US Open 2023

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I did not know much about WC before this week. I've just watched "every shot" video of his final round on youtube.
The swing is completely different, but his shot-making and general style of play reminded me very much of Trevino.
He has a game that could be very suitable for The Open. Looking forward to seeing him in that.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

This been discussed anywhere in the thread ?

What was said last night ?

Whether the ball moved or not, is he flattening the grass behind the ball ?
cant see anything wrong myself....looks like he is placing the wedge under its own weight behind the ball to see how it sits before choosing which club to use...nothing wrong with that

Voyager EMH

Visit site

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Harsh. He played well enough to win the tournament, I don’t know if you watched the last round or not but he had so many putts that were within 1cm of being good, nothing would drop. He’s beat everyone you would expect him to have to beat to win but Clark played probably the best round of his life last night considering the pressure he was under.

It’s not like Rory threw this away, his game was good enough to win. Just a combination of over reading a couple of putts and 1 other guy playing inspired golf.

Evidently, he did not.

If he’s missing putts by a cm, that’s on Rory.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t buy into this “lowest score not to win a US Open” that’s just a nice little stat to make Rory and his fan boys feel a little better. As much as I like him as a golfer he didn’t get over the line again and it’s very very frustrating.
Another level par Sunday in a major to put on the pile. It's amazing how often it has gone one of two ways for him. He's either miles out of contention and shoots the lights out to finish top 5 - or he's right in the mix but fails to hole anything, level par and isn't quite good enough to win.

Still say fair play to him getting another top 5 despite his iffy form and the LIV merger nonsense he's had to deal with though.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I don’t buy into this “lowest score not to win a US Open” that’s just a nice little stat to make Rory and his fan boys feel a little better. As much as I like him as a golfer he didn’t get over the line again and it’s very very frustrating.
Frustrating - maybe. But he's got £1,685,000 to console himself with.
Life can't be that bad?

Jason.H

Visit site
I don’t get why Rory complains so much when he misses those putts. The green, slopes, grain, wind and the line is there to be read.

D

Deleted member 15344

Another level par Sunday in a major to put on the pile. It's amazing how often it has gone one of two ways for him. He's either miles out of contention and shoots the lights out to finish top 5 - or he's right in the mix but fails to hole anything, level par and isn't quite good enough to win.

Still say fair play to him getting another top 5 despite his iffy form and the LIV merger nonsense he's had to deal with though.

The player who won also went around level par - because it wasn’t easy later in the day , he was there all day long , at times he had to hang in and at times he had missed opportunities.

It’s not easy to win a major or indeed any tournament, it’s always fine margins - not sure the pile on to him after any event he doesn’t win.
I don’t get why Rory complains so much when he misses those putts. The green, slopes, grain, wind and the line is there to be read.

Because he is more than frustrated with himself at we have all been there where we have started a putt on the line we think is right but it doesn’t turn as expected or goes a bit quicker etc

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The player who won also went around level par - because it wasn’t easy later in the day , he was there all day long , at times he had to hang in and at times he had missed opportunities.

It’s not easy to win a major or indeed any tournament, it’s always fine margins - not sure the pile on to him after any event he doesn’t win.
I just think it's funny and incredible how often the exact same Sundays repeat themselves for him. It's like clockwork.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not able to watch live so I’ve been relying on ytube highlights (which have been good) and I’ll get first chance to watch final day coverage this evening, really hope Fowler can hang on & get the win (y)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Thought Rory's lag putting was good, not sure hit enough shots close enough though.
Maybe ironic but the kind of golf he's played in some majors recently have been reminiscent of Jack & Faldo eras - of hanging around while others falter, except these days someone doesn't falter and pips you.

D

Deleted member 1147

Thought Rory's lag putting was good, not sure hit enough shots close enough though.
Maybe ironic but the kind of golf he's played in some majors recently have been reminiscent of Jack & Faldo eras - of hanging around while others falter, except these days someone doesn't falter and pips you.
Being as Faldo "only" got 6 and Jack has more 2nd places than any one else, it would appear that people often pipped them too.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
McIlroy did very little wrong in many ways. Played sensible with decent course management. Hit a lot of really good putts that missed by a fraction. Some headlines make it sound like he shot well over par and played pretty poor

It's almost like he needs a mix of both worlds . Steady for 3 days then shoot the lights out ala normal Sunday when he's been out of contention

That said he has already improved on Augusta not making cut