US Open 2023

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember some of Rory’s dad’s friends betting on Rory winning a major within 10 years,some won 50k.
Imagine then trying to put a bet that Rory wouldn’t win another within another 10 years,the odds would have been 1/100,something no one would have foreseen.

He was virtually handed it on a plate yesterday as 99% of opposition blew their chance,once again Rory failed to deliver.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Guess it is the nature of the beast that over the week Rory has more of these type of headlines than Justin Thomas, who's last few weeks haven't gone to plan...

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf is virtually unique in first class sport in the final outcome having a fair degree of chance.
The time at which one tees off is but one variable every time you hit a shot the actual wind will have random gusts in both direction and intensity. Small and random differences in where a ball lands can have dramatic differences in the proximity to the hole or to a hazard.

Whereas it is very common in tennis and other sports for the person identicied at the beginning as the favourite to win whereas in golf even clearly superior golfer such as prime Nicklaus and Woods lose far more often than they win when they play a tournament.
Anyone finishing one shot from the lead in a 270 shot event is capable of winning it and may well have won it with a slightly different outcome in any one of those slightly random outcome shots, to pretend otherwise is absurd.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Unfortunately Rory will always get this treatment. He gets massive hyperbole at times "on his days he's the best around" trotted outbwhen in the last decade that simply isn't true. Many have bested him.

Gotta take the rough with the smooove imo. The worrying thing is simply that just like the open last year. The round was there for the taking and he didn't take it. If your are lauded as the best around then going round level when numerous went low is imo a shortcoming.

D

Deleted member 1147

I remember some of Rory’s dad’s friends betting on Rory winning a major within 10 years,some won 50k.
Imagine then trying to put a bet that Rory wouldn’t win another within another 10 years,the odds would have been 1/100,something no one would have foreseen.

He was virtually handed it on a plate yesterday as 99% of opposition blew their chance,once again Rory failed to deliver.
Didn’t he shoot the same final round score are the winner ?

Last edited by a moderator:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best score from players in the final 4 groups was a 70, which Rory shot.

He now has 29 Top 10 finishes in majors, not too shabby for a 34 year old.
Not too shabby
However absolutely nowhere near what he should have achieved given the talent he has.
He’s underachieved massively in majors.
He should have 8 minimum,he knows it,most people know it,but the Rory fan boys just won’t except it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Best score from players in the final 4 groups was a 70, which Rory shot.

He now has 29 Top 10 finishes in majors, not too shabby for a 34 year old.
I believe that is 3 more top tens than Faldo.
Faldo got his last one at age 50.
Rory is 34.
Rory looks set to double Faldo's tally, maybe, maybe more.
Looking forward to Rory's knighthood.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not too shabby
However absolutely nowhere near what he should have achieved given the talent he has.
He should have 8 minimum,he knows it,most people know it,but the Rory fan boys just won’t except it.

If he doesn't win at Hoylake doesn't it make it a straight ten years without a Major - that's not just down to being unlucky on a Sunday.

kuchingvet

Visit site
Because he’s usually in contention and has won 4 majors.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in the final group on Sunday night. Just like at the Memorial last week. Booming massive drives down the middle of the fairway, only having a wedge in so able to attack the pins. But then scrambling to save par while everyone else at the top of the leaderboard is making birdies.
How right you are and were.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Not too shabby
All statements like this really show is the massive disrespect people have for the winners, rather than some insight into how McIlroy performs. His consistency in the world rankings is a much better indication of his ability and performance.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not too shabby
I still believe he has a caddy issue. Fully appreciate it is his mate, and McIlroy feels it is best for him overall. After all, I'm sure it is a big decision to make when you are with each other for so much of your lives.

But, watching Clark, his caddy lined him up on every green. He talked him through every shot. All Clark had to do after that is hit the shot. If it doesn't work, blame the caddy. Although an excellent caddy won't make many mistakes.

McIlroy obviously likes to figure it out on his own. Except not only does he need to execute the shot, he needs to make the decisions. We've all second guessed ourselves at times, and messed up a shot. And sometimes we just make a bad decision. If McIlroy had a caddy that was 100% certain on what shot play, it would take so much pressure off his shoulders I think. Even if more often than not, the caddy is just agreeing with McIlroy, thus avoiding double guessing himself.

I also don't think McIlroy is the greatest at reading putts, and some caddys are excellent. If he had a caddy like that, I reckon it would help massively.

At that level, marginal gains. He is such a good player, he will always do well generally. But, I'd imagine his caddy isn't rated as one of the best. If Rory did have one of the best caddies, and they got on well off the course, I think it would help hugely. Especially in tournaments when the pressure is high.

Springveldt

Visit site
How right you are and were.
Did you even watch the final round? Who out of the leaders was making birdies everywhere and how many times did Rory have to scramble for par?

If anything he was a bit too conservative on his targets into some greens but he hit so many in regulation you would hope that a couple of putts would drop at some point.

Like @Swango1980 said, I’m beginning to think he maybe needs a change of caddie, one that can read putts as both this round and the last round at St Andrews his reads were slightly off and it cost him.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory for me when he is on it, is the best player in the world.
When you see how good he is, it's probably embarrassing to say he has underachieved as most players would bite your hand off for a fraction of his wins.
The problem is, he is that good and when you are that good and fall short, it's almost like disbelief for fans and pundits.
In my opinion, if you asked Rory right now if he's underachieved in his career, he'd say yes.
To go 9 years without a Major is unbelievable really and forget all the other wins and rankings.
The best players are always judged against the Majors.
You could probably say Brooks has been the best player in the last 10 years with 5 majors.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I still believe he has a caddy issue. Fully appreciate it is his mate, and McIlroy feels it is best for him overall. After all, I'm sure it is a big decision to make when you are with each other for so much of your lives.

But, watching Clark, his caddy lined him up on every green. He talked him through every shot. All Clark had to do after that is hit the shot. If it doesn't work, blame the caddy. Although an excellent caddy won't make many mistakes.

McIlroy obviously likes to figure it out on his own. Except not only does he need to execute the shot, he needs to make the decisions. We've all second guessed ourselves at times, and messed up a shot. And sometimes we just make a bad decision. If McIlroy had a caddy that was 100% certain on what shot play, it would take so much pressure off his shoulders I think. Even if more often than not, the caddy is just agreeing with McIlroy, thus avoiding double guessing himself.

I also don't think McIlroy is the greatest at reading putts, and some caddys are excellent. If he had a caddy like that, I reckon it would help massively.

At that level, marginal gains. He is such a good player, he will always do well generally. But, I'd imagine his caddy isn't rated as one of the best. If Rory did have one of the best caddies, and they got on well off the course, I think it would help hugely. Especially in tournaments when the pressure is high.

I heard more back and forth between player and caddy with Clarke in the first 3 holes than I ever have with rory and Harry.

Either they don't show it on tv or there is very little discussion going on.

Really is odd to see or not see in this case.