2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1147

I was just reading his comments on the course, I didn't think it was possible but my dislike grows for the fella every week.

"You can grow the rough up and hope you get some firm conditions so it gets tricky. I think the blueprint for a really good golf course isn't growing the rough up and making the fairways tight. That bunches everyone together."..................."The blueprint is something like Los Angeles Country Club, where you have wide targets, but if you miss it's penal. This isn't that sort of golf course. It's not that sort of layout. It doesn't have the land to do that.

So basically he only wants to play courses that play specifically to his skillset of hitting massive drives that can be a bit wayward.
He basically said the course is too short for the modern game, which frankly it is. It's under 7,000 yards.

Swango1980

Visit site
He basically said the course is too short for the modern game, which frankly it is. It's under 7,000 yards.
Yes, but your conclusion doesn't fit into the agenda of someone that wants every excuse to dislike McIlroy. I mean, how dare he offer any of his own critical assessment of any golf course. No other professional golfer would ever have a bad word to say about a golf course. None of us amateurs have ever been critical of any course we've played.

Although, I did chuckle that it was implied he was only being critical because the course didn't suit his skillset. I mean, he finished on -18 and in the top 10, managing 25 birdies and an eagle over 4 rounds, and ultimately only 5 shots behind the runaway leader. If the course doesn't suit McIlroy, then even bigger kudos to him for scoring like that.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is it worth putting the whole quote up ?

"I don't particularly like when a tournament is like this," McIlroy said. "Unfortunately, technology has passed this course by, right? It sort of has made it obsolete, especially as soft as it has been with a little bit of rain that we had.

"Again, like the conversations going back to, you know, limiting the golf ball and stuff like that, when we come to courses like this they just don't present the challenge that they used to.

"You can grow the rough up and hope you get some firm conditions so it gets tricky. I think the blueprint for a really good golf course isn't growing the rough up and making the fairways tight. That bunches everyone together.

"The blueprint is something like Los Angeles Country Club, where you have wide targets, but if you miss it's penal. This isn't that sort of golf course. It's not that sort of layout. It doesn't have the land to do that.

"Unfortunately when you get soft conditions like this and you've got the best players in the world, this is what's going to happen."

It all seems fair enough , LACC was a test , in some areas in was wide but if you miss it was penal , it was set up to ensure the player hitting the ball well from the fairway was the winner.
Don’t be silly, posting a balanced response doesn’t suit the agendas.

D

Deleted member 29109

I was just reading his comments on the course, I didn't think it was possible but my dislike grows for the fella every week.

"You can grow the rough up and hope you get some firm conditions so it gets tricky. I think the blueprint for a really good golf course isn't growing the rough up and making the fairways tight. That bunches everyone together."..................."The blueprint is something like Los Angeles Country Club, where you have wide targets, but if you miss it's penal. This isn't that sort of golf course. It's not that sort of layout. It doesn't have the land to do that.

So basically he only wants to play courses that play specifically to his skillset of hitting massive drives that can be a bit wayward.

You dislike someone more because you have chosen to take part of an honest answer to a question out of context?

How very strange.

D

Deleted member 18121

if its too short then surely he should be winning the competitions and not moaning about the courses?

You dislike someone more because you have chosen to take part of an honest answer to a question out of context?

How very strange.

Not at all, you've taken that out of context. I dislike him for many many reasons, not just this latest one.

Swango1980

Visit site
if its too short then surely he should be winning the competitions and not moaning about the courses?

Not at all, you've taken that out of context. I dislike him for many many reasons, not just this latest one.
Why would he win if it is too short? If it is too short, the same is true for all professional golfers. It is not like he was playing off the red tees and everyone else of the blacks.

No one is arguing you dislike him, but it was the logic you gave for this latest reason as being out of context. Do you not think you simply come across as bitter?

Springveldt

Visit site

I don't understand why you would dislike him more for him just speaking his mind and basically telling the truth. He's right in that the course is too short for the modern game with how far they are hitting the ball. At one point yesterday Bradley was -26 for 66 holes. That's mental.

I like how Rory is so forthright in his answers, he doesn't shy away from speaking his mind.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I said before the weekend, Rory just isn’t good enough at the moment. The last few days proves it, he keeps on coming up short - and let’s not forget, the fields are weakened with the exception of the majors.

D

Deleted member 15344

Rory always seems to get a bit of “dislike” - think it’s natural when sportsmen are that good , Woods got it as well

I can remember a few reactions on here when he split up with the tennis player , Christ you would think he had murdered someone

Rory is a superb golfer , he is open when he speaks and has no problems speaking his mind - it’s refreshing - but some will just not like him and go against him

I said before the weekend, Rory just isn’t good enough at the moment. The last few days proves it, he keeps on coming up short - and let’s not forget, the fields are weakened with the exception of the majors.

