would be the driver to try to get a 4

Many a time playing for a double bogey deliberately can be good enough in match play but you would not do it in handicap stroke play.
I must admit that I cannot square the instruction that cards submitted for handicap must be played striving for the best possible score and matchplay where the intent is not to have the best possible score but to have a better score per hole than one’s opponent. Two different things.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must admit that I cannot square the instruction that cards submitted for handicap must be played striving for the best possible score and matchplay where the intent is not to have the best possible score but to have a better score per hole than one’s opponent. Two different things.
Yes I was always taught if you have 2 putts to win the hole then take them.
Going for birdie / par when it’s unnecessary is foolish.
So trying for your best score on the hole is not always the right thing to do.