Oldest club champion 2024.

D-S

Visit site
In our county we have a player who at the age of 88 shot 74 gross, 14 shots below his age, around his home course off the whites with a CR of 71.9.

All the counting scores on his record are well below his age and his most recent qualifier last autumn was 3 below his age of 94, again off the whites at over 6.500 yards.

Age is a number, class is permanent.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have seen some pretty ridiculous comments posted on this forum in the last couple of years but anyone suggesting that a club champion should be decided on a nett basis really takes the biscuit.
Most people were not suggesting that it should be nett but pointing out that quite a number of club champions are based on a handicapped competition.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not a club champion but, probably, my last club’s 2nd most prestigious competition. Top 4 best nett scores qualify for a knockout. One of the members beat his age(72), 71 nett 66 to qualify. The fact he’d been battling cancer for a couple of years too added to the achievement.

Should the winner of a club championship be best nett or best gross? That’s up to the members.

Personally, I’d go with best gross. How can someone be the best champion golfer for the year knowing that others have played better golf? There’s 51 other weeks of the year for handicap golf, thank god!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In our county we have a player who at the age of 88 shot 74 gross, 14 shots below his age, around his home course off the whites with a CR of 71.9.

All the counting scores on his record are well below his age and his most recent qualifier last autumn was 3 below his age of 94, again off the whites at over 6.500 yards.

This is exactly the type of player Rick Shiels et al should be trying to get on their channel.
To my knowledge no one has done it and would make far better viewing that check out this video of me playing 18 holes vs this 16 year old +4 handicapper.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah club championship has to be a 36 hole scratch comp

Although we have a couple of 36 hole handicap comps I’d love to win one see it as a great test to put back to back rounds together at my standard of play

Swango1980

Visit site
This is exactly the type of player Rick Shiels et al should be trying to get on their channel.
To my knowledge no one has done it and would make far better viewing that check out this video of me playing 18 holes vs this 16 year old +4 handicapper.
I'm not sure many 80 year olds have used YouTube, know who Rick Shiels is or wishes to increase their social media following to become an influencer :)

hurstybp70

Visit site
G'day all, a 75 Yr old male won our 2 day club championship 2023-2024 season at Garesfield Golf Club, near Newcastle. It's a difficult parkland 18 hole course over 100 yrs old.
I suspect this is some kind of record for a guy this age. Any comments welcome please. Cheers.
Just to be clear gentlemen, I refer to the net club champion. 2 years ago, he won the net club championship off 1, in 2023 he won it again off 10.
Stressing his age, does anyone know of a similar or better feat than this. I am well aware the gross is the champion of the club. However we all have handicaps and I simply ask at 75 ys of age is this some kind of record for English golf clubs?

hurstybp70

Visit site
Just to be clear gentlemen, I refer to the net club champion. 2 years ago, he won the net club championship off 1, in 2023 he won it again off 10.
Stressing his age, does anyone know of a similar or better feat than this. I am well aware the gross is the champion of the club. However we all have handicaps and I simply ask at 75 ys of age is this some kind of record for English golf clubs?
Typos, nett and off 11, 2 years ago. Cheers😁

Swango1980

Visit site
I doubt it. Assuming handicaps do their job, then technically anyone on the field should have a chance to win a nett prize.

I guess it might be rare in the sense only a small number if players at that age play in the main club events at many clubs. But I've still known a good number of higher age Seniors win main club events over the years at my club, so could just as easily be done on a club champ weekend.

Still, bigger kudos to him for playing off 10 at that age. I'd be delighted with that when I get to 75.

D-S

Visit site
See post #81

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have seen some pretty ridiculous comments posted on this forum in the last couple of years but anyone suggesting that a club champion should be decided on a nett basis really takes the biscuit. A club champion is the best player in the club over 36 holes whether it be one day or two. I have been fortunate enough to win three of them and the adulation and respect you have for that year is well earned.

Who was the Champion Golfer last year? Brian Harman or some bloke scoring 44 points off a dodgy 18 handicap?
Calm down dear, you'll give yourself an accident. Nobody said the club champion should be off nett. 😆

sunshine

Visit site
🤣🤣🤣🤣 what a comedian.

11 handicapper wins a competition but somehow it’s special cos he’s 75.

The only record here is your wind up thread is going to generate over 100 replies. Fair play 👏😂

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

Class that

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Last year I played with an 83 year old who was still playing off 7. He was brilliant! Steady Eddie who just played regulation golf but struggled on the longer holes and towards the end of the round.

Playing with him was one of my favourite club comp rounds.

He was lamenting having to hit a 3 wood on our par 3 14th - "I used to hit a bloody 8 iron here, once it gets to driver I'll call it a day I think."