MyGolfSpy Ball Test 2023

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see they say “soft is slow” but Chrome soft seem to feature well in distance - are they not low compression?
I think the Chrome Soft is only soft by premium ball standards. When you start looking at two-piece balls a lot of them will be softer? Like the Ad333, the Wilson Duo, Callaway Supersoft, etc. Actually they included the latter two in their test for some reason, and they are 46 and 47 compression while the Chrome Soft is 72.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm trying to stick to one type and have settled on the Seed 01 just now. It does everything I need and a good bit cheaper than pro v's

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Been doing some extensive comparisons via the charts at the bottom of the article and it seems like, for me, it's between Chrome Soft X LS, Pro V1x and the Z-Star Diamond. Looking at the prices, this probably means the Z-Star which, even with the offers that are out there, work out at £2.99 a ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been doing some extensive comparisons via the charts at the bottom of the article and it seems like, for me, it's between Chrome Soft X LS, Pro V1x and the Z-Star Diamond. Looking at the prices, this probably means the Z-Star which, even with the offers that are out there, work out at £2.99 a ball.
I was pleased to see the ball I've been using, Bridgestone RXS, comes out of the test really well so I could just stick with that - or give the Titleist TourSpeed a go. TM Tour Response that I used to use is way down on distance so I won't go back to that - although it's a bit weird because I don't think any other review or test said they were short off the tee.

sjw

Visit site
When the difference in percentage terms from one amateur swing to the next is larger than that between between different balls' performance, for the most of us we should just be buying what's best value.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ball I prefer (Callaway Supersoft) came out pretty crap but I don't think I'll change.
I'm not sure why they compared it to a bunch of premium balls anyway, there's no point. If you're using them it's because you want a soft ball that doesn't spin, surely you don't need testing to tell you that. 😆

Bobthesock

Visit site
So it seems there is about 2 yards difference between the longest and shortest balls on test. I've always thought there is little difference really.
A flop shot out of a bunker with an old slazenger is going to spin. A bladed wedge with a pro v1 won't.
I'll stick to playing whatever I find

Bobthesock

Visit site
Low speed driver swing.........longest to shortest..........you're 11.6 yards out.
Bigger gap at higher swing speeds...
View attachment 49379
Fair enough, I was just looking at the top 10. Still I'm not sure that someone with an 85mph swing speed can hit it 224 yards with any ball consistently. I would say the strike affects distance much more than the ball they are using

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough, I was just looking at the top 10. Still I'm not sure that someone with an 85mph swing speed can hit it 224 yards with any ball consistently. I would say the strike affects distance much more than the ball they are using
My swing speed is 85mph and coincidentally my average drive is around 225 yards. Can easily reach 240 in good conditions with a good strike.

Bobthesock

Visit site
My swing speed is 85mph and coincidentally my average drive is around 225 yards. Can easily reach 240 in good conditions with a good strike.
I'm not doubting you but I reckon either you swing faster than you think or your course is a lot drier than mine! I'm happy with 225 swinging in the low-mid 90s!
Or maybe it's those pesky tp5s to blame

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not doubting you but I reckon either you swing faster than you think or your course is a lot drier than mine! I'm happy with 225 swinging in the low-mid 90s!
Or maybe it's those pesky tp5s to blame
85mph is what Trackman told me back in November last year. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Of course we were talking total distance, in winter it's lucky to get over 200.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At H4H the titleist guy suggested the Tour speed.

I’ve used them twice and they’re long with a driver and have great spin off the irons into greens.

I’m not sure whether to switch to the Tour Speed or carry on with either the Seed balls or the Z stars