To call someone “not good enough” just because they don’t win every week is complete nonsense, by your “theory” - the only person good enough is the player that wins , unless you really don’t have any concept of how hard it is to win a professional golf event.

Rory is good enough , more than good enough and has shown it many times over

Last edited by a moderator:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I think some fairness needed. I’ll never be a fan of his but he’s still right up there mixing it time after time & we all know pro golf isn’t like pro tennis where you know the seeds will get to the finals time after time

I’ll always root for the other fella when Rory’s playing but credit where its due I think...

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Away from Rory "if only" McIlroy, it was a good win for Keegan Bradley and another top five for the very consistent Scottie Scheffler.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Speaking your mind is one thing but Rory speaks his mind constantly and it's always a whine. He just comes across as a whiner really. He whines about everything. Rarely does he 'speak his mind' with anything positive.

Swango1980

Visit site
Speaking your mind is one thing but Rory speaks his mind constantly and it's always a whine. He just comes across as a whiner really. He whines about everything. Rarely does he 'speak his mind' with anything positive.
Hang on a sec, whining about what constantly?

He has complained about LIV. That is ONE thing he has "whined" about, and as it has been a HUGE factor in golf over the last year, then clearly he will be asked time and time again what he thinks on any developments. And now that he has given his simple critical assessment about the potential limitations of a course he has just played, that is also whining?

I suspect if you broke down every single thing he has said over the last year, there would be a hell of a lot of positive points he has made. Problem is, people only pick up on the negative headlines, and then use them as clickbait.

Swango1980

Visit site
Interesting that you think Scheffler is no longer good enough, as the weekend has just proven it for you.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

He has complained about LIV. That is ONE thing he has "whined" about, and as it has been a HUGE factor in golf over the last year, then clearly he will be asked time and time again what he thinks on any developments. And now that he has given his simple critical assessment about the potential limitations of a course he has just played, that is also whining?

I suspect if you broke down every single thing he has said over the last year, there would be a hell of a lot of positive points he has made. Problem is, people only pick up on the negative headlines, and then use them as clickbait.
He's whined about LIV on a fortnightly basis for about two years. He whines about the golf courses - coincidentally mainly the ones he didn't win on. Whining about the golf balls when he's seemingly the only professional who's swimming against the tide and actually wants the limited distance balls. I do take your point that he gets asked about absolutely every issue though because he is who he is. Maybe he should do less interviews or only do ones where he can give positive answers for a while. 😄

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

To be fair to the readers (us) his 'negative' comments are for more widely reported on so thats what we'll see. We'd have to do a fair bit of digging to come up with reports on his 'everything's cool/life is great' comments

Not really the readers fault

D

Deleted member 29109

Is it whining when just giving his honest opinion to a question? Maybe the questions need to be better.

You’d all be complaining if he just gave stock media training answers.

Swango1980

Visit site
He's whined about LIV on a fortnightly basis for about two years. He whines about the golf courses - coincidentally mainly the ones he didn't win on. Whining about the golf balls when he's seemingly the only professional who's swimming against the tide and actually wants the limited distance balls. I do take your point that he gets asked about absolutely every issue though because he is who he is. Maybe he should do less interviews or only do ones where he can give positive answers for a while. 😄
He has complained about LIV, I give you that. However, there are many PGA players and representatives that feel the same, and maybe even more strongly. But, the media are mainly interested on what McIlroy has to say. I suppose he can either give us a very considered view as a response, and tell us exactly how he feels. Or, he can just become another robotic sportsman who says absolutely nothing at all, even when they speak they say nothing at all apart from some generic rubbish. If that is the sort of sportsperson you prefer, then fair enough. Although, I don't mind it when they have a bit of personality about them, and can actually offer an opinion.

It is ironic that McIlroy is now being accused of being a whiner, by people coming on social media to whine about what McIlroy has to say. The difference is that McIlroy is not really whining at all, but giving his own considered opinion on things he has asked about. He knows a heck of a lot more about professional golf than us, as that is what he does, so although he may still be giving opinions, they are from a person who could be considered an expert in that field. Whereas, there seem to be a few on here who take a headline or a statement, and then completely shift the context for the very purpose of giving them something to moan about.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't disagree with you two. Just because I'm sick of hearing Rory's whining, it's not necessarily all his fault. He's just answering questions that he's been asked I guess. The media are putting his whining out there all the time to make a story, and unfortunately, it does put me off him. I can't help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.