Oldest club champion 2024.

sunshine

Visit site
Did we get to the bottom of this? Did the old fella win a nett competition or is he just the best out of a very average bunch of golfers? (Can’t imagine their scratch team wins much)

And why is the club championship held in early March? Course condition must be terrible although a bit of a leveller.

Sorry I can’t be bothered to read a long series of detailed explanations of everyone’s club championship.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did we get to the bottom of this? Did the old fella win a nett competition or is he just the best out of a very average bunch of golfers? (Can’t imagine their scratch team wins much)

And why is the club championship held in early March? Course condition must be terrible although a bit of a leveller.

Sorry I can’t be bothered to read a long series of detailed explanations of everyone’s club championship.
Can't provide the definitive answer - but a Google search shows the Garesfield club championship of 2021 was played in July and was off scratch. Draw your own conclusions.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes ours run concurrently so technically someone could win both, but the chances of the gross winner winning the nett would be pretty low.

I mean, it's very elitist because the good players don't have any chance of winning anything 51 weeks a year 😉
Happened at our place a few years back where the winner off 4 won both the gross and net comps

mister v

Visit site
our club champion is a scratch matchplay event and then the final is over 36 holes.
there is also a 2 day scratch and nett comp .

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Our club champs is 36 holes over 2 days. There is a gross and a nett prize. The club champion is the winner of the gross prize.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't provide the definitive answer - but a Google search shows the Garesfield club championship of 2021 was played in July and was off scratch. Draw your own conclusions.

It was a guy called Dennis who won the nett comp last summer. You have to bear in mind, this is the same club who put a plaque on the wall for a lad who broke the course record…off the yellow tees 🤣 Some of the yellow tees are way forward of the whites 😬

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our Seniors Club Championship is a concurrent event for both scratch and handicap run over 2 days.
There is a trophy and honours board for both and it is possible to win both in the same year as has been done by a few of us.

The ladies have both run concurrently on the same day over 36 holes (although the nett may be over 18 holes).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Whether its gross or nett aren’t they both as meaningful/meaningless as each other when identifying Club Champ?

Just because you happen to be available and able to shoot lowest score (nett or gross) on a given day or two over the year is a bit random/luck of the draw. ;)
If you’re gonna hand out the accolade of club champion then surely a season long order or merit is the way to go

(we do 2 day 36 holes with nett as the Club Champ and equal prizes for lowest gross)

RichA

Visit site
Ours is. It's hardly a "Championship" if it's not scratch
Not wishing to burst anyone's bubbles, but the "championship" at any particular local recreational golf club isn't exactly elite sport. Does it matter if someone else's club uses net or gross scores?

D

Deleted member 35504

Whether its gross or nett aren’t they both as meaningful/meaningless as each other when identifying Club Champ?

Just because you happen to be available and able to shoot lowest score (nett or gross) on a given day or two over the year is a bit random/luck of the draw. ;)
If you’re gonna hand out the accolade of club champion then surely a season long order or merit is the way to go

(we do 2 day 36 holes with nett as the Club Champ and equal prizes for lowest gross)
A bit like the Open Champion, the Masters Champion, the US Open Champion, the USPGA Champion?

Having a nett winner as Club Champion is just Mickey Mouse.

RichA

Visit site
A bit like the Open Champion, the Masters Champion, the US Open Champion, the USPGA Champion?

Having a nett winner as Club Champion is just Mickey Mouse.
Being overly concerned whether the local butcher, baker or candlestick maker got their name on the board with a gross or net score is a bit Disney anyway. It's not even a tin cup at most recreational clubs, certainly not a claret jug or green jacket.

D

Deleted member 35504

Being overly concerned whether the local butcher, baker or candlestick maker got their name on the board with a gross or net score is a bit Disney anyway. It's not even a tin cup at most recreational clubs, certainly not a claret jug or green jacket.
Do you actually play at a proper golf club?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Elite level competition in virtually any sport is well above what most people do by definition. It doesn't devalue what they do though it may put it into perspective. A Nobel prize is way above a PhD it doesn't mean a PhD has been easy to attain or isn't worthwhile in itself.

Personally I would think that being the club champion in even a moderately competitive golf club would be very satisfying in a way that being the nett club champion would not be.

I don't really see the point in calling someone a club champion if it is handicapped, however each to their own.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
there is much talk on this thread about elite golf.

We have a Club Comp. "The Mugs Cup" which is NOT elite. I won in 2004. Think it may have been for members with a handicap of 18 +. Being a winner did not give me exemption to The Club Championship in 2005 although I could have entered!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't really see the point in calling someone a club champion if it is handicapped, however each to their own.
I agree.
The Club Champs off scratch is the only comp throughout the year that a low handicapper has a real chance of winning. All other net comps are normally won by people with the wrongist handicap.

Just my opinion of course... from someone who learned his golf when a net prize was a new Dunlop 65

images.jpeg